USA Today - US can learn a few things from Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
swampthing said:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-14-singapore-transportation_x.htm

Have to agree with certain points the guy makes. In LA I think there's 1.4 persons to 1 car.. imagine the amount of gasoline being used.

Have you ever been to the United States? If you did, you'll know it is almost impossible to get around most US cities without a car. Keep in mind that their public transport system is not as efficient as ours.

I stayed in the US for almost 10 years, and it is common that most families there own at least two or three cars.

not that they dont want to build up the public transport, but their car ownership has reached a point that makes public transport unsustainable beyond a certain size. Current companies are already struggling to make ends meet.

The only thing I could say that they need to learn is to sacrifice present comforts for future benefits. Long Term Planning, high road tax and better metro transport systems for the public.

If that really happen there.. I wonder if Sg would become US public enemy No1.:sweat:

TMC said:
The only thing I could say that they need to learn is to sacrifice present comforts for future benefits.

Comfort? What comfort? Try grocery shopping without a car, especially during winter or summer, and see how long can you last without one.

Taking public transport there is simply not practical, unless you are willing to wait under freezing cold or brazing hot weather for one or two hours. And of course, if you are willing to do grocery shopping for 4 hours, going through several transits before reaching your apartment. If this is what you want, then go ahead, use public transport!

Not that I never took public transport before. Yours truly, me, had been taking the Metro bus for 4 years before getting my own car.

panzerpunk said:
Why would we? We buy american cars wad. :bsmilie:

correction... we buy much more Jap/Korean cars. ;)

They might blame us for the increased cost and inconvinence.:dunno:

panzerpunk said:
What American cars? Chevy you mean. Sorry to disappoint you but the Chevy models in Singapore are made in Korea by Daewoo, and are totally different from those sold in the United States.

CYRN said:
correction... we buy much more Jap/Korean cars. ;)

Toyota Camry is the number 1 selling car in US for 6 years running. We are not the only one who favor Japanese cars.

photobum said:
What American cars? Chevy you mean. Sorry to disappoint you but the Chevy models in Singapore are made in Korea by Daewoo, and are totally different from those sold in the United States.

Ford, Mercedes (Chrysler owned), GM...

Most european cars companies are owned by american conglomerates so while they're not entirely made in the USA, they still bankroll the US Car Companies.

hwchoy said:
how to buy american cars lah, they are all lefties. :(

You can convert the steering wheel to right side. That's what our rich princes from our neighboring country are doing. They convert their Corvettes to right-hand drive.

panzerpunk said:
Ford, Mercedes (Chrysler owned), GM...

Not forgetting Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo and Saab. All owned by Ford.

Even Toyota and Suzuki are 'partially' owned by GM.

madmacs said:
even the toy ones made in china... :sweat:

My collection of over 300 Matchbox cars are made in UK. And my Burago cars are made in Italy.

photobum said:
You can convert the steering wheel to right side. That's what our rich princes from our neighboring country are doing. They convert their Corvettes to right-hand drive.

are you sure, some models are simply not available as righties. the rich princes would hardly need to convert their corvettes, they simply drive it as lefties loh.

hwchoy said:
are you sure, some models are simply not available as righties. the rich princes would hardly need to convert their corvettes, they simply drive it as lefties loh.

I ever seen a Malaysia registered right-hand drive red color Corvette with 'TMJ' license plate parked outside Ritz-Carlton.

Why not? All they have to do is pay the money to do the conversion. And money is what they have, tons and tons of it.

panzerpunk said:

Err..... not exactly as much as we buy European or Japanese cars so er.........

photobum said:
I ever seen a Malaysia registered right-hand drive red color Corvette with 'TMJ' license plate parked outside Ritz-Carlton.

Why not? All they have to do is pay the money to do the conversion. And money is what they have, tons and tons of it.

maybe there are right-handed corvettes, but many american models are lefties only. if there aren't enough market for the conversion (how many countries are right-handed drive, we're in the minorities) they wouldn't tool the parts.

photobum said:
Comfort? What comfort? Try grocery shopping without a car, especially during winter or summer, and see how long can you last without one.

Taking public transport there is simply not practical, unless you are willing to wait under freezing cold or brazing hot weather for one or two hours. And of course, if you are willing to do grocery shopping for 4 hours, going through several transits before reaching your apartment. If this is what you want, then go ahead, use public transport!

Not that I never took public transport before. Yours truly, me, had been taking the Metro bus for 4 years before getting my own car.
Chill dude, not that I havent experienced the states`s PT system before. Just that they are not quite up to standard for such an advanced country. Just imagine SG`s PT system including cabs implanted into the US along with the pricing, that would be a miracle. :bsmilie: prob cut petrol consumption by like say 50% :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.