Used mountain bike recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kex

Oct 16, 2002
beebox
www.beebox.com.sg
hello,

thinking of getting a used bike to ride around/exercise to lose some fats :embrass:

my budget is ard $400 for a used one,but i'm a total newbie on bike.

Can i get a used "FM2" equivalent bike for $400?

which are the more reliable brands?

i'm of a small built frame and prefer something manageable.

Any recommendations?

thanks!

Giant or GTS brand should be good value budget bikes. Get only front suspension, rear suspension adds unnecessary weight unless you're getting a really top end bike.

AVOID Aleoca, Polygon, etc. May be cheaper, but very heavy and components aren't as durable or good.

You DO know about www.togoparts.com right?

if you can still find them, a specialized rockhopper or hardrock. comes in nice small frame sizes.

trek is another brand to check out.

imo, the most important thing on a bike is the frame. choose one which suits your size, riding style and buget. the rest of the parts can easily be replaced.

hmm...

thanks for the link SS,went in there but dun have a clue on the bike descriptions they are posting on the marketplace..

wad will be a suitable frame for a small built guy like me ? isaw alot of 16.5",20" etc frame.. i believe those are the size of the frame right ?

one of my customer told me just now one of his bike cost 20k+~! only~!!!
never know bicycle can cost so much~

http://www.togoparts.com/marketplac...4&page_id=1&done=list_ads.php?cid=3&page_id=1

is this a decent bike ?

Pretty decent for $500 I would say. Shimano Deore is mid range componentry and it even comes with disc brakes. Guess you would have to ride it to see if you like it.

if you are of average built like most guys in singapore..

a 16 - 17 inch frame would be just nice.
16.5 would be good as well.

since u have a budget of $400...just go to a shop and get them to show u all the bikes in that range lor! :D

i guess the common brands like Giant, GT, Kona, Specialize should be good enough and would fit your budget. :thumbsup:
dont expect super good components at this price obviously.

just consider...the type of gear shift you like.
like grip shift...or shifter type (which is the best imo and most common i assume)

brakes....most probably i tink it will come with V-brakes nowadays.

suspension...like someone has alerady mentioned...go for a hardtail. meaning only front suspension.

well hope that is of some help....i lost touch on MTB liao anyways :bsmilie:

budget bike.... which area you stay?

if in the west can try biker hub at Jurong East. I got mine from there.

Me newbie in biking also and got a hasa comp 1.0 with helmet, lights, bottle cage and bell for less than your budget.

Unless you go Bukit Timah... I think the above will suit your needs too.

vortex said:
if you are of average built like most guys in singapore..

a 16 - 17 inch frame would be just nice.
16.5 would be good as well.

since u have a budget of $400...just go to a shop and get them to show u all the bikes in that range lor! :D

i guess the common brands like Giant, GT, Kona, Specialize should be good enough and would fit your budget. :thumbsup:
dont expect super good components at this price obviously.

just consider...the type of gear shift you like.
like grip shift...or shifter type (which is the best imo and most common i assume)

brakes....most probably i tink it will come with V-brakes nowadays.

suspension...like someone has alerady mentioned...go for a hardtail. meaning only front suspension.

well hope that is of some help....i lost touch on MTB liao anyways :bsmilie:

thanks for the advises,any bicycle shops in the east that sell used bikes ?

tot i can stretch my dollar by getting a used one.. :thumbsup:

I thought LeRun bike are good for normal people? S$400 is quite some money and in Malaysia can get a very good bike already, especially 2nd hand. Of course not those racing type...but you don't need a super light carbon body type of bike right?

I know nothing about bike... :p

StreetShooter said:
Song Seng Chan is where I get all my bikes from.

It's that shop in Joo Chiat Road which has been there since I was a little boy.

bought all my bikes from there oso. The old Auntie a bit lor soh though... :p

Uncle quite nice... if u stay around Marine Parade , they even provide free delivery..

Pardon my ignorance. But why riding mountain bike in Singapore?
Normal bicycle would do the trick, I guess?

kex said:
thanks for the advises,any bicycle shops in the east that sell used bikes ?

tot i can stretch my dollar by getting a used one.. :thumbsup:

ya that bike looks like a good deal to me...i dunno abt the mkt rate nowadays. just ask the shops lor.

i know Hup Leong last time sell alot of GT bikes and good price...maybe u can check with them?

popeye said:
Pardon my ignorance. But why riding mountain bike in Singapore?
Normal bicycle would do the trick, I guess?

what's wrong with riding a mountain bike in singapore ?

kex said:
what's wrong with riding a mountain bike in singapore ?

Nothing's wrong. But I want to know what makes it different than riding normal bike? It's not a rough terrain anyway in Singapore.

popeye said:
Nothing's wrong. But I want to know what makes it different than riding normal bike? It's not a rough terrain anyway in Singapore.

i also dunno wad makes it different from normal bike,i leave it to the seasoned bikers to answer it.

i just tot they look nicer than normal bike,more "garang"

for my purpose,i think either will do,but MTB looks more appealing to me :lovegrin:

another shop to get from is Tiong Hin near Hougang / Lorong Ah Soo area. Competitive prices. My husband gets most of his bike stuff from there (he has converted from MTB to road bike now).

Yes, tiong hin is very good. someomore nearer to you from bedok.
at lor ah soo... open from 12pm to 12am.

just tell him you wanna spend $400 and he will give you a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.