Urgent ! what/how to feed a new born kitten !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kex

Oct 16, 2002
beebox
www.beebox.com.sg
i need some advise here,

Yesterday afternoon,i saw a new born kitten with the eyes still closed crawling behind my block and dun see the mum around.

i couldn't bear to leave it there becoz it is just beside a carpark and the traffic there is quite heavy..

so i put it into a paper box and put a tray of milk in it and left it under the staircase landing,hoping the mum will come pick him back..

just now when i came home,the kitten is still in there !!and the tray of milk seems to be untouched!

i took a closer look and realise it is still breathing:D i believe she will not survive long without food or water..

what and how should i feed the poor fella??

i never handle new born kitten b4,would appreciate some help/advise..

should i leave it there? i got a dog at home,i dun think i can bring it back..

i dun mind feeding it and keep it alive outside my flat though..

Any one ??

never see the mum around lei..

the kitten crying for a long time..
use a straw and feed the kitten??
they need any solid food ?

Try these links. I do find the first one useful.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1388&articleid=912

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/ht/bottlefeed.htm

The kitten seem to be just a few days old. Hand feeding is the only way and you cannot wait for it to roll to the tray and lick from the tray. If not cared well, it won't make it past the third day since it has zero water intake.

Good luck.

hi,

thanks for the link! the 1st one is really helpful,i just brought the kitten in and kept him warn under a warm towel.
fed him a few drop of milk just now,he is sleeping quietly wrap under the towel in a makeshift box with a cotton cloth "mattress"
hope he can surivive !
DSC_0003-1.jpg

Go to any pet shop. Get animac, the milk subsitute and milk bottle. If u need sms me at anytime (And I mean anytime) , I can help teach u what to do. For goodness sake, I can even drop by to teach u how to feed, make it **** and urine. Yes its too young to know how to **** and urine by itself.

I have one 2 month old kitten, same story as you. Found her few days old at void deck.

Whatever you do, dont bath her. Too young to shower. Will die....

thanks for ur kind offer,
i fed in using the cotton stick meant for our ears with the abbott baby milk powder..
that's the best i can find for him now..
he did lick some when i put the stick into his mouth.
will go get the animac 2moro..
Good luck to him !

hi bro,

One kind deed!

Get Animalac as mentioned. If you can, get the baby bottle like thingy for it. Smaller version of those use for feeding babies.

Feed it frequently and try to make it pee and poo after each feeding. massage the abdomen gently after feeding. Tickle abit to make it pee.

Hope that the kitten has a strong will. All the best!

regards,
tltan

I would really advise you to got to a vet or contact me to come teach u what to do. Bringing to the vet is so that they can check on it, sell u the neccessary milk and nipple and teach u everything u need to know. Contacting me is because I wont charge u consultation like vet.

Kittens cant drink our milk, gives them the runs. But in this scenario, I guess take its as emergency food for now. You MUST get it the animac and the nipple. And you must know how to make it peep and poop. It is fatal for them if they dont poop and peep.

Lastly dont mean to sound like a nag but are you planning to adopt the fellow? Asking cos be prepared for visits to the vet pretty often till it is 2 months old. Must spend money on deworming, it might get the runs, or it might consipate. Basically its life is very fragile and now congrats you are the mother. Feed 5 times a day and constant care. I know cos I became that father to my kitten. 2 months of black eye from lack of sleep. So be prepared.

centuryegg said:
I would really advise you to got to a vet or contact me to come teach u what to do. Bringing to the vet is so that they can check on it, sell u the neccessary milk and nipple and teach u everything u need to know. Contacting me is because I wont charge u consultation like vet.

Kittens cant drink our milk, gives them the runs. But in this scenario, I guess take its as emergency food for now. You MUST get it the animac and the nipple. And you must know how to make it peep and poop. It is fatal for them if they dont poop and peep.

Lastly dont mean to sound like a nag but are you planning to adopt the fellow? Asking cos be prepared for visits to the vet pretty often till it is 2 months old. Must spend money on deworming, it might get the runs, or it might consipate. Basically its life is very fragile and now congrats you are the mother. Feed 5 times a day and constant care. I know cos I became that father to my kitten. 2 months of black eye from lack of sleep. So be prepared.

Well said bro. And well done too!

Bro kex,

follow the advise. I think a vet might be the way to go. Remember to mention that its stray and you rescue, the vet might give a discount.

Regards,
tltan

i only plan to keep it alive till he can take solid food.

can't give it a permanent home.

i got some tips from a frd on how to massage the fella to let it defecate.

The rest is up to him..

Please when u are ready to let it go. Dont put it back in the wild.

reasoning being, the kitten first thing that it sees is you and hence to it Humans are the only thing it knows and you are the mother. If you put it out, it will not know how to interact with other cats and might be attacked and may strave to death.

With the first 2 months of its life being spent with humans, it wont know how to fend for itself.

When u want to put it up for adoption, let me know. I help you to post on pet forums and find owners.

Are there anyone willing to take care of him ??

i need to work,got can't feed him every hour..

the cat didn't make it..

i just fed it with the cats milk this morning..

~!@#$%T^Y&U*IOP)_

feel like **** now..

kex said:
the cat didn't make it..

~!@#$%T^Y&U*IOP)_
what you mean of did not make it?? mean she dun drink??go to pet shop and buy the milk bottle ..mix warm and cold water to feed..2 hour 1 time ,she dunno how to drink like adult cat .

must force feeding if not she will die if no food ..dun buy fresh milk ,they can't take fresh one.. buy milk powder ..but dun put too much ..:nono:

they just like a human baby .. that more ideal in this web site .. www.pets.com.sg

kex said:
the cat didn't make it..

~!@#$%T^Y&U*IOP)_

feel like **** now..
pls do not shower the kitten !!they dun drink much too..:D dun worry she fine .. the photo look wet to me ,did you bring her to shower ?? please dun ,after food put a bit of water to the tissue to clean his neck and mount!!

i fed him this morning with the kitten milk powder and baby bottle i bought from the pet shop.

he just passed away..

kex...i understand ur feelings....
the same thing happened to mi 6mths ago...
i got 3 members in the house helping mi take care of the kitty...
but still couldn't make it...
U did ur best....
For now, it deserves a proper burial...

Its okay take it easy dude. One died on me before too.

My present girl, everyone even the vets told me to take it easy if she dont make it. I guess she has a strong will to live and I was very lucky that she made it this far. Normally kittens this young, 9 out of 10 and most of the time 10 out of 10 dont make it.

Anyway just noticed that quite a few people find kittens nowadays and would like to offer this. If you need help, call me. I can help and even come over and teach. If need be, help you find someone to look after the kitten.

My number 98297168

Status
Not open for further replies.