URGENT!!!: travelling with tripod!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
guys! i need your help urgently, can tripod be hand-carried into the passenger area of the plane? or will it be seen as a weapon and thus not allowed?
how do you guys transport your tripod when travelling? do you check it in into a big luggage? or do you check in the tripod just alone in its tripod bag?

for checking in, will there be a high risk of tripod getting damaged? IE: the man anyhow throw the tripod? cos' my tripod bag is a cheap cheap type, not padded.

err ... as far as i know .. as long as it's in a tripod bag or strapped to your bag it's safe to hand carry onboard ... at most offer to allow them to lock it in the pilot's cabin during the flight and claim back on landing ..

I carried a Gitzo 1227 in a bag of course, last week up SQ, no problems, the air stewardess even helped me store it away in their cloak room. Didn't run into any issues at the boarding area's scanning also

However, it's very subjective at the airport, Japan's airport insisted I do a check in as it violates their regulations in length... :dunno: I told the counter staff it's very fragile and should be treated as such, so out of 4 flights I took last week, 3 was checked in, my tripod is still alive when I last checked after landing.

I did see a girl with a Slik U6600 just hanging at the side pouch of her hand-carried harversack back from Japan tho', so I guess it's the size of the tripod and not the possibility of it being a dangerous weapon. ;)

i did bring it up on my flight to vietnam early this yr on SQ,but vietnam custom refuse to let me bring it on flight and insist i check it in as a luggage.

dun worry too much about your tripod getting damaged,as long as u dun see it been thrown ard,u should be fine !

if u are so worried,u can buy a pelican case for it.But u might be worried about the case then..LOL

tripod can survive alot of "torture" la,dun worry.

wah...i also need to know this.

this july i carried a Nikon tripod slung over my shoulder thru changi and melbourne's tullamarine airport. no probs.

but im gg to korea in dec. not sure if my slik330 + 486RC2 can tahan being thrown around or not.

OH! and one more thing. theres this whole thingy about security issues now, and how we are advised not to check in bags with no locks. then tripod bags have no locks. what if someone slips some drugs or sth inside then how?:think:

I got myself a 60 litre backpack just to carry a tripod for check-in (I mean, dump the whole thing in. Might wanna consider that if tripod is really important. Mine got leg warmers, not really padding... are tripod padded? Went to Bali and back recently and came back in a happy one piece.

Expiredyoghurt said:
err ... as far as i know .. as long as it's in a tripod bag or strapped to your bag it's safe to hand carry onboard ... at most offer to allow them to lock it in the pilot's cabin during the flight and claim back on landing ..

Are you serious?...put in the pilot's cabin?? heheh...If getting stuff on the plane is that hard...trying to get something into the very space contains the only pilots to fly this plane?

Did not know the pilot's cabin is private checking-in counter as well.

kex said:
i did bring it up on my flight to vietnam early this yr on SQ,but vietnam custom refuse to let me bring it on flight and insist i check it in as a luggage.

dun worry too much about your tripod getting damaged,as long as u dun see it been thrown ard,u should be fine !

if u are so worried,u can buy a pelican case for it.But u might be worried about the case then..LOL

tripod can survive alot of "torture" la,dun worry.

i experienced the same thing in Vietnam.
I couldnt handcarry my monopod.
But had to check it in. they wrapped it up for me very well and i just tipped them abit.

espn said:
However, it's very subjective at the airport, Japan's airport insisted I do a check in as it violates their regulations in length

Yeah... kana that in Japan too..

maritimus831 - perhaps u may wana let us know where u r flying to so those who have been there can advise.

sammy888 said:
Are you serious?...put in the pilot's cabin?? heheh...If getting stuff on the plane is that hard...trying to get something into the very space contains the only pilots to fly this plane?

Did not know the pilot's cabin is private checking-in counter as well.

if i organise a photography trip, i'll ask everybody to bring a 055, den lets see how many can fit into the 'pilots' cabin... hahaha...

they will definately take a very good care of your tripod if you taking biz class
;)

i wonder if it happens for Hong Kong... hmm...

This kind of thread only indicates one thing... its HOLIDAY SEASON!:D

fuzzy said:
i wonder if it happens for Hong Kong... hmm...

This kind of thread only indicates one thing... its HOLIDAY SEASON!:D
I went HK with Gitzo 1128 before, no problems with hand carry in plastic bag.

Yup, recently went to Hong Kong by Singapore Airline, handcarry the tripod without tripod bag, plus a camera backpack, no question asked.

Went Holland in Apr last year, had to check-in my tripod at SQ counter..
But when flew to Eygpt in Dec, counter staff say no need to check-in.. so go figure...
Methinks best ask before checking-in and have space in luggage to pack 'pod, just in case.. ;)

espn said:
I carried a Gitzo 1227 in a bag of course, last week up SQ, no problems, the air stewardess even helped me store it away in their cloak room. Didn't run into any issues at the boarding area's scanning also

However, it's very subjective at the airport, Japan's airport insisted I do a check in as it violates their regulations in length... :dunno: I told the counter staff it's very fragile and should be treated as such, so out of 4 flights I took last week, 3 was checked in, my tripod is still alive when I last checked after landing.

I did see a girl with a Slik U6600 just hanging at the side pouch of her hand-carried harversack back from Japan tho', so I guess it's the size of the tripod and not the possibility of it being a dangerous weapon. ;)
Thnx for da info! Will come in handy! ;)

The last time I brought mine to Sydney they allowed me to bring it on board and I joked that a terrorist could modify my Slik Pro400DX into a 3 gauge shotgun. :bsmilie:

jsbn said:
Thnx for da info! Will come in handy! ;)

The last time I brought mine to Sydney they allowed me to bring it on board and I joked that a terrorist could modify my Slik Pro400DX into a 3 gauge shotgun. :bsmilie:
Given the way the things are now.. I'd advised you NOT to make such jokes... trust me ;)

espn said:
Given the way the things are now.. I'd advised you NOT to make such jokes... trust me ;)
True, true... :bsmilie:

But if anything, an innovative terrorist can do anything.
I guess I'd seen too much movies of late. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.