Use high ISO or adjust in post.

blurry80

Jul 23, 2007
Toa Payoh
www.flickr.com
Not really sure if there was any questions posted like this before.
Assuming if we're shooting candids of people in low light situation.

1. Would you use high ISO for x shutter speed?

or

2. Use lower ISO at x shutter speed (Producing underexpose image) to be adjusted in post.

Which would be a better option? Assuming the shots are on manual mode and underexposure is a consistent in option 2.

or

2. Use lower ISO at x shutter speed (Producing underexpose image) to be adjusted in post.

Which would be a better option? Assuming the shots are on manual mode and underexposure is a consistent in option 2.

For Option 2, trying to recover details from underexposed images in PP will introduce a lot of noise esp in dark/shadow areas.

Use Option 1, cameras now have nice clean high ISO.

i came across this question of yours in the past. i did a test. realise that using high iso is better than adjusting it in pp later on. pp gives more noise.

or

1) would mostly likely beat (2) anytime...(2) is like a desperature measures...when you pp the underexp parts, noise would even be worse...

Something that is not (properly) captured in underexposed images cannot be recovered. Where shall the information come from? Noise is well recognized by many programs and current noise removal algorithms are really good.

Guess the answer is 3. shoot in high iso @ x shutter speed and reduce noise in post.
Thanks everyone.

For me , getting a grap of a perfect moment lets some noisy to be negligible. Candid in low light condition , speed comes first. :):)

AFAIK, the noise level of High ISO is more acceptable then correcting underexposed images during the post.

i second this.

high iso may mean a lot of noise. but the very least, there would be data of the image recorded. worst come to worst can just convert to black and white and it still looks good.

on the other hand, underexposing may result in loss of details in shadow areas. may be slightly more crippling.

thats just my own personal experience so far

Underexposure = Loss of details in the shadows
High ISO = Details with lots of random specks all over
You can't bring back lost details in an underexposed shot but you could aways use Noise Ninja, Nik Define 2, Noiseware Professional and equivalent plugins to remove noise on a image shot with high ISO. :)

I will choose option 1, don't want my object look blurred because of low shutter speed,unless it's intentionally.