US soldier takes potshots at SAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
i sense racism... that ang moh where got position to say us?

ok la, our army mayb top military commanders can be young and inexperienced? this is becoz we support world peace, we dun go to war often, how to challenge them in war count... they love to take lives away what:angry:

Why called it a "pot shot"? I thought it was a comprehensive and well written piece of military analysis......... It will be wise for our SAF to take note of this "pot shots" and continue to improve on itself.

Mr Walsh shld look at his own backyard.......

Actually what he wrote I feel exactly the same way.

1. We are indeed sometimes too safety cautious in our training. True we should train safely but it is JUST too safe most of the times. this cannot that cannot it restricts creativity fighting and training too. The joke I am not sure if anyone hears b4, ''Cat 1, rain already cannot train. During war Cat 1 also cannot fight''. In a way or two, safety became so serious most commanders want to cover backside, make sure everything won't go wrong, do things with overly care, whether u train objectively becomes secondary many a times.

2. Yes our Col Lim spoke up against the malay not being able to join the sensitive areas. However he merely talked about getting ranks and appointment but not the major factor which i suppose everyone knows. No racism remarks or sentiments here but I as a chinese i really feel fustrated that malays can't be commandos, arti (correct if i am wrong), pilot (got one only) etc...Don't understand why gov simply cannot place the trust in them or what..

My NSF days my fellow commanders were mainly colleagues, such nice people and I would say proficient too. Given all the restrictions the gov is disallowing much quality and fitness to flow into the rank and files of certain units as well as rank appointments. BMTC commander Col Ishak is one such fine example of an excellent malay commander yet I suppose he is the only Col rank malay around. There are more talents to be dug out I suppose but restrictions prevail, human potential denied.

my 2cts worth..

well well.... we should take note & improve.... at least we did not allow guest pilots sending airliners to our buildings...

War inexperienced? That's simply because we don't seek AND wage war.

Soft & inexperienced? Right. Sign me up for Kamikaze Squad and when the event I'm needed, I'll gladly do it.

As for comprehensive & well-written, I'd reserve my comments till I'd seen Mr Walsh's full article. :think:

he expects SG to behave like USA ? send our soldiers round the globe ? they have the manpower and money, we dun have.. :think:

War inexperienced? That's simply because we don't seek AND wage war.

Soft & inexperienced? Right. Sign me up for Kamikaze Squad and when the event I'm needed, I'll gladly do it.
same view as me... but who you wanna Kamikaze for? hahaha.... singapore the plane ex leh

Gee.... he spends several weeks in Spore and suddenly that makes him an expert... its probably analyst like him that got them Vietnam and Iraq.... hahahha....;p

Gee.... he spends several weeks in Spore and suddenly that makes him an expert... its probably analyst like him that got them Vietnam and Iraq.... hahahha....;p

i think he wants people to buy his book rite... :sweat:

i would not make too much from whatever mediacorp says.

one thing is that unless we all read the article in it's entirity it can easily be biased one way or the other especially when these quotes are taken out of context. i would say cool off, read it through, then make a decision as to whether anything is racial or if it is pot shots.

one interesting thing to me is how one person says its racial, then another says he sees it the same way as the author; yet i'm assuming both people are singaporean and have served time in the military. with that being said, it falls back to an opinion of things and how one sees them...hmm, just as the author gave his opinion perhaps?

another interesting thing i see is how one person says at least we didn't allow guests to fly planes into buildings, which i would label a pot shot as opposed to an observation (such as the authors). sentiments like that are what spark uncalled for remarks especially when someone like me personally knew someone who died that day.

i sincerely hope we do not all believe what mediacorp has to say, just the same as other channels like fox and even our governments and leaders. find out for yourself, think for yourself, and think critically for everyone. i promise, the world becomes a different place for us all once we do.

i don't want to go to Iraq & shoot innocent children.

just like to add that Mr Walsh's so-called relevations and mind-boggling observations are old news and a rehash. Malays in the SAF ? My, my....our beloved neighbors will (again) no doubt revive this again.
I'm sure his article will be snapped up by the regional papers and will provide fodder for our kind, loving, humble, modest neighbors.

Thank you, Mr Walsh for your deep, insightful & thought-provoking revelations.

USA! USA! USA! (ala Spartan war cries.....)

It's an academic article. I could probably write a paper about how the US Army practises affirmative recruitment to help provide more recruits and moderate the effect of current overreach in deployment, and how that decreased combat effectiveness of the average grunt.Then I'd be open to peer review as well, so to speak

I would love to see a paper written in a reviewed journal that tries to rebut these points.

There is one issue I agree with Walsh, and that is the role of our command staff, and whether they are trained first and foremost as strategists and warfighters, or perceptually in their roles as a preparatory function for further civil office. :nono:

i think he wants people to buy his book rite... :sweat:

It's in an academic journal titled "Armed Forces & Society : An Interdisciplinary Journal." It does not deal mainly in military policy, but it has papers relating to the role of gender in the military and how inherent or constructed culture shapes that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.