US grounds F-15 jets after crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

afbug

Aug 19, 2004
Planet SG™
US grounds F-15 jets after crash

The US Air Force has grounded its entire fleet of F-15 fighter jets after a jet crashed on a training mission in Missouri last week.
Use of the planes will be restricted until a possible structural failure in the aircraft has been investigated, an air force spokesman said.

The Air Force has 676 F-15s in service, including a number in Afghanistan.

F-15s have had several accidents this year, although the current suspension is linked only to last week's crash.

Preliminary inquiries suggest that the F-15 may have been affected by a mechanical failure.

Ejected pilot

The plane belonged to the Missouri Air National Guard and was being used in a training exercise when it crashed near the city of Salem, Missouri.

It is thought that the plane, which dated from 1980, started to break up in the air. The pilot ejected, suffering a broken arm and minor cuts and bruises.

The Air Force now says hundreds of jets are to undergo urgent safety checks, including those on mission in Afghanistan. The planes are no longer used in Iraq.

Orders to ground an entire fleet of planes are not common. Air Force spokeswoman Jennifer Bently said that she did not know when the step had last been taken.

Although the decision to ground the F-15s was based solely on the Missouri crash, the jets have been involved in three other accidents in recent months.

F-15s have been a mainstay of US air power since 1975, but the Air Force stopped buying them in 2004, intending to replace them gradually with the more up-to-date F-22 Raptor, made by Lockheed Martin.

Boeing - the manufacturer of the F-15 - is still producing them for other customers.

And to think that SG bought some F-15s! What will happen? :think:

SGP's F-15s are new? no?

Yeah new but the news said that it is 'possible structural failure'. It could be a design flaw and thats why the entire fleet is grounded. If not, I dun think US will ground its entire fleet. Its gotta be serious.

IAF and JDSF have also grounded their F-15s

wow we bought 25

according to straits times, i think ours is f-15SG or something, a different model (pardon me if i read it wrongly)

A fundamental design flaw would have been there and then. Not after 20 years of production, countless missions, many of them combat in nature where the pilots really push the envelope.

IAF and JDSF have also grounded their F-15s

Israil and Japan airforce? I think Korea also have F15s.

wow we bought 25

according to straits times, i think ours is f-15SG or something, a different model (pardon me if i read it wrongly)

Its just a different variant. They still share and use similar or same airframe and structural design. Main diff are the avaionics, role, amarment etc.

If they say ground entire fleet, it means all variants the US are using are grounded.

Moer info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15_Eagle#Variants

A fundamental design flaw would have been there and then. Not after 20 years of production, countless missions, many of them combat in nature where the pilots really push the envelope.

Certain things are not there and then. It could fail after many uses. eg, SG's Hotel New World collasped years after it was overloaded. Not instant.

I only said that it could be a design flaw. Far from correct as I'm siting miles away from USA. Its only a guess as it involves the entire fleet.

wow we bought 25

Yeah, ours got modified military spec cashcard reader installed, lol :bsmilie:

It is quite routine to ground all aircraft of the same type immediately after a crash, it is just a matter of precaution until the reason for the crash can be determined.

yes ours is F-15SG

The SG version is based on the F-15E, the air-to-ground strike version.

Fantastic-looking bird, if I must say.

is the F-22 available for purchase or the USAF is using it for themselves just like the F-14? i'd say, swop the F-15 for the F-22. who knows, maybe we will get Starscream too :bsmilie:

Did a search and found out USAF has already stopped buying the F15s from 2004 from Boeing. Singapore 24 F15s and South Korea 40-60 F15s is the latest order and could be the last that will keep production lines until 2015.

Furthermore USAF might fully replace F15 with F22 by 2014. But by then the F35 will enter service for the USAF.

What surprised me is S'pore is participating in the F35 development!

The JSF Security Cooperation Participation (SCP) concept developed requiring ~$50M investment per country. The goal is to provide an opportunity for friends/allies to participate in JSF with goal and to be “well informed” customers in the process. The SCP consists of JSF vision/framework formalized in a National Armaments Director NAD-to-NAD Letter of Intent (LOI). It also consists of JSF “business details” formalized in a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) Letter of Offer and Acceptance (LOA). SCP dialogue was conducted goverment-to-government; Singapore and Israel are participating under the SCP designation.

And to add further, Singapore got the F15SG becoz 2015 is too long to wait for the ageing A4SU replacement. This might mean we will see F35s in our skies in the future as it meets our requirement as Short Take Off/ Vertical Landing Aircraft.

Mind you USAF are replacing the A10s and F16 for these F35. Britain replacing the Harrier for the F35s too.

Can our fighters fire missiles? Malaysian US fighters firmware have a lockout preventing it from flying any actual missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.