Urgent!!! Photo Recovery on SDHC issue

williamchew85

Jan 2, 2009
hey guys i have a tech issue.

scenario:
I have a card, for example august i have taken photo no. 1 to 20, and deleted.
yesterday, inside i have taken photo 21 - 25, and deleted
today, inside taken 26 - 50, and deleted

in the end, i realise i forget to save copies of yesterday photo.
when i use photo recovery software, i only able to locate august's and today's but not yesterday's photo instead.

mean in the software, the photo recovery list retrieved don't even have photo 21 - 25!!

how can that be? i tot at least it will recovery most recent photos?

PLEASE HELP!!! the "yesterday's" photo is very important to me!!!

• Use Clubsnap search function to locate various recommended file recovery software programs
  • Select one and install it into the computer
  • Try to recover from the SD card. Those over-written by the more recent saved images, will not be recoverable.

how can that be? i tot at least it will recovery most recent photos?
While waiting for the recovery software to do its job you might want to read up about file systems (here: FAT and FAT32) and see how space is managed. Especially, pay attention to how files are deleted / volumes are formatted. The way you use your card the topic 'fragmentation' could become interesting as well.

Since photo 21-25 is deleted BEFORE creation of 26-30, doesn't data of photo 26-30 override the space occupied by 21-25?

It's logical right?

Why do u think 21-25 are still there?

Which recovery software are you using out of curiosity? I'm having the same problem.

There are some free software available u can search them on google but I do not believe in free software as it will end up messing my computer with virus and spywares and whether it recovers your data intact or not is not guaranteed there are chances that u end up loosing your precious data. So I look for cheap and good software. For recovery software, I bought one before called Kernel for FAT and NTFS, good thing is that it's one time payment and then it allows me to use forever. Take a look if you do not mind paying to get back your data, U can also download d trial version from http://www.digitalcamerarecovery.net/
Using trial version u can preview d data recovered but to save it u hav to purchase the software

[...] but I do not believe in free software as it will end up messing my computer with virus and spywares and whether it recovers your data intact or not is not guaranteed there are chances that u end up loosing your precious data. [...]
Open Source: free of payments, free of viruses. Donate if you feel happy with the results.
Of course, clicking on everything that claims to be free and promises wonders won't bring you far and will result in what you describe here, especially when done without thinking and under Windows. For Linux most recovery tools are already part of the standard distribution. It just takes a bit of learning.

Since photo 21-25 is deleted BEFORE creation of 26-30, doesn't data of photo 26-30 override the space occupied by 21-25?

It's logical right?

Why do u think 21-25 are still there?

if it's such case. mean gone!??? :eek::cry:

Once a write action has been done to a card, any deleted file may be affected depending on how much data is written.
the picture number has no meaning to the SD card. The SD card does not hold image file in specific image slot. For all digital storage, file are stored in clusters. The size of a cluster is fixed and usually about 8Kbytes depends on what option you format it. A typical image size is much bigger so it will require many clusters to store one file. Which starting cluster the file is stored in is indicated in the File Allocation Table(FAT) and in each cluster indicates the location of the next, until a End Of File is read. So each image with different image size will occupy different number of clusters.
If a file is marked deleted, the entry in FAT is removed, but the data is still in the original clusters. However, these clusters are also released to be written by any new data coming in.

So if you have deleted some files and perform recovery before any new data is written. You can get back all the files (provided the computer have not beat you to it by writing some data like thumbnails..). But if you take new pictures until card is full, your deleted data will be guaranteed gone.

If some part of the card is written for new data, then it depends on your luck which random cluster is being used by the SD card to store new image data. So your recovery is not guaranteed and also not depending on when the deletion were made. It's all random.

Last edited:
Hii
Don’t worry I faced the similar problem. You can still lost photos. You can use third party application software to recover lost photos in the case of deletion.

Photo recovery software provides finest solution to recover lost photos in almost all data loss situation.http://www.photosrecovery.co.uk

Last edited: