use of a lens hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
Ignorant question but what is the function of a lens hood. how does it affect the pciture taken? Thanks.

whats lens flare?

the lens hood is used to block light from hitting the front element of your lens
if the light hits the front element of your lens
you will get lens flare

Just don't try to take macro pictures (namely with insects) with lense hood on. I did it with my 50mm macro, and in the end, my pictures came out all black as the hood covered my subject, and "sheltered" it from any avaliable light source, including my flash :S

Raptor1 said:
Just don't try to take macro pictures (namely with insects) with lense hood on. I did it with my 50mm macro, and in the end, my pictures came out all black as the hood covered my subject, and "sheltered" it from any avaliable light source, including my flash :S
Then you should have been able to see that the subject is void of any available light when you look through the VF right...

+evenstar said:
Then you should have been able to see that the subject is void of any available light when you look through the VF right...
Not really, as the subject could still be seen through the viewfinder.

Raptor1 said:
Not really, as the subject could still be seen through the viewfinder.
Now that's a bit weird. you stated that "my pictures came out all black as the hood covered my subject, and "sheltered" it from any avaliable light source, including my flash". This meant that the subject is in total darkness, and you shouldn't be seeing anything thru the VF

Canew said:
Not a SLR?
Hmm..if he can "I did it with my 50mm macro, and in the end, my pictures came out all black as the hood covered my subject, and "sheltered" it from any avaliable light source, including my flash", it should be a (D)SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.