USB Cable for E-500: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

major_tom

Dec 3, 2005
Bad news.
The USB cable for the Oly e500 is proprietary.
I searched the whole of SLS this afternoon and was told they dont/unable to make such cables. even those specialty cable-shops couldnt help. Went to Alan Photo, was told that no OEM available; gotta get original.

Called Oly Singapore and was quoted S$61!!! :eek: :bigeyes:

Damn, damn, damn.........

Any one in this forum know where to get this cable (preferably oem)?
I need the cable for direct-printing and for fw upgrade.

Huh? Really? I'm using a E-300 and using a generic USB cable all this while for all my USB devices (E-300, card reader, external hard disk, smartphone etc). All work with no problems at all.

What happened to your cable? I have lots of USB > Mini-B cables lying around, I can give it to you if you don't mind waiting until the end of the week.

Well, i just checked my E-500 cable. Yupz, its abit different from other usb cables i had seen.

Hitman said:
Huh? Really? I'm using a E-300 and using a generic USB cable all this while for all my USB devices (E-300, card reader, external hard disk, smartphone etc). All work with no problems at all.

What happened to your cable? I have lots of USB > Mini-B cables lying around, I can give it to you if you don't mind waiting until the end of the week.

Thanks, Hitman but the e500 cannot take the 4-pin mini-usb which are easily available.
The 4-pin mini-usb can be found in SLS but no use.....
Was told by SLS cable shops that the e500 uses the 6-pin mini USB. I brought my cam there for 'fitting'.
I misplaced it btw.....I have spare mini-usb cables at home but cannot fit the e500 :(

sorry to ride on this thead.. on the subject of cables,

I have an oly c5060.. the usb cable is damaged (chair rolled over the head and its flattened) .. am i able to get other cables, or must it be from oly? Anybody want to sell? ;p

Are the cables for all oly cams the same or.. u guys are mentioning the e500 is slightly different? :dunno:

Pinkishy said:
sorry to ride on this thead.. on the subject of cables,

I have an oly c5060.. the usb cable is damaged (chair rolled over the head and its flattened) .. am i able to get other cables, or must it be from oly? Anybody want to sell? ;p

I think some Oly cams uses the standard 4-pin mini-usb......you have to try
The guys at the SLS cam shops were pretty helpful but they couldnt find a suitable cable for the e500 as well. They were quite surprised that it's proprietary.

Raptor1 said:
Well, i just checked my E-500 cable. Yupz, its abit different from other usb cables i had seen.

better keep it in a safe place.....$61 bucks to replace!!

yo major, u need remote from computer? if not, juz get a card reader to txf ur files. no need to lose sleep over a lost cable. but i m surprise the E500 USB is not universal. $61 is really way off the board.:rolleyes:

major_tom said:
Thanks, Hitman but the e500 cannot take the 4-pin mini-usb which are easily available.
The 4-pin mini-usb can be found in SLS but no use.....
Was told by SLS cable shops that the e500 uses the 6-pin mini USB. I brought my cam there for 'fitting'.
I misplaced it btw.....I have spare mini-usb cables at home but cannot fit the e500 :(
Oh well, can't help you then.... :embrass:

nightpiper said:
yo major, u need remote from computer? if not, juz get a card reader to txf ur files. no need to lose sleep over a lost cable. but i m surprise the E500 USB is not universal. $61 is really way off the board.:rolleyes:

I used card reader to xfer my files. What abt fw upgrade for the cam? Need to connect direct to pc rite?
Also, I need the cable to connect to my portable printer for pictbridge printing....I usually print for the kids..:)

Hitman said:
Oh well, can't help you then.... :embrass:

It's ok thanks for the offer...much appreciated!:thumbsup:

checked dpreview oly forum and it seems that cable is only available from Oly.....:( :confused: :thumbsd: ;(

Did some research for you. The USB cable part no. is CB-USB6 which is also used on other 'newer' Olympus cameras for eg. SP-350, SP-500, C-5500 etc. Price on the internet is around US$23.

It looks like Olympus cameras released in 2005 onwards are using this cable.

See if you have friends or relatives with these Olympus cameras, maybe they can loan you for your firmware upgrade.

yup... uses a diff cable...
the new cable does seem to do away with the standerd video out cable...
can anyone clarify?
connectors01.jpg

connectors02.jpg

if i remembered correctly, the mju 500 digital also uses this kind of usb cable..

E-300 has both USB and Video out on separates socket. For E-500, Oly has combined them to make it smaller.

major_tom said:
I think some Oly cams uses the standard 4-pin mini-usb......you have to try
The guys at the SLS cam shops were pretty helpful but they couldnt find a suitable cable for the e500 as well. They were quite surprised that it's proprietary.

I used to have a 5060 and the cable is a 4 pin type which you can find in SLS. In fact, one of my bluetooth charger and my XDrive Pro is also using the same cable.

As or E500, sad to say, its not the same. So now I use a card reader to do transfer of files. Its faster anyway since the USB port on the e500 is USB1.1 and not 2.0.

major_tom said:
I used card reader to xfer my files. What abt fw upgrade for the cam? Need to connect direct to pc rite?
Also, I need the cable to connect to my portable printer for pictbridge printing....I usually print for the kids..:)

If need to do firmware upgrade, then no choice. Have to use the cable. But firmware upgrade not often so if need cable just borrow from someone. I think can borrow from Sam from John 3:16. He's friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.