Usb 3.0

Yappy

May 30, 2004
USB 2.0 has been around for a while...

Anybody using USB 3?

USB 2.0 has been around for a while...

Anybody using USB 3?

My new Asus Motherboard has 2x USB3 at the back. But I currently don't have any USB3 device that could make use of the higher speed port. Btw, the motherboard manual clearly state that no device beside HDD (USB 2 or 3) should be used on the port.

Last edited:
My Asus laptop has one USB3.0 port but it's damn iffy. Suppose to be backwards compatible with USB2.0 devices but only some will work. My Cruzer sure as hell doesn't like it.

So far, I only know of one WD external HDD that is USB3.0. Nothing else is.

I have to upgrade my 3TB to USB 3, it came with USB 2 adapter but can upgrade to USB 3.

I only know 2 of my WD external HDD that are USB3.0...But I currently don't have any USB3.0:complain:Desktop and Laptop and Netbook and can only..."Bang-My-Top"...like this--->:mad2:...:bsmilie:, that could make use of the higher speed pork:cry:...:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Using a Western D portable HDD with my Gigabyte SFF motherboard, confirm it's significantly faster than USB2, felt it was probably 2x or 3x, don't have another HD to test :), it's worth it if you frequent transfer lots of data :D

Still not so popular. Claim to be 100x faster.

Bought the wrong HD wihch come with USB 3.0 but my system does support USB 3.0. May need a adaptor..

Bought the wrong HD wihch come with USB 3.0 but my system does not support USB 3.0. May need a adaptor..

Bought the wrong HD wihch come with USB 3.0 but my system does not support USB 3.0. May need a adaptor..

It will be popular once more USB3 devices comes out and prices goes down. Currenty, the price difference between a 2.5'' 500GB HDD using USB2 and one using USB3 is between $50 to $80. For the price difference… I would rather get a bigger HDD.

But things will change once USB3 becomes common on most PC/Notebook.

I just use eSATA. It's just as good as plugging the harddrive right into the motherboard. :)

(eSATA is basically just a pass-through for the on-board SATA)

I have a HP pd500a 500GB Portable harddisk. It's written on the box that it's USB 2.0 & 3.0 compatible. The Head the cable is also different too.

This icon:
The+USB+3.0+Icon.png

The inside story I've been told is Intel (who created USB and publishes the standards) isn't too keen on USB 3.0 themselves as they are promoting "Light Peak" - the first version is still copper-based, the next version is optic-based..
And as usual their best-est buddy Apple is the first to get it - rebranded as "Thunderbolt" on the new MacBook Pros.

The inside story I've been told is Intel (who created USB and publishes the standards) isn't too keen on USB 3.0 themselves as they are promoting "Light Peak" - the first version is still copper-based, the next version is optic-based..
And as usual their best-est buddy Apple is the first to get it - rebranded as "Thunderbolt" on the new MacBook Pros.

No end to all this gimmick. So shall we wait for Light Peak or...?

And a huge security risk. the Thunderbolt interface and APIs on the Macs run as root. You can download an autorun file to a thunderbolt drive, and when you plug it in to a macbook, it dumps all the user information in about 20 seconds. :)

No end to all this gimmick. So shall we wait for Light Peak or...?

Wait till Light Peak really uses light. Actually surprised that there was a non-photonic version of Light Peak as it was always billed as being a full photonic implementation.

It's funny how a lot of "PC" tech has to be adopted first by Apple to make it popular with other PC manufacturers.

Just hope that LightPeak (aka thunderbolt) will not end up like Firewire....