Usage of the word 'Dear'.

Is the use of the word 'dear' too intimate for casual friends?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Mar 2, 2003
TBC
I have a question on the informal use of the word 'dear'. Do you think it's alright to use in regular context between casual friends or do you think it should be reserved for someone you are very close with like a loved one? I'll like to use the following phrases as examples:

How are you dear?
Have you eaten dear?
Bye dear!
Dear... ( to get the person's attention)

Please give me your opinions.

Edit: I know it's commonly used between girls. But the context is between opposite sexes? I find it too intimate for casual use as only my wife will call me 'Dear'.

Dear Newman...

Oh dear! You have been thinking too dearly about this dear.

Reindeer
Deer

I use 'Dear' to address any models, and no one has ever been bothered yet....
Even if I write ..... "Dear Sion ......." dont think he will mind. :bsmilie::sweatsm:

Dear Newman

You have been reading too much Newman!
Dear me, you are thinking too much about this "dear" thing, time is a dear thing and if you think too dearly on it the deer will come and drink beer

ANYONE ALSO CAN CALL DEAR LA
So long as it's not guy calling guy, and even then seldom is ok as a jest, too often means something is wrong with both of you so I suppose you'd think it's alright in the first place!

I started this topic because someone asked me and when I asked my friends and colleagues, I received a lot of differing opinions. So it can be quite subjective. Imagine if your female colleague called you dear in front of your wife. Would your wife be able to accept it as a casual salutation. 'Dear' can have varied meanings depending on the context. It can even be sarcastic.

I use 'Dear' to address any models, and no one has ever been bothered yet....
Even if I write ..... "Dear Sion ......." dont think he will mind. :bsmilie::sweatsm:

Is "Dear Sion..." the same as "Sion dear...."?:bsmilie:

I started this topic because someone asked me and when I asked my friends and colleagues, I received a lot of differing opinions. So it can be quite subjective. Imagine if your female colleague called you dear in front of your wife. Would your wife be able to accept it as a casual salutation. 'Dear' can have varied meanings depending on the context. It can even be sarcastic.

Oho

Got wifey only you two can call each other dear

No wifey then the whole world call you dear also can la from Pat Mok to Jessica Alba, vice versa

Such is the way of life

Oho

Got wifey only you two can call each other dear

No wifey then the whole world call you dear also can la from Pat Mok to Jessica Alba, vice versa

Such is the way of life

Dear would mean 'sweetheart' or 'darling' in the context of my wife and I. So would your girlfriend/wife mind if another girl calls you dear?

To girls, I call them "dear", to my girlfriends, call them "darling". :lovegrin:

Dear would mean 'sweetheart' or 'darling' in the context of my wife and I. So would your girlfriend/wife mind if another girl calls you dear?

No tell no minding =D =D =D

Just like Sion calls his pink shoes dear

Imagine if his wife found out :bigeyes:

No tell no minding =D =D =D

Just like Sion calls his pink shoes dear

Imagine if his wife found out :bigeyes:

Psychological abnormalies aside, would anyone's spouse/gf/bf not mind if someone else calls you dear in front of him/her?

Psychological abnormalies aside, would anyone's spouse/gf/bf not mind if someone else calls you dear in front of him/her?

hmm, that depends on the relationship...

if i go to a restaurant, and then a waitress comes to me and say, DEAR sir, would you mind having a counter seat? then my gf being overly sensitive gave her a slap... hmm... i think i don't mind any other guys call her dear and i can have a stress venting showdown...

Folks, I'd like to keep this topic straight to the point so please don't flood it with unnecessary banter. I just want to clarify this issue for a friend. I hope those who polled would put in some feedback as well. So far got 1 'Yes' but no feedback on it yet.

if i go to a restaurant, and then a waitress comes to me and say, DEAR sir, would you mind having a counter seat? then my gf being overly sensitive gave her a slap... hmm... i think i don't mind any other guys call her dear and i can have a stress venting showdown...

how come you and your gf so violent one? like husband like wife sia :bsmilie:

'Dear sir' is different'. If she just called you 'Dear' only, I'm sure you will be the one answering a lot of questions from your gf. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

Alamak Newman is actually serious, and not doing a Harry Potter!

Well Newman it depends on the tone lor, if it's a close friend then usually they'd be close enough to know what your wife/gf is like and act accordingly, don't see any issue. For colleagues not close enough how can anyhow call like that

If other guys goose your gf how ar DCA

Folks, I'd like to keep this topic straight to the point so please don't flood it with unnecessary banter. I just want to clarify this issue for a friend. I hope those who polled would put in some feedback as well. So far got 1 'Yes' but no feedback on it yet.

when in doubt, get to the source of the problem, asking 3rd, 4th, 5th ... persons only gives you more doubt. you don't call others the ''3rd party'' for nothing, they'll just party over it ;)

when in doubt, get to the source of the problem, asking 3rd, 4th, 5th ... persons only gives you more doubt. you don't call others the ''3rd party'' for nothing, they'll just party over it ;)

Party!

dd_madagascar_lemurs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.