URGENT! F40fd vs F50fd

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliew

Mar 12, 2007
Choosing between F40fd and F50fd, price difference around 100 bucks. But discussions on F50fd IQ and battery life leave much to be desired, despite its many new features. :think: Personally I also prefer the gunmetallic color and form of F40fd. Any quick advice will be appreciate, as I need to make a decision today. Thks!

Choosing between F40fd and F50fd, price difference around 100 bucks. But discussions on F50fd IQ and battery life leave much to be desired, despite its many new features. :think: Personally I also prefer the gunmetallic color and form of F40fd. Any quick advice will be appreciate, as I need to make a decision today. Thks!

www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com
Best places for comparison.

Don't think battery life is a problem if you're not going to shoot tremendous amount of photos.

Well, it is important if you are on a trip and don't have access to power points all the time. :)

Cheers!

Well, it is important if you are on a trip and don't have access to power points all the time. :)

Cheers!

Thenk you need to think of a cam that can use AA batteries as these are available anywhere.

Fuji S6500FD
Fuji S8000FD
Fuji S9600

Canon A640
Canon A630
Canon A550
Canon A560
Canon S3 IS
Canon S5 IS

Thenk you need to think of a cam that can use AA batteries as these are available anywhere.

form is impt to me .. these likely to be more bulky.

just with respect to these two cameras, if you want a simple fuss-free solution, i would suggest f40 fd as it probably handles noise better.However, i'm not sure how much the lack of IS will affect you.

reasons why you might want to get the f50 fd, it allows you a wee bit more room for creativity with shutter and aperture priority. Not forgetting that it has dual IS and also a long exposure mode that allows 8 seconds shutter speed as compared to 3 seconds on the f40fd.

So it's basically noise+features+more details vs less noise, that's the way i see it. so far shooting at low isos, i find that they're still manageable but i've sort of made a personal oath to not shoot at 800 or above. haven't tested 400 properly but 100 and 200 do seem acceptable to me personally.

btw, since you brought up only these 2 models, i assume you do know that you are limiting yourself to lithium ion batteries. and if you really have infrequent access to powerpoints, you'll just have to invest in more batteries.

So it's basically noise+features+more details vs less noise, that's the way i see it.

Thanks, this is by far the most usf reply I have gotten so far. The same conclusion I have after sieving through all those comments over at dpreview. But for a mere $100 diff - just not sure if I can live with the "lower end" camera.

It basically depends on your needs. In this case, form factor is impt. If you are worried about battery life, got a 2nd battery and an external charger and you can charge one and use the other. Once charging has completed, you can carry a spare.

well...don't think about it as a 'lower' end camera...i think most importantly you should aim to be satisfied with your buy. right now, if you forsee that this camera will really just be a to capture kodak moments then sure, get it. BUT if you think you might use the other functions, then only you will be the best judge as to whether the noise is acceptable to you.

So far it's ok for me, not ok also bo pian, camera buy liao:bsmilie:

So far it's ok for me, not ok also bo pian, camera buy liao:bsmilie:

ha! but for me .. got choice ... hence the pain :) but I think either one also ok lah (for my simple needs)

haha yeah...the pain of having to decide. a few weeks back also i was deciding between f31fd and f50fd...in the end i thought i'd choose details+features over noise. i took the plunge and decided that at the very most, i will shoot at max iso400. or if still damn jialat then 200.

F40 has no manual controls. F50 has manual, including IS plus a lot more. Downside of F50 at present seems to be IQ. Fuji is taking a hit from F30 / F31 purists. The F31fd is an icon - u cant go very wrong buying that camera, the "world" agrees with you. Even used, the F31fd fetches fantastic price here @ Clubsnap. F40 has less of a reputation compared to F31 / F50 so there is really not much to be said about it although some sites have actually given the F40 good reviews for sharp and good IQ despite it having no manual controls. If u buy the F50, be prepared to live with the reviews (good or bad) from established sites like dpreview when they review the camera thoroughly in the future. If you want to be safe, buy the F31fd. It is no easy decision as the F31 / F40 / F50 are all desirable in their own way. I have the F40fd by the way. Good Luck !

Hi,

Thanks for putting my web gallery here =p

Personally I found that this F50 is suite for most of occasions. I'm used to have DSLR, if I may compare the F50 with my oldies 300D I can say that the quality definitely DSLR win, but for ease to use F50 win, battery wise with 270 shoots for single charge + 2 GB memory is more than enough IMO depends on what and how itchy your finger is.
So far I love my F50, but I need to explore more, because it's really like a stranger to me for the time being.

anw, i upload more pics at my blog. Do them a visit :)

C&C + tips are warmly welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.