URGENT REMINDER - ClickArt 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
this is a URGENT REMINDER for those who have signed up for ClickArt 2003 and has yet to submit their registration. you are holding the rest of the participants up from the group discounts.

pls go to this thread and follow the instructions accordingly.
ClickArt - World Photojournalist Meet 2003 (ClickArt 2003)

Till today, only the following people highlighted have registered and paid for ClickArt.

01. Sebastian Song [WS1-S2] [WS2-S4] - registered/paid
02. Larry Loh [WS1-S1] [WS2-S4] - registered
03. Simone Lynn [WS1:S1-2] [WS2:S2-3], Pulling out cos of travel commitment
04. Ullyss hm Wang [WS1-S1] [WS1-S2] - registered/paid
05. Roch Koh [WS1-S1] [WS2-S3]
06. Sam Tay ( oceanxp ) [WS1:S1] [WS2:S3] - withdrawn
07. Caspere [WS1-S1:WS2-S4] - withdrawn
08. Darrell Tan [WS1:S1] [WS2:S4] - registered/paid
09. Teo Boon Hwee [WS1-S1] [WS2-S4] - withdrawn
10. Simon Oh [WS1-S1][WS2-S3] - registered/paid
11. Arthur Yeo [WS1-S1][WS2-S4] - registered/paid
12. Gotcha [WS1-S1] [WSI-S2]
13. Ng Sok Eng [WS1-S1] [WS2-S4] - registered/paid
14. Lim Hui Lin [WS1-S1] [WS2-S4] - registered/paid
15. Chan Kum Hong [WS1-S1] [WS2-S3]
16. Johnson Kiang [WS1-S1] [WS2-S4]

if anyone knows Gotcha or Johnson Kiang, pls ask them to read this thread or PM me urgently. also, if anyone is still interested to join the seminar/workshops, it's still possible. contact me for details. thanks!

I am No. 15. I've already registered and paid. Also got the email notification from the organiser too. :)

Come on people, just need at 1 more. And anyone still wants to join, COME COME COME.

Thanks AJ23! Another quick update...

05. Roch Koh [WS1-S1] [WS2-S3]
15. Chan Kum Hong [WS1-S1] [WS2-S3] - registered/paid

I like to attend the above workshop on 12 Dec, Friday. Can you assist ?
Qualify for discount ?

05. Roch Koh [WS1-S1] [WS2-S3] - registered/paid
15. Chan Kum Hong [WS1-S1] [WS2-S3] - registered/paid

to date i still have not heard from Johnson Kiang (aka "klsss") and Gotcha. anyone knows how to contact them, pls tell them it's urgent cos to date we don't have enough people to qualify for the extra free place (and subsequent discount).

reachme2003 said:
I like to attend the workshop by chip simons on 12 Dec. Can you assist ? Qualify for discount ?
if you're talking about just the workshop alone, i believe there's a 5% discount for all photog associations (including CS), but better call MP Asia direct to check (see the first post of this thread for details).

if you wanna go for the full workshop, call me!!! (i'm PMing you my number) hopefully can still squeeze you in and get early bird discount.

if still indoubt, call me and i try to help.

hi everyone,

unfortunately, it looks like we're short of about 2 people to get the additional discount (additional free place), due to the withdrawal and non-contactable members who committed but have not responded to this thread and my PMs.

However, the 5% group/club discounts still applies, so be assured that you are not paying the full fee. However, for those who decide that this is still too expensive, pls contact MP Asia ASAP and see if they can make arrangements for you.

We have tried our best to make concessions for members by organising this, but it seems that it is not appreciated. I hope that for future events, members will realize that these are organised purely for members' benefits, and CS does not profit from this in any way. I am certainly disappointed that such a promising turnout has been reduced to this level.

First off I would like to extend my heartfelt appreciation to Darren for initiating the CS-Clickart attendance. And, of course, to Larry for carrying on the CS torch when Darren couldnt attend.

Secondly, I am very disappointed that despite CS large member base, we could not even mobilise ten people to attend an international photojournalism conference. This is probably one of the few in-a-lifetime locally held events and the chance to interact and network with foreign heavyweights is reason enough to attend.

The irony is the continued presence of many ever willing to pay for regular shoots organised by less than competent photographers. Yet when Chip, Steve and Kay Chin speak, they are unwilling to turn up.... such is the sad state of affairs. Even the release of a new camera model gets more discussion than a conference held by true masters in their crafts.

loss of words on my end...

Hi

At first, there was about 20+ ... now barely 10. We should ask WHY? I suspect the cost may be quite prohibitive. For full participation, 4 lectures - it is very expensive and only 1 photo submission per theme (total of 5 photos) for the competition. Quite limiting. Worst I just got the shooting out programme. so little time so many places to cover ... Everyone would be busy shooting here and there. I don't think there's opportunity to learn from the others during the shootout (as it is for the compeitition). There's a time shot in the programme for edit and networking that allows participants to interact. But after 1 plus day of hectic shooting, i think many may not turn up for the session at 8am in the morning.

Hopefully, I did not waste my money on this one. There little chance that I might win any prize but certainly hope that I can learn lots from the other photographers.

