US Kitty Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singer high said:
Minor nitpick: during take-off the rudders are supposed to turn inwards.
When turned outwards (as in your pic) they function as airbrakes instead. ;)
thanks for the pointer dude.
this is the only pic (of the plane in this position) i had to work with so it's gonna be a bit tricky to get the rudders up. the original pic's wings were also folded. took me some time to draw the folded half down to where it is now.

Clown said:
thanks for the pointer dude.
this is the only pic (of the plane in this position) i had to work with so it's gonna be a bit tricky to get the rudders up. the original pic's wings were also folded. took me some time to draw the folded half down to where it is now.
The US Navy website has LOADS of photos for you to reference. Go check it out!
http://www.news.navy.mil/view_galleries.asp

Here's one for you.
web_060827-N-0119G-057.jpg

U.S. Navy photo

Yes, flaps are down during take-offs and landings. They are to generate extra lift at the lower airspeeds.

just had some free time to play around with the pic.

here's the version 2 of the thingie. havent fixed the flaps tho.. maybe i'll do it the next round.
kittyhawk-2sss.jpg

edited: changed the directions of the objects
added: steam catapult

Wow, at first I thought this is real :p
After looking at the jet which is about to take off, it looks more like game CG :D
But hey, I'm really impressed! =D

Maybe you wanna try dulling the lighting of the jet which is bout to take off to "reduce" the reflection of the "sunset"? I don't think the jet's body is that reflective. Hmmm... Improve the casting of the shadows? Heh, Just my 2cents worth

Small point bro, during take-off, the carrier will deploy the back-blast doors to increase the thrust of the plane. Unless the picture shows the plane already in motion, the back-blast doors will cover the image of the afteburners and the back of the plane. If you want to show the plane in motion, I guess you can add more steam around the catapult near the front undercarriage. Juz my 2 cents worth.

Kelvin

Small point bro, during take-off, the carrier will deploy the back-blast doors to increase the thrust of the plane. Unless the picture shows the plane already in motion, the back-blast doors will cover the image of the afteburners and the back of the plane. If you want to show the plane in motion, I guess you can add more steam around the catapult near the front undercarriage. Juz my 2 cents worth.

Kelvin
oh i had that in mind but thought i'd picture the scene as seen from between the blast flap and the plane.

oh i had that in mind but thought i'd picture the scene as seen from between the blast flap and the plane.

Yo bro,

Great pic. Might want to consider moving the rows of "parked" jets to the right. Left side usually "double yellow lines" :sweatsm:.

Cheers

Kelvin

issit? wont the left side be too empty then?

issit? wont the left side be too empty then?

Hee hee. Bro, the left side is the sea and meant for emergencies. Usually, the front part of the carrier is empty during take off and full during landings (guess why :sweatsm:). Ha ha. Don't worry bro, it works but just looks a bit odd. Check out the deck from the earlier pictures. Notice the left side of the carrier (sorry for my kaypoh-ness, I no expect in these stuff, juz starting out on digital photography).

Cheers

Kelvin

Yeah, Kelvin brought up a good point.

Since can see the bridge, it means the Hornet is taking off from one of the waist catapults. In that case the planes should not be parked on the left side.

If you mean to have the Hornet take off from the bow catapult, then the bridge should not be visible.

Sorry for all these nit-picking. ;)

Yeah, Kelvin brought up a good point.

Since can see the bridge, it means the Hornet is taking off from one of the waist catapults. In that case the planes should not be parked on the left side.

If you mean to have the Hornet take off from the bow catapult, then the bridge should not be visible.

Sorry for all these nit-picking. ;)
ahh... i see.
man, should have researched more in carrier science b4 attempting this. lolx

ahh... i see.

No lah bro, its juz that when I was young, I read a lot of war comics and books (instead of studying:eek:) so know juz a bit more about it.

You might like to watch the show JAG on Star World coz they usually have shots of the carrier to get some idea.

Here's a good overhead shot of a carrier

http://www.1000pictures.com/aircraft/carrier/usn-uss-abraham-lincoln-cvn72-1.jpg

And this one looks like ready for ops (see the back blast door)
http://www.1000pictures.com/aircraft/carrier/usn-uss-john-c-stennis-cvn74.jpg

And 1 last small point, the backblast doors are usually very close to the afterburners so you might need to give a hint of the doors?
http://navysite.de/cvn/cvn75_26.jpg

Hope that helps bro. I still think you did a great job.

Cheers

Kelvin

Erm, Kelvin, don't mind if I correct something. ;)

The 'back-blast doors' are called jet blast deflectors (JBDs). And the purpose is not to increase the thrust of the plane, but to divert the hot exhaust of the plane on the cat upwards, away from the other planes parked behind waiting their turn to take-off.

So you watch JAG too? Where to catch the last season on TV?

Erm, Kelvin, don't mind if I correct something. ;)

The 'back-blast doors' are called jet blast deflectors (JBDs). And the purpose is not to increase the thrust of the plane, but to divert the hot exhaust of the plane on the cat upwards, away from the other planes parked behind waiting their turn to take-off.

So you watch JAG too? Where to catch the last season on TV?

Hi bro, Thanks. I stand corrected.

JAG? I use to watch it faithfully but nowadays don't really have the time. I usual try to borrow the DVDs from my collegue :D!

Cheers

Kelvin

ahh... i see.

you're not doing a technical drawing!Geez...
Your plane is fictitious, and so can your carrier..Just say its some futuristic thingy...don't let their technical mumbo jumbo bother you man...

My comment is that you may wanna look at composition? Can you see how the various elelments are all fighting for attention?

Somehow reminds me of a film...
Final Countdown (1980)
* The modern aircraft carrier USS Nimitz with 6,000 men and 100 jet aircraft is caught in a strange vortex and thrown back in time to 1941 near Hawaii, just hours before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen.

A reminder to all, please do not hotlink photos IF you do not own the copyrights to unless you have written permission from the rightful owner of those photos. Instead of hotlinking, remove the IMG tag from you post and just supply the URL to the image.

Thanks!

- Roy

you're not doing a technical drawing!Geez...
Your plane is fictitious, and so can your carrier..Just say its some futuristic thingy...don't let their technical mumbo jumbo bother you man...

My comment is that you may wanna look at composition? Can you see how the various elelments are all fighting for attention?

Somehow reminds me of a film...
Final Countdown (1980)
* The modern aircraft carrier USS Nimitz with 6,000 men and 100 jet aircraft is caught in a strange vortex and thrown back in time to 1941 near Hawaii, just hours before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen.
Oh MAN! you made my day! haha... gonna try to source for a lightning storm background now. grinz~

just a thought.. would the pic be more balanced if i just removed the left bunch of planes? wouldnt it be too empty there?

Oh MAN! you made my day! haha... gonna try to source for a lightning storm background now. grinz~

just a thought.. would the pic be more balanced if i just removed the left bunch of planes? wouldnt it be too empty there?

That might work bro, though it will look a bit "empty". Do you some images of the deck crew? If so, add a couple of them on the left side would do the trick.

Cheers

Kelvin

Status
Not open for further replies.