Urgent: Need some recommendations for Pub shoot

Sgdevilzz

May 16, 2010
i recently got an invitation as a photographer for an event in a pub/lounge. The place is very dark and i don't have a flash. Someone offered me an SB-600 flash but i will receive it only tomorrow during the event. I have never used flash guns before so need some recommended settings on this.

Also when taking photos with flash, is it wise to shoot with the flash pointing upwards (which ever direction) with a reflector card out or directly or using an Omni-bounce diffuser?

I'm not the event type so i'm very new to this thing. Experienced photographers please recommend me. Thanks :cheers:

By the way the event is tomorrow !

Since you haven't use a flash before, I suggest you set the flash to TTL. Bouncing the light off the ceiling is a good idea to diffuse the light but the problem is you have to make sure the ceiling is not very high. Direct flash maybe too harsh. Use an omnibounce for a more diffused lighting. SB600 maybe not be sufficient if it's too dark. In that case, try to bump up the ISO. HTH.

CMI is Criminal Mind Investigation... hehehehhe... for CS lingo is Cannot Make It...

i see thanks! :) in that case, TS is better off with a bounce card. i have no problem using my stofen though

If best you can shoot with a fast prime like 50/1.8 or faster lens. Increase the ISO. I'll shoot wide open for single subject.

Suggest you prepare a white bounce card to attach with the speedlight. Rotate flash head upwards.

Flash Settings: TTL, exposure compensation between -1 to -2EV, turn on AF-Assist Illuminator

Bring extra set of batteries. :)

When you bounce, do take note of the ceiling colour also... coloured/black ceilings will not give you very good outcome.

High ISO is the way to go for PUB shoots as you want to capture the ambience of the pub.... colourful spot light etc

When you bounce, do take note of the ceiling colour also... coloured/black ceilings will not give you very good outcome.

High ISO is the way to go for PUB shoots as you want to capture the ambience of the pub.... colourful spot light etc

Since you haven't use a flash before, I suggest you set the flash to TTL. Bouncing the light off the ceiling is a good idea to diffuse the light but the problem is you have to make sure the ceiling is not very high. Direct flash maybe too harsh. Use an omnibounce for a more diffused lighting. SB600 maybe not be sufficient if it's too dark. In that case, try to bump up the ISO. HTH.

If best you can shoot with a fast prime like 50/1.8 or faster lens. Increase the ISO. I'll shoot wide open for single subject.

Suggest you prepare a white bounce card to attach with the speedlight. Rotate flash head upwards.

Flash Settings: TTL, exposure compensation between -1 to -2EV, turn on AF-Assist Illuminator

Big problem is, most pubs will paint their ceiling black or some funky colors. If you point your flash up and bounce, You are either going to lose a lot of light, or you will have a hell of a job of WB adjustment in PP. In your case, I suggest off camera flash. Don't need light stands or anything. Just use a off camera TTL cable. Hold the camera with one hand, and your flash in your other hand.

Big problem is, most pubs will paint their ceiling black or some funky colors. If you point your flash up and bounce, You are either going to lose a lot of light, or you will have a hell of a job of WB adjustment in PP. In your case, I suggest off camera flash. Don't need light stands or anything. Just use a off camera TTL cable. Hold the camera with one hand, and your flash in your other hand.

If TS don't have TTL cord, he can activate CLS with off camera speedlight.

You can also try something like this..
There are a few models out there

pie5_jf9_p0179_07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

Thanks guys for your fast replies. Forgot to mention i'm using a D5000 so No AF motor or Wireless CLS. The cord sells for like $70 right? Don't have cash to buy cables. I'll take note on the ceiling colors. Does SB-600 have an in-built bounce card? I'm actually thinking of getting a light sphere. Seen a couple of shots with that an looking surprisingly good. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys for your fast replies. Forgot to mention i'm using a D5000 so No AF motor or Wireless CLS. The cord sells for like $70 right? Don't have cash to buy cables. I'll take note on the ceiling colors. Does SB-600 have an in-built bounce card? I'm actually thinking of getting a light sphere. Seen a couple of shots with that an looking surprisingly good. Any suggestions?

SB-600 does not have built-in bounce card.

Light sphere can do too. But it can be blinding though my friend's experience.
I was shooting beside him and the light sphere distribute light all over. Just a caution of usage.

Last edited:

Do people usually turn Exposure compensation down to -1 to -2 when using flash? I have a battery pack Vertical grip so i think that should probably last me the whole day.

I use that on TTL setting to reduce the power of the flash on my subjects.

If you're on manual setting, then it depends on your ISO, aperture, distance between subject & speedlight. It can be more tricky to use especially you are receiving the speedlight at the event.

I got my cord for around 30+. Then again I bought it China. You can probably find it in mass sales for around 40-50+.

Lightsphere (if you get original) will run you 70-90+ already. And seriously speaking LS is only helpful if you lots of walls and ceiling to let light bounce off from. Then you run into the same problem of color of walls etc... A bounce card might work... a big one.

Thanks wmayeo, you've been helpful especially the link you've given : D

I got my cord for around 30+. Then again I bought it China. You can probably find it in mass sales for around 40-50+.

Lightsphere (if you get original) will run you 70-90+ already. And seriously speaking LS is only helpful if you lots of walls and ceiling to let light bounce off from. Then you run into the same problem of color of walls etc... A bounce card might work... a big one.

Not getting Gary's version. Cheap one will do. Hmm.. big bounce cards, how big you recommend? Like these?
promaster-flash-bounce-reflector-vs-aurora-mini-max-bounce-card.jpg

Thanks wmayeo, you've been helpful especially the link you've given : D

Not getting Gary's version. Cheap one will do. Hmm.. big bounce cards, how big you recommend? Like these?
promaster-flash-bounce-reflector-vs-aurora-mini-max-bounce-card.jpg

As big as humanly possible... it is also better if someone can hold a large reflector and you bounce your flash into that. ;)