Arthur... you don learn just by instruction... you can learn from observing... you can learn from hanging out with the guys over a glass of beer after the shoot... you can learn by being a gracious host and showing the competitors around... hang around to network and make friends.. have fun... that is the most impt thing.

as for the competition... what is wrong with one submission per category... if you are to win... one picture is more than enough and due to the length of each shoot it is quite impossible to submit a photo essay of quality.

prohibitive costs? geez you should see what some forum members are paying to shoot for two sessions of 10 minutes. They are definitely not shooting in the company of AP and/or Magnum photographers.

arthuryeo said:
Hi

At first, there was about 20+ ... now barely 10. We should ask WHY? I suspect the cost may be quite prohibitive. For full participation, 4 lectures - it is very expensive and only 1 photo submission per theme (total of 5 photos) for the competition. Quite limiting. Worst I just got the shooting out programme. so little time so many places to cover ... Everyone would be busy shooting here and there. I don't think there's opportunity to learn from the others during the shootout (as it is for the compeitition). There's a time shot in the programme for edit and networking that allows participants to interact. But after 1 plus day of hectic shooting, i think many may not turn up for the session at 8am in the morning.

Hopefully, I did not waste my money on this one. There little chance that I might win any prize but certainly hope that I can learn lots from the other photographers.

arthuryeo said:
Hi

arthur, just 2 points to address your post.

IMHO, the problem was not the prohibitive cost of the seminar, but that people were simply not committed to it. i mean, the prices was already post up for all to see, so everyone should be aware of it. there's no hidden costs AFAIK (other than the 2% extra if you pay via CC). personally i think alot of people take CS and these special arrangements for granted. after all it's just a public forum - can just put your name first, no harm.

2ndly, i really don't think that ClickArt is expensive at all. most seminars range in the thousands of dollars (event organisers and conference regulars will know), and they may not feature speakers of Clickart's standards, or even interactive workshops for that matter. just for comparison, a basic course at PSS is already $100+++ ($120 IIRC), and one at Objectifs is $300++. so i hardly think $300++ for a top-notch 3-day full seminar is expensive.

Hi sebastiansong

Depends on the Judges' preferences. Like the Buskers Competition, some really good pictures were not selected. If you submit more, your chances of being shortlisted increases.

I also would like to add my miserable voice to this thread.

If I didn't go to the US and ended up in hospital for 1 month, I WOULD HAVE PAID THE $300++ BUCKS TO GO FOR CLICKART WITHOUT ANY RESERVATIONS. After all, my Icon for documentary photography will be a key note speaker and I have admired him and his work (no doubt that he isn't one of the best magnum photographers).

Just to go there and not shoot is a humbling experience all together. As what Seb says, it is much wiser to sit around and chit chat all day about photography than one person going out like crazy trying to capture everything that you see. For example, Elliot Eillot spent over 30 plus years capturing nothing but dogs in action and their poses. Only in the early 21st century, he produced a photography book called Dogs Dogs. All he showed were the 30 years worth of Dog shots that are about 5R size. Totally breath taking and lots of imagination and thought must have gone in making that book.

My point is this. When we who are amatuers and unworthy people who call ourselves photographers should actually shoot less and look at other people's work more. And then start to create your own photograph using the same concepts that these pros have.

THAT WOULD BE MY ATTITUDE IN GOING FOR THIS SEMINAR.

my 2 cents worth...

I feel that it is a mistake of the organisers to organise a photographic event, and one of such great value, during the month of December.

December is by itself a month that is a very hectic and peak period for photographers whether it is in event photography (D&D) or wedding photography. Many avid professionals, semi-pro and amateurs could be involved in some form of photographic duties. Coupled with the fact that December is a month for school holidays and a good time for a getaway.

I think for future photographic events, organisers should position the event during a low-key period. I am sure it is not the money. In fact, the price to pay for an event with such great speakers coupled with interactive competitions is of very very high value! In the US, it will cost a lot more.

The problem is in the timing. Do you agree?

snappist said:
my 2 cents worth...

I feel that it is a mistake of the organisers to organise a photographic event, and one of such great value, during the month of December.

December is by itself a month that is a very hectic and peak period for photographers whether it is in event photography (D&D) or wedding photography. Many avid professionals, semi-pro and amateurs could be involved in some form of photographic duties. Coupled with the fact that December is a month for school holidays and a good time for a getaway.

I think for future photographic events, organisers should position the event during a low-key period. I am sure it is not the money. In fact, the price to pay for an event with such great speakers coupled with interactive competitions is of very very high value! In the US, it will cost a lot more.

The problem is in the timing. Do you agree?

Perhaps a better period for this event will be during the traditional seventh month period when weddings and other D&D activities are low. Travels may be low too. In that case, most people are free to attend.
Do you agree?

snappist said:
Perhaps a better period for this event will be during the traditional seventh month period when weddings and other D&D activities are low. Travels may be low too. In that case, most people are free to attend.
Do you agree?

This event was originally scheduled for April but Sars and other commitments prevented it from being held. The replacement date was set in December and frankly there is never a good time. If you are committed you will attend.

Yes, being amatuer - we must go out there to practice, practice and practice. Looking at other people's work is a good start. Learning from others first hand is even more important. The sad part is I have not met many who are willing to pass on their knowledge. Hence, sometimes the only way is to pay $ for it. I remember the first time i posted a photo that i took for the first time with a digital camera, i have people who replied saying "Your photo is not good enough, it should not be posted here". Well, at least it is still a response. There are numerous occassions when many just viewed and couldn't care less to comment.

snappist said:
Do you agree?
7th month??? wah, then the workshop will end up shooting... "weird" things... :D

sebastiansong said:
Secondly, I am very disappointed that despite CS large member base, we could not even mobilise ten people to attend an international photojournalism conference. This is probably one of the few in-a-lifetime locally held events and the chance to interact and network with foreign heavyweights is reason enough to attend.

Maybe some people sign up through other organisations such as PSS etc? I hope to have the opportunity to learn interactively 'cos sometimes that aim gets lost in the organisation of the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.