Used D3S vs New D700

wrongculture

Jan 29, 2009
Seeking advice. I shoot mainly events, candids, holiday travel, some sports like amateur soccer, etc. In-built flash and video nice to have.

Would you advise a used D3S ($4000-5000) against a new D700+batt grip (~S$3500)?

Looking at your usage & requirement , D700 ... because D3s does not have a built-in flash .

But then again D3s can do everything above and much more if you dont mind the weight and use a sb400 or sb600 flash.

For built-in flash body you should be looking at D800($4400?) and D700 ....

Guess i create more questions then providing an answer . But its a nice headache Haha ;p

Seeking advice. I shoot mainly events, candids, holiday travel, some sports like amateur soccer, etc. In-built flash and video nice to have.

Would you advise a used D3S ($4000-5000) against a new D700+batt grip (~S$3500)?

What advice do you need? The two options are both capable of doing what you want to do. I doubt you can get a used D3s in good condition for lower than $4800. And a new D700 with grip is less than 3k nowadays, if you know where to look.

Last edited:
Both will work. Quite a lot of subjectivity here, since we won't know how "used" the Nikon D3s may be.

What I can tell you is the Nikon D3s has higher fps, better high ISO ability, and do not have a build-in flash.

The Nikon D700 has a built-in flash, and is heavier and more bulky than a Nikon D3s with the battery grip.

I'll go with the new D700

bear in mind that the higher end the camera , the more expensive the accessories

if you need to get extra batteries or replace batteries or charger and other stuff, they are more expensive. Repairs and parts are also more expensive when they break down

If you are not in a hurry ..... keep and eye out for the rumoured D600 then compare with both your options again.

Otherwise I thought a D700 is enough for your usage and a new D700 also grants you warranty and a peace of mind when buying as it is after NEW and covered by warranty and gives you some spare cash to buy lens and accessories.

Thank you all, for your comments. I guess the flexibility of reducing weight with an external battery grip is an impt factor. Also, used vs new. Much appreciated, all....

I'll go with the new D700

bear in mind that the higher end the camera , the more expensive the accessories

if you need to get extra batteries or replace batteries or charger and other stuff, they are more expensive. Repairs and parts are also more expensive when they break down

Not forgetting when you pay a premium, you get more premium options also.

EN-EL4a lasts easily >2000 shots per battery with mild chimping. 2 EN-EL4s (note, it's the EL4 and not EL4a) lasted me for two weeks without recharging on a trip overseas, tho' yes I did bring the charger along.

Spare chargers are a bit tad hard to get though, as now the flagship bodies comes with dual battery chargers instead of the single charger previously. However, my D2X's charger has been going strong since 2005, despite going on many long trips overseas. Not to really worry about this.

MC-20/36, ML-3 remote cables are across the hundreds and single digit bodies.

Shutter replacement is estimated the same at $500 thereabouts.

Seriously, not all the parts are that expensive as worried.

As for the lack of inbuilt flash, at ISO6400, I managed a WA of f/8 at night with sufficient shutter speed at 1/60.

The only matter is more on the weight as well as the built in grip.

wrongculture said:

Well none of these two cameras really meet your optional criteria. The D3s has video but no flash. D700 has flash but no video. Besides, the D3s is quite a large camera. Heavy too, especially when coupled with a lens.

For me I would go for the smaller D700 as I would rather have slightly worse performance thank go for a bigger heavier body that discourages me from bringing it out to shoot.

The best choice however would be to get a D800 instead, as mentioned above. It's small and has both flash and video :D

Any of these cameras can shoot what you want them to shoot, provided you have the right lens :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

If you need a camera now, why not get used D700 first, then once D600 is out you can decide whether to go for D600 or D4/D3S.
You won't lose much when selling it compared to buying a new D700. Its price will nose dive once D600 is out.

Unlike D3S, which are mostly owned (and already well used/abused) by pros, a lot of D700 in B&S are actually very lightly used with low SC & immaculate body condition (for its age). Mostly owned by rich hobbyists who had little use of them.

Then again, if you have budget for D3S or new D700, why not just get D800?

Or you can just dive in and get a D4. Just saw a brand new D4 available in JB, Johan photo. good price too.. 8k SGD flat. ;P

I'll take a D3s anyday if you're going to abuse the camera. Not that the D700 cannot take abuse (if you search back a few years ago in this forum you will find out what tortures my cameras went through lol).

If you need a camera now, why not get used D700 first, then once D600 is out you can decide whether to go for D600 or D4/D3S.
You won't lose much when selling it compared to buying a new D700. Its price will nose dive once D600 is out.

Unlike D3S, which are mostly owned (and already well used/abused) by pros, a lot of D700 in B&S are actually very lightly used with low SC & immaculate body condition (for its age). Mostly owned by rich hobbyists who had little use of them.

Then again, if you have budget for D3S or new D700, why not just get D800?

D800 and D3s/D700 are in a different league. Different animals. For one, FPS is different. Photographer might not want the pixel density.
Most importantly, UI. The TS may be familiar with the previous generation's UI.

Well, I don't see why can't for the two cams that you've mentioned;)

erhh...many many decades or even century ago...I believed there were events and sports where olden days photographers used Full-Manual-Camera to shoot and still got the shots/pics...see that...now think again for one that's gonna use a much much newer gears=the 2-cams you had mentioned...in this scenarios, to do some similar jobs/shoots...thus, I said why not leh;)

Hmmm...the only things/issue now seems to be whether or not, to buy a used one than a brand new one...as when a New model is released...you won't "lose" that much$$$$ compared to selling off a brand new cam...see that, which means I'd say get a used D700...(...if I were you..., in this scenario...);)

D800 and D3s/D700 are in a different league. Different animals. For one, FPS is different. Photographer might not want the pixel density.
Most importantly, UI. The TS may be familiar with the previous generation's UI.

Fair enough! I can't give up my D700 to D800 precisely due to those 2 factors, burst rate (too slow) & resolution (too much).
UI-wise I think one can always get used to it after a while.

henavs said:
Fair enough! I can't give up my D700 to D800 precisely due to those 2 factors, burst rate (too slow) & resolution (too much).

The D800 in 5FPS still ok for me,
But most of time just only using S Mode.
On D800 if using Raw file can be crop more an what you want, then the detail wise still better than D700 :)

Everything is just depend what you want..on FX format..

Ya, one event I already average 20-30 GB of files. If upgrade to D800, if using compressed it will be 60-90GB... If loseless and uncompressed.. *faint*...

daredevil123 said:
Ya, one event I already average 20-30 GB of files. If upgrade to D800, if using compressed it will be 60-90GB... If loseless and uncompressed.. *faint*...

Your mem cards will cost as much as your camera :bsmile:

Fudgecakes said:
Your mem cards will cost as much as your camera :bsmile:

Time to upgrade your PC/Laptop and Cam for catching the lifestyle...
Most branded you can find in orchard and just like your cam..

Just sharing mine to how was I used on my MBA on 128GB SSD only :)
The 1st you need to transfer/copy the Raw files into your PC and edit from there.
The 2nd after you done and transfer to external HD to keep all the original Raw files with Jepg.
At the end you need more external mobile HD.
Ha ha.

On the SD/CF can be buy an buy 16GB or 32GB should be good enough.
Cause of any electric device sure have their lifespan.

Last edited: