use of EXIF/metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamku

May 2, 2006
Boon Lay
Hello,

I am a graduate student at NUS doing research on the effective use of metadata for digital imaging.

1. Please share how you would make use of EXIF or metadata and for what purpose.
2. Also, how do you annotate your photos.

Thanks in advance for all kind replies.

williamku said:
I am enquiring on how one would make use of the EXIF metadata for whatever purpose
(and not what is EXIF).

how about sharing wif us, what YOU use the exif for. ;)

CYRN said:
how about sharing wif us, what YOU use the exif for. ;)

I basically pump EXIF values into a classifer learning system to classify a photo into a particular category but this is for research purposes and not really for digital imaging purposes. I would like to make a disclaimer that I am only a novice photographer and still have lots to learn from you guys.

I would like to know how you guys, being the amateur/professional photographers, would make use of EXIF for digital imaging purposes.

williamku said:
I basically pump EXIF values into a classifer learning system to classify a photo into a particular category but this is for research purposes and not really for digital imaging purposes. I would like to make a disclaimer that I am only a novice photographer and still have lots to learn from you guys.

I would like to know how you guys, being the amateur/professional photographers, would make use of EXIF for digital imaging purposes.

basically... to know what was the cam setting when your got or missed the shot.

Some people uses the GPS... so I assume that the GPS value would be useful for required application. :dunno:

CYRN said:
basically... to know what was the cam setting when your got or missed the shot.

Some people uses the GPS... so I assume that the GPS value would be useful for required application. :dunno:

I presume one would only look at a few selected parameters for such purposes (because there are so many EXIF parameters).
1. Shutter speed
2. Aperture (F number)
3. ISO
4. White Balance
5. EV compensation?
6. Flash (power)?

What would be those parameters that you look out for?

GPS should be used to identify location. However, isn't the granularity too big to be precise.

Is there any software (preferably freeware) that can use EXIF data to rename the file into YYYYMMDD format?

williamku said:
GPS should be used to identify location. However, isn't the granularity too big to be precise.
GPS accuracy depends on how many signals can you get. Within 3-10 meters is the norm. That is more than enough for most situation.

im not a professional. but i look at the exif data of the images i take in a day to see under which circumstances is the image not blurred, and what settings did i use, and perhaps maybe improve the next time.

The main exif data i check are:
aperture, exposure, mode[program, aperture etc], ev compensation, iso & shutter speed

I also use ExposurePlot, a software that creates a chart which shows the settings that you'ved used for the folder of images, like focal length etc. I use this occasionally though.

Answering crusher's answer : The only exif editor available is opanda's PowerExif Editor, but it aint free...

Status
Not open for further replies.