Use view finder or LCD monitor

Samtan

May 1, 2011
starting to learn how to use Canon 60D.
which is the fastest method to get in focus to shoot moving animals/birds - view finder or LCD monitor ?
in view finder , there is 9 AF points but I only want 1 point , how to achieve this ?
I just took this picture using view finder and the bird is blur but the branches are clear :(
ISO 3200, Av 5.6 & Tv 1/400 (late evening 6.45pm).
Really appreciate all your advise !
2a8g3fc.jpg

Last edited:

Have you read your manual?

which is the fastest method to get in focus to shoot moving animals/birds - view finder or LCD monitor ?

You mean, LiveView or no liveview. I can guarantee you the Canon AF in liveview is very very slow. Use the viewfinder.

in view finder , there is 9 AF points but I only want 1 point , how to achieve this ?

Read your manual. It's included for a reason. Also read up on metering.

I just took this picture using view finder and the bird is blur but the branches are clear :(

Bad timing to get him. You would need a strong flash, or shoot at earlier hours.

please learn how to use viewfinder.

only in certain circumstances i will use my live view.

if u prefer to use live view, u may as well go back to pns cameras.

View finder.

Read the manual. Here's a hint: You need to change your AF focus point to manual.

2a8g3fc.jpg

Your af points are wrong maybe?

should be AF on the wrong area. what AF mode was used? if it's Spot AF, that means TS hit the wrong subject. looks like the AF hit the leaves and branches just behind the bird

try using a tripod or monopod or even brace yourself next to solid object before taking the shot. Usually the selected AF point(s) will light up for most camera models.