Urgent - need help for the explanation

babykoh

Jun 27, 2007
1) You are trying to take portraiture outdoor on a sunny day. The sunlight cast a shadow on the opposite side of the subject’s face. The metering reading for key light is f/11 at 1/250 sec. How to achieve the 1:4 lighting ratio?

2) trying to take environmental portraiture at night, a popular shopping mall with beautiful decorative lights as background. The ambient reading is f5.6 at 1/30sec. Subjects stand at a distance from the background in order to include the shopping mall. I have to flash the subjects with a flashlight, as the available light is too dim for exposure. How do I balance with my flashlight in term of its light intensity and colour balance?

throwing ur sch questions in forum here?

1) googling helps:

To produce a portrait with a 4:1 lighting ratio, you would begin by determining the exposure values for the main light. Let’s assume for this example that there is a main light and a fill reflector. The main light is off camera right at 45 degrees and the fill reflector is off camera left at a similar angle. Remove the fill reflector and take an exposure with only the main. Use an incident light meter to measure the amount of light that falls on the side of the face nearest the light. This value will give you the working aperture for the shot. In other words, this exposure value is set such that you get proper exposure in the highlight area of the subject’s face. Now, add the reflector back in and take another exposure. This time, use the light meter to record the exposure value for the light falling on the shadow side of the face. The ratio between these two values should be 1:4 or two stops. So, if the highlight side of the face registered f11 and the shadow side registered f5.6, you have achieved the proper ratio. If you do not get 5.6 in the shadow side, simply move the reflector forward or backward to compensate taking a new reading each time you move it.

http://www.studiolighting.net/lighting-ratios-for-portrait-photography/

2) cant give u the theory....since im a hobbist...but with modern photograhpy...a TTL BL flash will handle everything. hahaha...-> this is more practical. gl for your photography assignments...

That indeed sounds like school assignments. :think:

1) You are trying to take portraiture outdoor on a sunny day. The sunlight cast a shadow on the opposite side of the subject’s face. The metering reading for key light is f/11 at 1/250 sec. How to achieve the 1:4 lighting ratio?
you need to use light meter, and white reflector, take an incident reading of the highlight area only, than take the incident reading of the shadow area only, move the reflector till you get two stops different between the highlight and shadow areas, than take another reading with the dome of the meter pointed at the camera, make an exposure with this final reading.

2) trying to take environmental portraiture at night, a popular shopping mall with beautiful decorative lights as background. The ambient reading is f5.6 at 1/30sec. Subjects stand at a distance from the background in order to include the shopping mall. I have to flash the subjects with a flashlight, as the available light is too dim for exposure. How do I balance with my flashlight in term of its light intensity and colour balance?
a good balance is the exposure of the background one and a half to two stops lower then the subject, you can rely on the flash TTL and camera meter reading, adjust your camera setting accordingly, OR use a hand held flash meter do your exposure manually.

FYI, camera can only have one WB, so you can't balance two different WB into one in your camera, however, you have to let one WB to be the dominating WB or you can gel one light source to make it balance with another light source.

Yup, dun understand wat the instructor talking abt : (

Yup, dun understand wat the instructor talking abt : (

Ask the instructor to explain the question in a different way. If still blur, see Rashkae's reply for further checking.

Ask the instructor to explain the question in a different way. If still blur, see Rashkae's reply for further checking.

Both of you talked so much, I think both of u also dun know how to answer. Dun act like smart

are you putting auto mode to take pic?

lol. it will be easier if the questions were mcq. i think catchlights hit the spot.

Both of you talked so much, I think both of u also dun know how to answer. Dun act like smart

They may not know, true.

But more importantly, they're not the ones asking the question. You are.

So regardless on whether they don't know or they do, the more important and glaring point is that neither do you.

If I were to give replies like that, and indeed, know and have answers to your questions, and then come to see your curt and almost offensive reply, do you honestly think I will even bother hinting anything to you? If I were you, yes, I'd curse and swear. But do have some street-smarts, don't bother saying it out loud. A reply that meant no offense could turn really ugly within minutes, which then could erupt to a massive flamewar. And then - a ban. I'm sure you don't want that.

Last edited:
When somebody asked simple questions, they kenna bombard...no initiative lah...google is ur best friend lah..blah..blah..blah..many think it's a stupid question. And now somebody asked a question that many don't even know how to answer, also kenna sarcastic remarks...so how?? Come on! give us a break man.....

When somebody asked simple questions, they kenna bombard...no initiative lah...google is ur best friend lah..blah..blah..blah..many think it's a stupid question. And now somebody asked a question that many don't even know how to answer, also kenna sarcastic remarks...so how?? Come on! give us a break man.....

there are legit questions and then theres asking because they themselves are too lazy to find an answer...
this bloke clearly hasnt made an effort to ask his instructor or whatever to explain stuff in a different way.

its a bit like going to someone random on the street and demanding them to explain calculus to you because you didnt get it today in maths class... quite a reasonable response to go 'wtf do you think you're doing, are you sure your in the right course?" i reckon..

there are legit questions and then theres asking because they themselves are too lazy to find an answer...
this bloke clearly hasnt made an effort to ask his instructor or whatever to explain stuff in a different way.

its a bit like going to someone random on the street and demanding them to explain calculus to you because you didnt get it today in maths class... quite a reasonable response to go 'wtf do you think you're doing, are you sure your in the right course?" i reckon..

Well, although i think two wrongs don't make a right, e.g. responding rudely at a perceived sarcastic reply; I think the TS might have a point to be aggrieved.

It is a question opened to those who wished to answer, not really demanding everybody who read it to answer. Its not plausible to understand everything in a course just the first time round, thats why its called learning.

Well, although i think two wrongs don't make a right, e.g. responding rudely at a perceived sarcastic reply; I think the TS might have a point to be aggrieved.

It is a question opened to those who wished to answer, not really demanding everybody who read it to answer. Its not plausible to understand everything in a course just the first time round, thats why its called learning.

well tats being mild. take stuff with a pinch of salt. even if ur faced with such remarks, reflect abt it. eg: if the instructor went through and u didnt ask, ur asking for it.

on the other hand, if ur showing a learning attitude we wont bother. i've asked dozens of qns, been scolded dozens of times. but i never failed to say a thank you LOL

well tats being mild. take stuff with a pinch of salt. even if ur faced with such remarks, reflect abt it. eg: if the instructor went through and u didnt ask, ur asking for it.

on the other hand, if ur showing a learning attitude we wont bother. i've asked dozens of qns, been scolded dozens of times. but i never failed to say a thank you LOL

Well, my approach is- it is never too late to ask, so long as it is done with humility and the willingness to learn.

But I suppose this is not my fight nor thread.

Last edited:

What course? I think we'd love to have a chat with your instructor about students who get answers from other people...

And now somebody asked a question that many don't even know how to answer, also kenna sarcastic remarks...so how?? Come on! give us a break man.....

1. This is a school assignment, and as such, it's usually frowned upon to get others to find the answers for you. CS is not a "answer my homework" hotline.

2. If the TS paid attention in class, or took 5 minutes of time to search online, they'd have the answer.