Use PRIME lens exclusively?? anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerax

Apr 19, 2008
hi , just curious, is there anyone here who use prime lens ONLY (no zoom at all).

if there is, does that bother you. care to share some experiences?? : )

did you miss shots? how many prime lens you have? what are they?

Hi, used to have only a 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm. why would it bother me? =)
It's fun and makes you think of how you want to take the pic, and also train you to walk up and down. haha.
Nope never missed a shot.

I think also in consideration is the number of bodies someone has.

Also, depends on your equipment arrangement (ie. vest or no vest, accessible bag or not), it might be really easy to change lenses.

Indeed someone with a 24 mm, 50 mm and 85 mm can effectively cover a simple D & D event IF he has 2 bodies. Using logic, we can easily pick out the best 2 lenses for the situation :).

Also, with the given low-light advantage, some f/2.8 shots which might have be blur/ruined might be save if one instinctly widened the aperture due to the fact he knows he can.

Pro and cons lah.

Sure there's some of us here who do that. I recall another thread if you feel like looking for it. Yes, I've missed a few shots here and there, but not any more than using the wrong zoom would cause. Plus I feel the higher quality of primes over zooms (at least those zooms that don't cost 4 figures) made up for a lot for that.

I solely use 35mm, 50mm, 135mm + fisheye so far so good. Only worry would be if there's ample space to pace back for the shot :bsmilie:

I solely use 35mm, 50mm, 135mm + fisheye so far so good. Only worry would be if there's ample space to pace back for the shot :bsmilie:

just curious, do you use digital format ? or film format (35mm) ??

and do you use nikon or canon?

Currently using primes for my 5d2, because got no zooms (yet) Some more all manual focusing :bsmilie:

Ryan

On the contrary, I only use Zoom lens. However, I want to get prime lens to use.

Zooms are only used if i cant get the equivalent focal length

this includes 12mm, 16mm(cant get the 14mm 2.8 L) basically UWA.

but most of the time, on 35,85(for crop body)
and 35,50,135(on FF)

Doesnt bother me that I have no zoom, for the depth of field, IQ and the fast speed, its more than a reasonable trade off for me;)

Zooms are only used if i cant get the equivalent focal length

this includes 12mm, 16mm(cant get the 14mm 2.8 L) basically UWA.

but most of the time, on 35,85(for crop body)
and 35,50,135(on FF)

Doesnt bother me that I have no zoom, for the depth of field, IQ and the fast speed, its more than a reasonable trade off for me;)

i am also thinking of using prime lens (no zoom) because i heard it can makes you a better photographer.

its just that i dont know which one to get. but since you told me what you use maybe i can try those focal lengths. thanks man

i use primes only for potraits, studio or controlled shoots where i have the luxury of time (35mm and 50mm on cropped body). Otherwise the 18-200 is on most of the time.

I use primes most of the time, as they give me a better sharpness, higher speed to freeze motion & they are Usually lighter than zooms unless you have those with the red band.

Primes only, except when I need my 10-20 for landscapes :)

yes with my prime lens rocket :bsmilie:

DSC_1778.jpg

i use 50mm n 85mm for potraits and 20mm for landscape and misc shots

i am also thinking of using prime lens (no zoom) because i heard it can makes you a better photographer.

I don't think it really matters what you use, so much as how familiar you are with the limitations of what you're using, and how different settings will affect the image. Plus what is required in the composition to make a picture look good at different focal lengths.

I have always used both... But recently, I decided to invest in a couple of 4-figure zooms and do away with all my primes. If you get a very good zoom, the results are similar... and you don't have to keep a set of different diameter filters.

Of course, if you deal will zooms, you will have to deal with more zoom problems like vignetting, light fall-off, barrel distortion, etc... but the added zoom range increases the scope of creativity in most situations. :D

i'm one of those prime users :)

In fact, 50mm stays on my camera all the time... until 100mm macro came along.

Status
Not open for further replies.