USB connection for SCV cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Does SCV maxonline allow usb connection from the modem to computer like Singnet BB so that we do not hav to install the ethernet card?

yep.. just request for this model..

motorolla surf 3600 or 3800 modem (USB interface)

but heard a lot of bad comments abt it. as it's not as stable as the 3100 model (nic ver.)

yes it does (mine is a RCA modem). however, the USB cable provided is only 5 metres long. you might have to scout around for a longer cable.

I'm using the USB SCV modem and it work. I feel that the ethernet one is unstable cos previously i'm using the ethernet one and it suck. i'm happy to use this USB version but the problem is the cable is too short.

Originally posted by jo3pit
yep.. just request for this model..

motorolla surf 3600 or 3800 modem (USB interface)

but heard a lot of bad comments abt it. as it's not as stable as the 3100 model (nic ver.)

U mean that there are different brands of cable modem supplied by scv?

Y im asking abt the USB connection is that I do not wish to open the computer each time to install the ethernet card when I want to switch betweeen comps. ;p

Originally posted by Falcon
Y im asking abt the USB connection is that I do not wish to open the computer each time to install the ethernet card when I want to switch betweeen comps. ;p

how many PCs u got? this way meaning only 1 PC can use internet at one time. might as well buy a router ($100++) and some cheap network card. all the PCs can use internet anytime...

Originally posted by stl

how many PCs u got? this way meaning only 1 PC can use internet at one time. might as well buy a router ($100++) and some cheap network card. all the PCs can use internet anytime...

No. I am not going to use all at the same time. Just want a easiere way to switch.

falcon, not sure abt the exact model (3600 or 3800)

encino, well gd for u... as far as i know all usb device are cpu dependent... (correct me if i'm wrong) and most of our VPN clients were also having some abnormalities with thier usb interface.

Why don't u just get a USB to Ethernet converter? One end is USB to your PC and the other end is ethernet to your modem.

No. I am not going to use all at the same time. Just want a easiere way to switch.

Can't you just get another cheap ethernet card (ard S$20-S$30) and install it on your other PC?

-ptl-

i'm using an intel 82559 based NIC, 2nd hand, pulled out from some corporate computers - for only 25 bucks. in fact, now it's selling probably 10 bucks along 4th level of sim lim square. check out the 2nd hand stores for stocks.

this card supports all the bells and whistles for nics. up to 100MBit/s. :) PLUS network management if you're "siao" enough :D

Originally posted by ptlee

Can't you just get another cheap ethernet card (ard S$20-S$30) and install it on your other PC?

-ptl-

So using usb connection not a good way? I hate to open up my computer. :embrass:

not say not gd lah... but personally i would prefer to stick to ethernet for all such networking stuff. u can use the USB for other purposes...

So using usb connection not a good way? I hate to open up my computer. :embrass:

i admit it's convenient. but it's not as much as knowing there's a specific NIC controller chip relieving the CPU from extra work :)

i prefer using NIC as i share internet connections with 3 PCs and routed for a network connection. With USB i doubt its possible.

The connection cable from the cable modem(SCV MaxOnline) uses CAT5 ethernet cable, while for some ADSL modems use usb cables.

In order to connect your computer to the cable modem, you can use an ethernet card, a broadband usb adapter (like Trevon_Tan mentioned) or PCMCIA card for laptops. As such, I think that it doesn't really matter which cable modem you use. You can try to request for a usb adapter instead of an ethernet card when you subscribe to SCV MaxOnline.

If the ethernet cable from the modem to the computer is too short, you can purchase a longer piece from shops at SLS.

USB connection? Eeks, dun let it come near me.

Seriously, the USB cable can't be too long. I think 5m is the/near the max as specified in the specs.

Originally posted by Zoomer
USB connection? Eeks, dun let it come near me.

Seriously, the USB cable can't be too long. I think 5m is the/near the max as specified in the specs.

using 10m. getting 100Kb/s download speeds from US sites. maybe 10m cannot work well at 'full speed', but cable modem is way under full speed.

Originally posted by erwinx

using 10m. getting 100Kb/s download speeds from US sites. maybe 10m cannot work well at 'full speed', but cable modem is way under full speed.

Did u buy the 10m cable or get it from scv?

Status
Not open for further replies.