USB C as headphone out for microphone audio monitoring

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to buy a camera with a Microphone in and headphone out 3.5mm ports.

The more higher-end models hv both

but the lower/mid-end mode sometimes hv the headphone out as USB C

Is audio monitoring via USB C (via an adapter) to a headphone accurate?

Thks!

Rare for a cameramaker to allow monitoring via USB-C. Is it the Fujifilm XT-30?
For better accuracy in setting recording levels, an on-screen audio level indicator should be used in tandem with headphones.

Yes. Fuji Xt30 and the upcoming xt200

Yes I will use on screen indication together with the headphones, I just want to double sure the audio is correct.

Xt200 is what I was eyeing due to the price point. It uses USB C Audio out.

So question is just: is USB C Audio out is same and accurate as a normal 3.5mm jack?

Thks

in terms of quality, it is usually decent & accurate enough, but due to the USB-C output, depending on the type of Digital to Analog conversion (DAC) involved, there is usually some latency. ie. there'll be some form of delay in audio between what you see on screen, vs listening from the USB-C output. The lag or latency wont be significant, perhaps 2-5frames off, but then again, if there's also latency on the lcd screen or HDMI output, then it might just be compensated accordingly.

This is just my guess based on the technology involved.
I have no hands-on experience with XT30 or USB-C audio on cameras, but have used quite a fair bit of USB based DAC for audio monitoring.

in terms of quality, it is usually decent & accurate enough, but due to the USB-C output, depending on the type of Digital to Analog conversion (DAC) involved, there is usually some latency. ie. there'll be some form of delay in audio between what you see on screen, vs listening from the USB-C output. The lag or latency wont be significant, perhaps 2-5frames off, but then again, if there's also latency on the lcd screen or HDMI output, then it might just be compensated accordingly.

This is just my guess based on the technology involved.
I have no hands-on experience with XT30 or USB-C audio on cameras, but have used quite a fair bit of USB based DAC for audio monitoring.

Thks for ur reply.

I am not too concerned with latency, as long as the final video file is audio sycn-ed.

I am just concerned with the audio level, besides using the screen meters... I will want to listen to it "LIVE" so that I can rectify any overly loud/soft audio.

So what bothering me is: do I really need 3.5mm ? or a USB C with adapter works 100% the same in terms of audio level monitoring?

(the reason why I want accurate audio level monitoring is to prevent my recorded audio being too soft/too loud till it distorts... and my recording is live so I cannot get another chance)

I agree, but i just want to hv a secondary tool to double verify vol accuracy and also ambient noise monitoring.

from what I read, it seels to be quite an accurate output from the USB C as Fujifilm's USB C audio out is actually analogue (from reviews of XT-30)

Another option is to use the HDMI output for monitoring. You can listen to the audio using a HDMI to VGA+3.5mm dongle.
1.png

Last edited:
Another option is to use the HDMI output for monitoring. You can listen to the audio using a HDMI to VGA+3.5mm dongle.

Hey Thks... but looks like another device to hang around on the camera... not a big issue but if already have a camera and need sound out then this is a solution. For me, I haven't bought the camera yet so I might as well get one with a dedicated headphone out.

but just wonder is USB-C sound out is accurate? but so far my reading online seems to suggest yes it is as accurate.

Hi,

I am looking to buy a camera with a Microphone in and headphone out 3.5mm ports.

The more higher-end models hv both

but the lower/mid-end mode sometimes hv the headphone out as USB C

Is audio monitoring via USB C (via an adapter) to a headphone accurate?

Thks!
Buy an external recorder like an Atomos Ninja V. You can monitor audio and record at a much higher quality video, provided the camera has a clean HDMI output.

Buy an external recorder like an Atomos Ninja V. You can monitor audio and record at a much higher quality video, provided the camera has a clean HDMI output.

Thks but don't think I need such grade of quality.

Anyway I just bought the X-T200... the mic in preamp isn't fantastic... so might just record the audio using a Zoom H4n if the mic quality is not good enough.