Use Calibrated Monitor Profile or sRGB for web/basic printing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myloplex

May 27, 2003
Visit site
Hope someone can help: Pictures are indented for the web and for your simple neighbor printing labs
Note:
- Monitor Calibration done using Hardware device.
- Pictures shot are in Jpeg - adobeRGB.
For Working in PS
1) Do I set my working space to my Calibrated Monitor Profile OR sRGB OR adobeRGB Before editing the pictures? Exporting will be in sRGB as for web.

For Working in LR
2) Lightroom will handle the working space internally. I simply edit and export in sRGB.

Advice pls!

Is your monitor able to display Adobe RGB? If not, why do you use this colour space for shooting? Always use the same colour space for all devices involved.
The monitor profile is to adjust the output of the video card in order to compensate for the characteristics of the display. This is to ensure that you will see the colours as they are in your computer (WYSIWYG) even if you don't edit any pictures. Only then you can properly judge the colours of your picture and edit accordingly.

Is your monitor able to display Adobe RGB? If not, why do you use this colour space for shooting? Always use the same colour space for all devices involved.
The monitor profile is to adjust the output of the video card in order to compensate for the characteristics of the display. This is to ensure that you will see the colours as they are in your computer (WYSIWYG) even if you don't edit any pictures. Only then you can properly judge the colours of your picture and edit accordingly.

But what If I shot in adobeRGB and wanted to post on the web?
In PS:
Convert to sRGB then edit and export as sRGB??
Or
Edit in adobeRGB and export as sRGB?

Last edited:
You will have the image in Adobe RGB colour space but your display cannot show it. LR2 and PS will use the AdobeRGB profile and map it into sRGB for display - because your display is on sRGB. You might edit your pictures in Adobe RGB - but you don't see it. Exporting to sRGB is compulsory.
Have a look here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm
You can see for yourself how it works: Go to http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml, scroll down and download the pictures which were taken in ProPhoto RGB. Open the pictures in LR2 or PS and compare to any other image viewer, e.g. MS Image Viewer. You'll see how dull and washed out the colours look without proper mapping to sRGB. So - back to 'square 1' - what sense does it make to shoot in Adobe RGB if you can't use it?

If you're looking for reliable information, Ken Rockwell's site is not the place to go. He has a whole page of warnings about his site, headed Reader Beware!:
I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking.

For Working in PS
1) Do I set my working space to my Calibrated Monitor Profile OR sRGB OR adobeRGB Before editing the pictures? Exporting will be in sRGB as for web.

Don't set the monitor profile as your working space inside Photoshop. Since all your shots are destined for the web, my advice is to shoot in sRGB and use that as your working space. For whatever it might be worth, here are my color settings:

settingspz0.jpg

In fact these settings have never failed to produce excellent results for images that I send off to print labs.

If you're looking for reliable information, Ken Rockwell's site is not the place to go. He has a whole page of warnings about his site, headed Reader Beware!:
I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking.

You can search for other websites about this topic and you'll find similar information and recommendations. I am aware that the Ken Rockwell site has a lot of let's call it personal touch. He's not 'dpreview' where articles have to be precise up the legal level in order to avoid issues when comparing cameras. People who understand the concept of irony will notice it in his website. For those who take everything literally he has made his disclaimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.