Use of Tablet for PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_keow

Oct 8, 2004
Mt Alvernia Hospital
www.pbase.com
Thinking of getting a tablet for photoshop editing.

What are your views?

Wacom seems to be the choice? Is this true? Which model is the most suitable for PS CS2?

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is a common question...including mine ;p

No regrets in my recent purchase...... go for the medium one tho if you can afford

there is a NEW series too .... most shops would be selling WACOM Graphire 4 progressively ..which also means they should be clearing the Graphire 3 series..go and get those ... able to get below $200 :) The NEW series is at Usual Price ....for e.g. a medium size would cost $289 ...that was some weeks back..the old similar size Graphire 3 was below $200

Er....unless you are a PRO...their INTUOS series is :bigeyes: ....but look damn cool !!!!

AhV said:
There is a common question...including mine ;p

No regrets in my recent purchase...... go for the medium one tho if you can afford

there is a NEW series too .... most shops would be selling WACOM Graphire 4 progressively ..which also means they should be clearing the Graphire 3 series..go and get those ... able to get below $200 :) The NEW series is at Usual Price ....for e.g. a medium size would cost $289 ...that was some weeks back..the old similar size Graphire 3 was below $200

Er....unless you are a PRO...their INTUOS series is :bigeyes: ....but look damn cool !!!!

Hey, thanks AhV.

Visited some of the shops in SL. They keep recommending the Intuos3 as they say the resolution is better. Do u really need such high resolution for PS work?

Like u say, the Intuos is really cool but not so for the pocket. :confused:

I am deciding as well.
price check by the www.wacom.com.sg site
wont say which store lah (partly cos i forgot)
4x5 graphire 3 $125 graphire 4 $ 16X
got other brands... saw at jurong point..
looks interesting..
www.manhattan-support.com or sth..
all below $150 and one model even is 5x8 i think
less than $100 oso have. mostly taiwanese or taiwanese loooking like jap.

only thing is need AAA battery for pen...

my opinion is that you dun need intuos or bigger unless you are a digital painter

if you need so much photo editing to make pretty pics haha maybe u need to improve picture taking skills.. LOL unless u doing alot of compositing lah.. small one easier to keep mah

eng_keow said:
Hey, thanks AhV.

Visited some of the shops in SL. They keep recommending the Intuos3 as they say the resolution is better. Do u really need such high resolution for PS work?

Like u say, the Intuos is really cool but not so for the pocket. :confused:

of cos la...they want your $$$$$ !!!!

Go for the older G3 if u can still find them...cheaper than the G4 as considered old model liao ....not worth paying the extra $89 for a similar size....Better get one soon before all models are G4..then you LL must buy the new model liao :sweat: No need the high res....unless you PRO..and I know my shifu just use a basic WACOM tablet ..the SMALL one !!!

Oh ...and WACOM pens no need batteries !!!!!!

eng_keow said:
Thanks slaam and AhV,

Will go look for Graphire 3 liao!

:)

not many places hold WACOM tablets..mostly taiwanese brands ...visit the main website and look for the Singapore Retailers ....GOOD LUCK !!! I found mine very shortly.... I cant remember the shop name now but tip is ...try FUNAN instead of SLQ ... I have gone thru' the hectic exercise of comparing prices .... FC cheaper than SLQ for WACOM tablets :lovegrin:

AhV said:
not many places hold WACOM tablets..mostly taiwanese brands ...visit the main website and look for the Singapore Retailers ....GOOD LUCK !!! I found mine very shortly.... I cant remember the shop name now but tip is ...try FUNAN instead of SLQ ... I have gone thru' the hectic exercise of comparing prices .... FC cheaper than SLQ for WACOM tablets :lovegrin:

Izzit really. Thanks for the tip. I always thought Funan stuff usually more ex than in SLQ.

Software Boutique in Funan has the same owner as the TecDrome in SLS. They carry the Wacom, both Graphire and Intuos. IIRC, they are the main distributor in SG.

Watcher said:
Software Boutique in Funan has the same owner as the TecDrome in SLS. They carry the Wacom, both Graphire and Intuos. IIRC, they are the main distributor in SG.

