Used Lightmeter: What to Look out For

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobotto

Aug 27, 2003
www.pbase.com
Hey guys,

Intending to get a used Sekonic L508 lightmeter.

However total newbie to meters and dun even know what to look out for!
:embrass:

Any advises on what to check/test or how to calibrate it even?

Thanks in advance!
:D

- Bob

Thanks DarkForce.
So how long have you got your meter for?

Neway no other light meter users' around?
:sweat:

- Bob

bobotto said:
Thanks DarkForce.
So how long have you got your meter for?

Neway no other light meter users' around?
:sweat:

- Bob

hi bobotto, I am still looking for one. One that work as incident meters and spot meters and a good but cheap one :D

I'm using a minolta IV flashmeter with spot-attachment. As far as i know, there's really nothing much that can go wrong with the calibration, but you can always take readings against another properly calibrated meter to see whether the reading is the same. Most meters should have a calibration dial that can adjust up or down by about 0.5 f stops, but it's not recommended to play around with that unless you're really sure your readings are way off.

tingchiyen said:
I'm using a minolta IV flashmeter with spot-attachment. As far as i know, there's really nothing much that can go wrong with the calibration, but you can always take readings against another properly calibrated meter to see whether the reading is the same. Most meters should have a calibration dial that can adjust up or down by about 0.5 f stops, but it's not recommended to play around with that unless you're really sure your readings are way off.

Hi tingchiyen,

How how did you spend on it ? As my 10D does not have a sport meter, would like to get one to practice the zone sysem concept.

1. If you are not using one of the selenium photocell meters, ensure that you have new batteries installed before tesing / using it.
2. If you are purchasing used meter, ensure that they can use regularly available batteries. Earlier days, Mercury cell's were used and these batteries are banned now. using normal batteries on these meters will make them inaccurate.
3. If you are buying selenium photocell meters, they do not need batteries. But Photocells have a limited lifespan and may show in accurate readings if they are really old. This is usually fixable by calibrating the meter and knowhing how many stops you need to adjust for proper exposure.

That said, Light meters are pretty rugged and accurate devices. I got a god-knows-how-old Leningrad meter for a few bucks and that still works with precision.

For a simple check of accuracy, take your camera and a gray card and compare the readings. Alternately, you can also check whether the meter compares with the sunny 16 rule. Usually, the readings in controlled environment should be about the same.

DarkForce said:
Hi tingchiyen,

How how did you spend on it ? As my 10D does not have a sport meter, would like to get one to practice the zone sysem concept.

Mmm, got mine free, sorry... think the market rate's about $500... sekonic should work fine, i think...

Status
Not open for further replies.