Used-Cheap DSLR suggestion please

enewmen

Aug 4, 2010
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Hi All.

I'm looking for a used & cheap DSLR I can mod for IR (and other reasons).
Does not need to be Canon, Nikon, etc.
Will a Canon EF lens fit on a non-Canon camera? I'm guessing it will fit if I don't need IS, AF, etc.
Then I can attach the IR filter and other things.

I already have a good camera and don't want to mod that for a long time.

better ideas?

Ok thanks!

Hmm that would depend on how cheap is "cheap" to you. Maybe a Canon 350D? or Nikon D40? if you have Canon lenses best to convert another Canon so that you can use the lenses

Yes,
I was thinking of the same "class" as the 350D.
But if it will be difficult do adapt my Canon lenses to another brand, then I should stick with Canon.

thanks for the post!

Yes,
I was thinking of the same "class" as the 350D.
But if it will be difficult do adapt my Canon lenses to another brand, then I should stick with Canon.

thanks for the post!

It's not really difficult per se but you would have to purchase an adapter that supports AF, which is an extra cost. Doesn't make sense if you are trying to keep the cost low.

I don't need or care for AF or IS.
This is why I was open for other brand - Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, etc.
Will these brands DEPRECIATE more/faster than Canon? Or not much difference ?

Last edited:
I don't need or care for AF or IS.
This is why I was open for other brand - Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, etc.
Will these brands DEPRECIATE more/faster than Canon? Or not much difference ?

If you are worried about depreciation, you should NOT be thinking of IR modding. Or photography in general.

But to your question: The Sony sensor based cameras seem quite popular for IR modding. This includes all Sony DSLR cameras (The A100 is excellent for IR) as well as the Nikon D40, D70, etc.

If you are worried about depreciation, you should NOT be thinking of IR modding. Or photography in general.

But to your question: The Sony sensor based cameras seem quite popular for IR modding. This includes all Sony DSLR cameras (The A100 is excellent for IR) as well as the Nikon D40, D70, etc.

Hi.

When I was talking about depreciation, I was looking for a camera that's already deprecitated - costs less used. I will never plan to sell a modified camera. Sorry if I never explained this part clearly.
But I will look at the Sony A100 and Nikons. Thanks for the suggesion!

Last edited:
Hi.

When I was talking about depreciation, I was looking for a camera that's already deprecitated - costs less used. I will never plan to sell a modified camera. Sorry if I never explained this part clearly.
But I will look at the Sony A100 and Nikons. Thanks for the suggesion!

The rate is about the same for all brands really.

Will a Canon EF lens fit on a non-Canon camera? I'm guessing it will fit if I don't need IS, AF, etc.
Canon lens mount has the biggest diameter and the shortest flange (distance to sensor / film). That's the reason why many other lenses with longer flange and / or smaller diameter can be mounted on Canon cameras using adapters. But the other way around is impossible. Canon lenses would need a closer distance to sensor (compared to original lenses) which makes them collide with the mirror of other camera bodies.
Beside this, you are not able to adjust the aperture of Canon EF lenses manually. The only way is to mount it on Canon body, press the DOF preview button and unmount the lens while holding the button still. Works well, no damages to the lens. But on the other body the viewfinder will be quite dark.

Thank you all for the very helpful posts!
I believe the problem is SOLVED :D

i am selling my IR converted 350D