Users of Olympus chargers.... do you charge "twice"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I'm using the Olympus BU40-SE. Found that after the red light goes off (after 3.5 to 4 hours), I could switch off and on again to "top" up the charges for about 30mins more.

Do you think this method will charge the batteries more fully?

Originally posted by mpenza
I'm using the Olympus BU40-SE. Found that after the red light goes off (after 3.5 to 4 hours), I could switch off and on again to "top" up the charges for about 30mins more.

I think a single charge cycle is more than enought. My bu-200 charge 4 AA within 2 hrs and when u turn the power back on, it will continue to charge. But don't think it is advisable.

Originally posted by mpenza

I did that to my mobilephone. In the end I have to replace the battery. It completes the recharging cycles faster.

hmm... guess I've to careful then. Had thought the charger was misled into thinking the charge cycle has completed when it hasn't.

Maybe I'll use a trickle charge charger instead.

whenever u turn off and on the charger with the batt in it, u used up one cycle. This means if u turn on and off continously 10 times, u already wasted 10 times of the cycle life of the batt.
Hence, its best to comepletely use up all the energy of your batt b4 u recharge it so as to prolong its lifetime, as well as to minimise memory effect. Nimh batt is still susceptible to memory but a lot less than nicad

I am using the BU-200 (quick charge) by oly and 1700mha batteries.

What other batteries could i use with this charger?

I wanted to get another set of batteries, can I just buy other brands of batteries to use with the charger?

or it must be 1700mHA batteries?

Pls advice

it should be an intelligent charger, so you could use batteries with different capacities.

Over Charging is the killer for NiMh batteries, so I don't think its advicable. Instead get a smart charger (as mentioned above). Timer based chargers are set to fully charge the batt when it is totally empty, but in normal usage, the batt is never empty so over charging will occur. Using a smart/intelligent/microprocessor controlled charger will reduce this.

Originally posted by volk
I am using the BU-200 (quick charge) by oly and 1700mha batteries.

What other batteries could i use with this charger?

I wanted to get another set of batteries, can I just buy other brands of batteries to use with the charger?

or it must be 1700mHA batteries?

Pls advice
Yes, any re-chargeble battery like KC said except when use GP battery will be very hot but it won't explode according to John3:16. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.