Urgent help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I got a budget of $1,000.

Urgently needed to get a Digital SLR Camera for Company usage (group photo taking)
Need to use both indoor and outdoor.
Wide angle lens is needed.

Any recommendation ?

ahnah

Don't really need a DSLR just to shoot group photo.
Why not a Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd/S9600 ?
Its 28mm is cool enough - no serious distortion.
Then get 1 or 2 external flashes that can be trigger by your in-cam-flash + a flash bracket
This will give additional juice to your flash.

I used this setup to shoot before(using minolta A1 instead).Good results at lower cost. :thumbsup:

Think a D50 with kit lens plus an external flash (SB600?) should be able to do the trick.. 28mm wide is a significant improvement over your current F300 (38mm) and the external flash should allow u to cover indoor shots better..

Now budget is $2K? Easy.....

1. Canon EOS 350D or EOS 400D, with kit lens. ($1200 - $1500)
2. Canon 430EX flash. ($430)

Equipment issue settled. Now the issue is how to use them....

2-3 metres to squeeze in 13 in a row, is very tight. Even if you manage to squeeze all in, the people by the side of the frame won't be too happy with the distortion...:nono:

Cannot expect miracle images to be produced overnight by switching to a DSLR from a P&S. The learning curve will be steep if you have no prior knowledge in SLR/DSLR. Maybe ask your boss sponsor the few of you to some basic Digital Photography Courses....;)

sheesh ... catchlights where are you? some professional advice needed here!

Think a D50 with kit lens plus an external flash (SB600?) should be able to do the trick.. 28mm wide is a significant improvement over your current F300 (38mm) and the external flash should allow u to cover indoor shots better..

Ya lor... that why this round my boss wanted to choose a DSLR which the lense can be change, dun wan to be die die fixed at a certain range.

Now budget is $2K? Easy.....

1. Canon EOS 350D or EOS 400D, with kit lens. ($1200 - $1500)
2. Canon 430EX flash. ($430)

Equipment issue settled. Now the issue is how to use them....

2-3 metres to squeeze in 13 in a row, is very tight. Even if you manage to squeeze all in, the people by the side of the frame won't be too happy with the distortion...:nono:

Cannot expect miracle images to be produced overnight by switching to a DSLR from a P&S. The learning curve will be steep if you have no prior knowledge in SLR/DSLR. Maybe ask your boss sponsor the few of you to some basic Digital Photography Courses....;)

Course ?? I guess I'm the only one to go ..... cause the rest of them not even sure how to use a SLR nor a Photoshop CS2

I thought Pentax got DSLR below $1k??? but I wouldn't say i'llrecommend that though...

Ya lor... that why this round my boss wanted to choose a DSLR which the lense can be change, dun wan to be die die fixed at a certain range.

for company event what kind of range are you looking at? the wider the range the higher your cost. of course if you want to get nice portraits you'll need to pay some decent money for portrait lens. if you change lenses there comes the problem of dust and need to touch up. and maintenance how? need to get dry cabinet also.

for goodness sake,
this is regarding your company image

please spend the money on a pros to get the job done,
do it right at one time only,
don't waste the money buying things you are not sure how to use and everybody time also,
and don't embarrass yourself and the company with the haft past six group photos, unless the company don't wish to publish the photos.

for goodness sake,

don't waste the money buying things you are not sure how to use and everybody time also,
and don't embarrass yourself and the company with the haft past six group photos, unless the company don't wish to publish the photos.

finally you're here! what took you so long! :complain:

Actually the Pentax K100D kit is very good for it's price. But since ahnah's boss appears to know nuts about camera/photography, i'd say go for the Nikon cos he's probably never heard of Pentax before.. ;p

Canon's entry models can be considered too.. but the boss might pick it up and :sticktong on the toylike built.. :bsmilie:

for goodness sake,

well, personally I do understand and I know the weighting balance between the $ and company image.

But then the Mgt doesn't wan to spend few hundred to get a pro to do it. But yet wanted some un-pros ppl like me to do the shooting .. they thot that IT guy can do wonders except rising the dead. :angry:

Ok I guess is my skill problem.

I recheck the AP and setting of my camera.

Focal Length 8mm
F/2.8
Exp. 1/45 sec.
ISO-200

The pic taken is fine.. normal exposure

But if I let it take auto. ..

Focal Length 8mm
F/2.8
Exp. 1/20 sec.
ISO-200

Do you think this is the problem lies ?
Digital Zoom are off.

Using Single Shot.
Fine picture mode.

But then the Mgt doesn't wan to spend few hundred to get a pro to do it. But yet wanted some un-pros ppl like me to do the shooting .. they thot that IT guy can do wonders except rising the dead. :angry:
actually, i think that you're wrong there... they do expect the IT department to be able to raise the dead upon special request. :bsmilie:

if i were you, i'd just draw up the budget required for sereval consumer entry models, e.g. sony alpha kit, canon 400D kit, nikon D80 kit, etc. pls also remember to include price of other nec equipment, e.g. flash, memory cards, drybox... optional items which might / might not help get a better pic include higher grade lenses, tripod (plus ballhead), additional strobes, photo editing software...

okay, the options part was a bit of a cheapshot, but i'd say to draw out the budget for such a purchase and let them decide if they want a to buy or hire a pro. hey, if they decide to buy... you get a free new toy on the coy!!

but i'd go with what catchlight said, but understand that it's not your call...

actually, i think that you're wrong there... they do expect the IT department to be able to raise the dead upon special request. :bsmilie:

if i were you, i'd just draw up the budget required for sereval consumer entry models, e.g. sony alpha kit, canon 400D kit, nikon D80 kit, etc. pls also remember to include price of other nec equipment, e.g. flash, memory cards, drybox... optional items which might / might not help get a better pic include higher grade lenses, tripod (plus ballhead), additional strobes, photo editing software...

okay, the options part was a bit of a cheapshot, but i'd say to draw out the budget for such a purchase and let them decide if they want a to buy or hire a pro. hey, if they decide to buy... you get a free new toy on the coy!!

but i'd go with what catchlight said, but understand that it's not your call...

cannot lah .. dead means dead .. how can soap water mainboard be use again. Agree ?

They only expect but we draw the line of NOWAY.

Budget already given from 1k and I ask for 3k.

They wanted to buy a good DSLR and no need to pay $ to the pros. .. and no need to add extra $ to increase my workscope wat.

how come dun have crying emotion

how come dun have crying emotion

:cry:

Just get the budget (full) and let the management decide.
take lousy shots then say you need to go for photography course

must buy

1. camera
2. lens
3. tripod
4. flash
5. dry cabi
6. cleaning kit
7. bag

remember to say that these are not pro quality equipment so cannot expect to get pro quality images

I think your best bet is probably a d50+18-55 kit+SB600. Shouldn't be too far out. Honestly though, I believe if you posted a photographer wanted ad on the services wanted subforum, you'd get some really cheap ones. You can't stop them. There are people here that are even willing to shoot for kopi and transport. Your boss can't be that cheap right?

Sure you'll get flamed in the subforum, but ultimately, as far as I've noticed, people always get someone. I hate recommending this, but if you've browsed that section, it's very much a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.