Thanks Watcher. Will visit it this wkend.

no need to think about it or looking for views or feedback , i say get the damn wacom tablet its good stuff! every DI studio and photography studio uses it.
get the intuos3 if u can, 6x8 inches at the very least, too small and your pen action is too magnifed so its pointesless, getting the biggest one is well a question about the depth of your pockets and if you dont mind moving your arms around all the time doing DI

actually, I use the tiny, 4" by 5" one...not only because it is the cheapest, but because for my preference of use, in the mouse mode, I don't need a larger size...I had the benefit of finding this out at work, where I use the 9" by 12" one and didn't really see the need for a large size for my own preference...I do miss the second touch strip at the top right though...if they had a pocket sized one, I would buy it...to each his own...

but if you don't really need the high sensitivity of Intuos (and I know some pros who believe they don't) and can't justify the price, graphire is a more than capable system, better than most other tablets on the market...

Just got my 6 x 4 Graphire 3. Cheap and good! :thumbsup: I was comparing between version 3 and 4 and found out differences not much but the price diff is definitely not small ;)

But this pen tablet sure needs some getting used to initially. Did anyone have any inconvenience using this? Sometimes when i move the mouse pointer using the pen and accidentally touching the pad caused a click unintentionally.... can be irritating at times.... do you all move the pen without touching the pad or just rest the pen on the pad while moving??

that's the diff between mouse and tablet...you just have to get used to moving it above tablet and not resting on it... ;)

been using the wacom since their pen partner days. very long time ago, seven years ago. it's so long lasting that it is now on my old pc used by my kids.

dunno how i manage to learn and work with photoshop with a mouse :bsmilie: before i got the tablet.

when i got my wacom, i retired the mouse by hanging it on a hook glued to the pc casing.

i have used the 6x9 tablet but found the 4x5 more than adequate for photoshop. i find that i have better control with a smaller footprint.

now dunno how to use a mouse leow :bsmilie:

How's the movement like for the 4x5? Someone mentioned if the tablet is too small, the actions are too magnified? I like to draw in Photoshop. I've seen people draw like a pencil using the WACOM tablets but dunno the size they were using. Is this enough information to help me decide what size I want?

There's a 4x6? How much would a 4x6 cost?

I used to have a 6x8... but I find too much hand movement to cover the screen... a 4x5 is just nice without having to move my wrist too much... I even use it on dual screen..

willyfoo said:
I used to have a 6x8... but I find too much hand movement to cover the screen... a 4x5 is just nice without having to move my wrist too much... I even use it on dual screen..
ditto. i used to have a 8x6. sold it again in less than 24hrs.
4x5 is perfect. unless u want to train muscles.. O_O

Hmm... so a 4x5 is good enough for "just-for-fun" users like me? You're saying with a 4x5, you can cover the whole screen with JUST your wrist movement is it?

it really depends on which mode and how you would use the tablet...

there are two modes to using the tablet: the screen mapped pen mode, and the mouse mode

in the pen mode, the tablet is mapped to the visible screen, i.e. if you put the stylus to the top right of your tablet, the mouse pointer on your screen would move to the corresponding point, top right, on your screen...in this case, for a small tablet like the 4x5, a swipe of your wrist can move the mouse pointer across the whole screen...thus to use the 4x5 tablet in this mode would call for alot of control, and you would still not have as much precision as if you had a large tablet of the same series running in similar mode. that's what some have mentioned as being too magnified...

in the mouse mode, the tablet is not mapped to the screen and the stylus acts like it would if it were a very skinny mouse ( ;p )... i.e. to move the mouse pointer to the left of the screen, you would have to push it towards the left, in a few strokes, like you would if you were doing same with a mouse...try moving the pointer from the left of the screen to the right with your mouse :D ...thus for this mode, the actual size of the tablet is not so important in the case of on-screen precision...

now, I am not advocating one mode over the other, it's a matter of personal preference, but as you can see, how you use it would affect the size of the tablet for you...and of course, a small Intuos 3 would still have the same precision as a Graphire or Intuos 2 that's 4 times it's size even in pen mode...if you have the control to make such fine movements that is... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.