Users of Image Tank/Photo Album/Phot Wallet pls come in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
I have been a happy owner of IBM microdrive 340MB since the first day bought my Canon S10 in 2000. The digital photography is just great, fire at will. I have never been short of "film" except last trip to China. But now, things are changing. With the increasing pixel count in new cameras, I am in serious thinking of getting more storage space for even daily shooting. 340MB is unfortunately not enough, but how much more should I get for a 6MB pixel digital SLR? In RAW mode it takes 7MB/pic and large fine 2.5MB/pic. How about a 14-day trip to New Zealand or 20-day trip to Europe? I cannot figure out how many giges will be satisfactory.

I have heard about digital album stuff long time ago but never thought need it until recently. It seems that this solution would be the best for a traveler's investment. Even a 3g may be good enough for about one week travelling shooting. A 10g is probably sufficient in any cases of 2 week travelling.

With the currently available four solutions (DA/DW/IT/), I was initialy interested in the digital album. Nixvue just announced anupgrade model in PMA2002. Yes its great but the price stops me. If the video out and print out are really important to me then I dont mind spending S$1000 to get one. But what I want is not much more than a portable disk on the road, so it may not be my best pick. After some searching, I found the Image Tank is well suited to my taste, cheaper and more flexible in terms of changing HD. Here are some questions to ask before I get it.

1. Any shops can i go to get a quotation?
2. The basic model does not include a battery kit, where to buy or how to make a DIY one?
3. Is it writable from PC. If yes, does it mean that I can use it as a portable harddisk?
4. Your own opinion if you have used it before.

thx a lot
;p

Mega, can let me know if I can transfer data from PC to the IT?

Originally posted by tomshen
Mega, can let me know if I can transfer data from PC to the IT?

I think is USB speed ... 11 megabit per sec ... usually I transfer data from IT to PC ...

Would like to know the rough performance of the Image Tank.

1. How many minutes to transfer 256MB from CF card to Image Tank?

2. How many minutes to transfer 256MB from Image Tank to PC?

I know it's USB, but in practical terms, how fast / slow?

OK Never mind, found the answer in the HWZ thread.

Thanks.

I did some test and hope it is useful to those who are interested ..
Image Tank powered with custom made battery pack ...

Time taken to transfer 128M Ridata CF to Image Tank = 2 m 10 sec = 130 sec

Time taken to transfer 128M files from Image Tank to PC = 2 m 26 sec = 146 sec

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Would like to know the rough performance of the Image Tank.

1. How many minutes to transfer 256MB from CF card to Image Tank?

2. How many minutes to transfer 256MB from Image Tank to PC?

I know it's USB, but in practical terms, how fast / slow?

Thanks.
I do not have 256M CF ...

1. Ridata 128MCF -> 128M -> Image Tank = 2 min 10 sec

2. Image Tank -> 128M -> PC = 2 min 30 sec

Microdrive 340MB --> image tank = 5.5 mins, 340MB from IT --> PC = 10mins or so.

Quite okay to me. 5.5mins on the road is just nice for a drink. 10mins at home = take a bath. So far most portable storage still use USB1.1 spec. Maybe sometime late USB2.0 spec out then u wont complain anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.