Uses/Functions of Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

emphosis

Apr 20, 2004
emphosis.deviantart.com
Hi guys,

I do actually need some help. I've a project about, "What's the function of photography?" I need some passerby comments to guide me through this project of mine.

My point of view:

I feel that the functions of photography is to express our feelings which our inner thoughts couldn't show, capturing the lovely/sad/tragic moments as memories. Everything happens for a moment, and it happen for a reason, photography shall guide us through our lives, teaching us our past, to be a better person. Well, Maybe what I said is just plain crap, but I really wanna know how does a photographer feels about the functions of photography. Be it scenary shots, portraits, still, street, architecture, cityscape or so, why do we actually need photography in our lives?

I hope I can get good respond over this topic, as I've went through national library and my school library, the question is still a suspense to me. I tried my best to search online, but none of them are relevant to my project topic.

If there are kind souls out there could help me with this, please do guide me along with URL/Books title, or even comments. I truly appreciate those who bother to attend to me ;)

Thanks Alot :D

I want to be a photographer because I'm lazy of talking :embrass:
I'm trying to communicate with people through my photo. I'm just happy that one of my friends actually knows the meaning some of my photos. Although there's much space for improvement. I really hope that I can reach the point where I don't really need to talk about my photos, but people would know it straight away :embrass:

However, it's still a long way to go...
Ora Et Labora....

Personally,

Photography is an extension of my mentality, perspectives and creativity to the people around me - it allows me to share my views thru my own visualisation of the scene and through it, allows me to communicate to the viewers a perception of me

Period

^.^ :)

To me, photography is a documentation of my life and the life of people around me. And although its a pesonal experience, it allows me to cross those boundaries to share what I see, feel with others.

photography is part of my on going weight loss and also cholestrol level maintenance program.

2 thumbs up to photography...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Photography is about interpretations...
perceive that I wish and wish not.

Photography is about realisation...
that beauty is subjective but Nature is all encompassing.

Photography is about potential...
every passing moment presents an opportunity.

Photography is about life...
embrace and live it to the fullest.

sebastiansong said:
Photography is about interpretations...
perceive that I wish and wish not.

Photography is about realisation...
that beauty is subjective but Nature is all encompassing.

Photography is about potential...
every passing moment presents an opportunity.

Photography is about life...
embrace and live it to the fullest.

continue...

Photography is about money...
buy the best equipment and thrash the rest.

Photography is about communication...
talking photography is a much better past time.

words are cheap.

pictures can deliver a powerful message, create dreams, spark inspirations of millions, create wars, change the world simply by using pictures with no words.

rather than seeing how important a photograph can be, imagine a world without photographs. a world where the world is not borderless, imagination can only be built upon words, and a world liken to the five blind men who tried to describe an elephant.

Stefen said:
words are cheap.

pictures can deliver a powerful message, create dreams, spark inspirations of millions, create wars, change the world simply by using pictures with no words.

rather than seeing how important a photograph can be, imagine a world without photographs. a world where the world is not borderless, imagination can only be built upon words, and a world liken to the five blind men who tried to describe an elephant.

hehehe....stefen...

words are cheap, but say the wrong words can cost a lot of money... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

well, agreed with the rest though...
2 thumbs up for that...

photography can be anything or nothing to everybody or nobody, as with most things in life....

It's just a form of visual memory.

Most of us "remember" what we looked like based on photographs. There was an interesting study (think Total Recall) where people were shown fictitious photographs of themselves and eventually believed that that was what they were like when young.

hehehe....stefen...

words are cheap, but say the wrong words can cost a lot of money...

true true... i think its more of : talk is cheap when there is no recording of any kind.... :bsmilie: then no one can come back and use your own words against you.

words are still cheap what... no need post development fees, no need framing.. just a combination of 26 letters in a multi complex sequence. no need storage space also... :blah:

Stefen said:
true true... i think its more of : talk is cheap when there is no recording of any kind.... :bsmilie: then no one can come back and use your own words against you.

words are still cheap what... no need post development fees, no need framing.. just a combination of 26 letters in a multi complex sequence. no need storage space also... :blah:

hahaha... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

2 thumbs up for that..

I like art, I'm a visual person, I can paint but not fast enough, so photography is a faster way of capturing my visual image than the brushes and canvas.

Its a better way of showing others what's my perspective on certain subject.

I'm less poetic so I guess..... photography played an important role when I was getting my degree. Photography now plays an even more important role in my work for a living.

It makes me feel human, that I am entitled to my own view, my own interpretation of life, of events.

I am also led into the world of other peoples' eyes, and their stories, and the emotions that they have when they snapped the pic.

" i became a photog coz i can't draw but i want to record memories n at the same time it makes me look cool to shoot events and babes with big white lenses."

this kind of reason is real. i mean, its the reason, u know. from dunno to know, from dont have to have...it feels good. it makes u a better person.

ok, obviously the spontaneous response by you guys are bringing me somewhere. The conception of photography.. is just nearby. Hmm What I actually wanna focus is about, the professional uses of photography. Maybe some relevant facts, but that doesnt mean the facts that you guys have posted isnt relevant. I hope more response Thanks alot :)

Professional uses of photography? To make money? Journalistic purposes? As an art form?

to me,
the camera is my eye.it sees what i see.
processing,filters r mind.they create what my mind imagines.
the lens r my attention.they notice the details.
the "trigger" is my brain.it decided what to remember.
the pictures are my memory,my feelings,my history.they register forever...

Photography in essence is about C and N.

Status
Not open for further replies.