US version of my LX7

wolfcry

Oct 2, 2010
I got a US version of the LX7. When I try to transfer my video to my PC, I got an error saying that the TY system application is PAL and video is NTSC. Is there away for me to transfer the file? The video is using AVCHD.

Can I change the format to PAL?:bheart:

wolfcry said:
I got a US version of the LX7. When I try to transfer my video to my PC, I got an error saying that the TY system application is PAL and video is NTSC. Is there away for me to transfer the file? The video is using AVCHD.

Why don't you just copy the .mts file from the sdcard to your computer. That's what I do

re-install the photo software....

I don't know what is your TY system. But if you use the included software Photofun Studio 8.3 PE which I am using as a FZ200 (local set) owner, I don't think there will be any problem.

No, your set is meant for US.

Just flash the firmware?

No confident to do so; not sure will it work...

Why don't you just copy the .mts file from the sdcard to your computer. That's what I do
This works! Just that it is not so elegent as the data/time information is missing. This is what I use for now.

re-install the photo software....
Have not tried this... Will find some time to do so.

I don't know what is your TY system. But if you use the included software Photofun Studio 8.3 PE which I am using as a FZ200 (local set) owner, I don't think there will be any problem.
I live in Singapore, so it is PAL. The US set is on NTSC.

Suprised that we can't change the video format...

I live in Singapore, so it is PAL. The US set is on NTSC.

I had thought that PhotofunStudio 8.3PE is the same for both local and US versions. Apparently they are not. See pic which shows local set is for PAL system.

So logically, the US version is for NTSC system.

Are you using the US version of PhotofunStudio?

Thanks Mr Sun for pointing me to the help-about.

After un-install, and re-install that I explicitly select US(NTSC), I am still getting PAL. I even change my PC such that the time zone and location is US... still it does not help.

I finally get it resolved by deleting the settings in the registry. This together with setting the time zone and location to US (I do not know if this is necessary but since my system is already set, I just leave it) finally triggers PhotofunSTUDIO to NTSC...

With today's digital age, I am not sure why PAL/NTSC still matters. It kinda of blessing in disguise that I have NTSC; I get higher frame rate without compromising resolution...

Share your joy of finally resolving the issue. Guess this is how Panasonic enforce the limited warranty which renders the bundled software with limited capabilities. And thanks to your perseverance, sg users who bought us sets will know how to crack the limitation now.

No doubt NTSC has a higher frame rate which makes smoother movements, but PAL has a higher picture resolution with 625 lines as compared to 525 for NTSC for analogue TV. Another advantage of PAL over NTSC is in the colour correction ability.

The HD versions of PAL are dvb-t, dvbt-t2, dvb-s and dvb-c, while ATSC is the advanced version of NTSC.

Further reading:
NTSC vs PAL - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

There is also a forum discussion on question similar to yours:
PAL or NTSC matter in digital tv? - Cinematographers - Cinematography.com

Edit: My comments regarding comparison of PAL and NTSC is only for watching programmes over the air, cable or satellite, it may not be applicable to recording devices capable of recording in both PAL and NTSC systems.

Last edited: