Users of O2 Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Harlo, just like to ask if any O2 Mini users around?

How do you folks find the device & it's features? I'm thinking of consolidating my PDA & handphone into 1 device.

Currently have my eyes set on the O2 Mini & XDA IIs. Somehow, I can't bring myself to get XPhone II heehee.

Heard the writing recognition is pretty terribly, any comments on that?

I'm reading online reviews now and wondering if I should take the plunge. :dunno:

espn said:

How do you folks find the device & it's features? I'm thinking of consolidating my PDA & handphone into 1 device.

Currently have my eyes set on the O2 Mini & XDA IIs. Somehow, I can't bring myself to get XPhone II heehee.

I'm reading online reviews now and wondering if I should take the plunge. :dunno:

Ok , have both the O2 and mini

1) Not true. Hand writing recognition is pretty good. In fact, i write faster than i key in my handphone.

Yah saw a few patients carrying O2 mini around. Very chio.

Problem is the screen is smaller than my present pocket pc. And the main reason I need pocket pc is to read books.

I am very happy with the O2 Mini - it does everything I need it to and having an integrated phone/organiser is the only way for me to actually use it. I never used to carry my Palm around so it becamce redundant.

I don't use the handwriting recognition - use the Phone Pad feature instead. Probably not as quick as texting using regular handphone but can't have everything.

I like the fact that I can download music and play it on WMP and can get enough on a 256mb SD card. Also have a SD wifi card for when I absolutely have to surf whilst not at home.

The size is great, it looks cool, it hasn't given me any probs in six months :)

I just bought a O2mini and if you drive.. don't get it!

Not that you are suppose to make phone call while driving but sometimes.. you just can't help it.

It's almost impossible to make a call without looking at the screen with the Mini vs the Nokia 9500

Mini user here since last year...:p

U can always use the "Phone Pad" for sms. It feels weird at 1st, but after a while I actually type faster using this than a physical keypad, coz u can just tap gently on the screen wif ur thumb.

The writing recognition is pretty accurate, need to use it often to calibrate it.

I would choose Mini over XDA IIs anytime...XDA IIs too big... :eek:

I've been using the mini for a couple of months. I have no problem with handwritting recognition so far.

- The phone hangs occasionally, but I can live with that.
- I do have problems with the bluetooth connection; when i'm using a BT headset (bluespoon) and the phone hibernates, the voice link will tend to drop.
- The keypad needs some getting used too. IMO, it can't beat the more tactile conventional keypad.

Otherwise, for its form factor and size its a great pda phone.

espn said:

I don't use a Mini O2 but I do use a pocket PC that uses the same type of input.

Which mode of input are you talking about? for letter or block recogniser, you have to write in a certain way, which I think can be found in the help file. If you use transcriber, you can actually customise it, the numbers of ways to write is quite a lot but still you can not write anyhow you like, the sequence of stroke is important. If you rea taliking about the handwriting recognition in notes or words, I don't know how they work hehe.

espn said:

Check out this phone from Moto.. E680
1GB memory.. bluetooth, MP3, video recording and playback.. FM.. phone.. linux pda.. and it's 50% of mini O2 price.
http://sg.motorola.com/pcs/E680/sg/

Rosschang :kok: :nono:

KitKat/Navyblue: Yeah I've checked with my friend using O2, he uses the block regoniser which is similar to Palm's so I'm pretty ok with that as I've already etched the strokes into my brains, the other time I tried another friend's one, I found it a bit hard to write, so was just thinking, I write faster than I tap on the screen ;) Heehee.

Streetshooter: Actually PPC and most PDAs are still too small screen, I need for organising myself and some other functions only, reading the books give me headache, screen really too small.. even for my T665. Hehehe.

Phildate: I probably won't surf the net much, but the combination of the PDA + Phone does give me the simplicity and ease to take notes and record information when I'm using the blue tooth function. Heehee.

J.J: Don't worry my habit is if I'm driving, no ear pieces, no picking up of phone until I'm out of the car, hehe. No worries on that!

henvas: I'm actually ok with XDA IIs size, but just wondering if it'd be overkill to own it and the sliding pad design doesn't agree with me, I like everything flush and simple design, thus my yearn for the O2 Mini, nowadays the phone(s) I see are all flip-flap, slide, awkward shaped. I'm still holding on to my 7250i because it's normal shaped/sized!

ibs: I've heard of the hanging issues, but not too sure if it's because of the user or the applications itself, what say you ;)

Eyesthruthelens said:
Check out this phone from Moto.. E680
1GB memory.. bluetooth, MP3, video recording and playback.. FM.. phone.. linux pda.. and it's 50% of mini O2 price.
http://sg.motorola.com/pcs/E680/sg/
Frankly, other than Nokia, so far the O2 Mini/XDA IIs is the next one to have me take a liking to. Even the new Ericssons don't lure me. Hehehe.

IMO, interms of processing power and the availability of the software, PPC phone is better than the highest end of organiser phone from Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and etc.

How loud can the ring tone go? I love my free samsung hp for the VERY loud ring tone because I use the alarm function quite often. Can wake the dead. If the O2 Mini is also very loud I might look into it.

can the O2 mini be totally switched off?

( for aeroplane travel and hospital purpose )

espn said:

espn, I bought the mini for my gf and the IIs for myself. Both are good PDAs. However, I prefer the IIs personally especially if you are already a pocket pc user. You will appreciate the bigger screen. Last but not least, integrated WIFI is a must have for me :)

Paul_Yeo said:

There's a flight mode which I use :)

Paul_Yeo said:

yes, turn on flight mode then your boss won't be able to get u anymore. :bsmilie:

espn said:
Rosschang :kok: :nono:

KitKat/Navyblue: Yeah I've checked with my friend using O2, he uses the block regoniser which is similar to Palm's so I'm pretty ok with that as I've already etched the strokes into my brains, the other time I tried another friend's one, I found it a bit hard to write, so was just thinking, I write faster than I tap on the screen ;) Heehee.

Streetshooter: Actually PPC and most PDAs are still too small screen, I need for organising myself and some other functions only, reading the books give me headache, screen really too small.. even for my T665. Hehehe.

Phildate: I probably won't surf the net much, but the combination of the PDA + Phone does give me the simplicity and ease to take notes and record information when I'm using the blue tooth function. Heehee.

J.J: Don't worry my habit is if I'm driving, no ear pieces, no picking up of phone until I'm out of the car, hehe. No worries on that!

henvas: I'm actually ok with XDA IIs size, but just wondering if it'd be overkill to own it and the sliding pad design doesn't agree with me, I like everything flush and simple design, thus my yearn for the O2 Mini, nowadays the phone(s) I see are all flip-flap, slide, awkward shaped. I'm still holding on to my 7250i because it's normal shaped/sized!

ibs: I've heard of the hanging issues, but not too sure if it's because of the user or the applications itself, what say you ;)

If I meet you at NUG or anywhere :bsmilie: you can have a go at the IIs as long as you want no worries then mebbe you can make a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.