Usage of photo by media company

Status
Not open for further replies.

babykailan

Sep 5, 2006
Singapore
autarkic.org
Hi all,

There is a media company in the US currently seeking to use one of my images. I am trying to get more details but for a start, I wish to know what are the issues I should be aware of. I have absolutely no idea how much to charge also but like I said, I am still awaiting their reply.

Anyway, this is the company : http://www.spaner.com/

Will be grateful if anyone could provide some insghts. Thanks all.

OT but you have really lovely cat photos!

well, if the pic does not mean veri much in value to you, sell it off to them, keeping it makes no one at the advantage;)

Hi all,

There is a media company in the US currently seeking to use one of my images. I am trying to get more details but for a start, I wish to know what are the issues I should be aware of. I have absolutely no idea how much to charge also but like I said, I am still awaiting their reply.

Anyway, this is the company : http://www.spaner.com/

Will be grateful if anyone could provide some insghts. Thanks all.

Find out how is the photo being used e.g. size and volume of publication, duration, exclusivity etc. Go to a stock photo site and find out the price of such a usage.

normal duration is 1 year, if they want to use the image after that,
they will have to pay you again.

mind you this is for the states, in spore clients will normally not take the offer
or you can sell exclusive rights to them

Quite true as most companies try to ask for exclusive rights. Most of the time I only allow exclusive-first-use with limited print licenses with full copyrights still retained by me. As mentioned before price according to the market rates.

Do not sell your rights of the photo off.

In US, where commercial firms source thru photo stocks pay according to the scope of the work. Magazine/publication depends on the circulation. If they use it outside the stipulated scope, you can claim for it.

I dunno if you can find the pricing or not...here is a site for you to try...

www.photolibrary.com

Not easy for commercial photographers to run a photo library...a few in the past has tried, all did not make money cos local use all no enough money.

However, dun be greedy and ask for similar price from a photo library...cos you are a freelancer and do not have overheads etc...so just take a look at what would be the price that they are gonna pay and just give a discount from there.

GOOD LUCK !!

they are going to use the single image for a website.
i think that changes things. i am still clueless and will appreciate more advice esp. what is market rate.
thanks all who replied. :lovegrin:

they are going to use the single image for a website.
i think that changes things. i am still clueless and will appreciate more advice esp. what is market rate.
thanks all who replied. :lovegrin:

The pricing is dependent on the duration and whether it's published the homepage or a seconddary page.

According to Fotosearch's rate, 1 month on fetches S$416 and on a secondary page, S$208.

Maybe you would like to find out the duration and the placement and let us know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.