URGENT: Between Sony A330, Canon 1000D and Nikon D5000, which is better specs-wise?

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
Hi all.

I am going to buy a DSLR for a friend who's a complete newbie to DSLR photography and I need to choose between the Sony A330, Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000. I just need to know, specs-wise, which one is better? Since they are all almost around the same price, $600-700, I can buy any one of these 3.

It's kind of urgent since I'll go buy the DSLR tomorrow (Monday) or on Tuesday.

I will greatly appreciate a fast response from each one of you. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Wiz747
For a newbie Canon 1000 D with a 18-135 lens is a good choice, i think D 5000 is costlier than 1000 D, better buy him a 1000 D with a good lens, your friend will enjoy with this camera.

Thanks
alok

Your friend should really try holding these cameras to see which is comfiest. Specs are NOT everything.

That being said, the in-body SSS, focusing motor and full-speed AF in live view mode really speak for the A330.

i believe pentax k-x blows everyone else out of the market :)

Hi all.

I am going to buy a DSLR for a friend who's a complete newbie to DSLR photography and I need to choose between the Sony A330, Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000. I just need to know, specs-wise, which one is better? Since they are all almost around the same price, $600-700, I can buy any one of these 3.

My comparison of D3000 vs A330. Pls note that this is purely my own opinion.

Bracketing: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Its a great function for beginners. Unlike pros who can determind exposure correctly most of the time (but not always, sometimes they use bracketing too), beginners are very poor in judging exposure. As such the exposure bracketing will be a godsend function when they are in doubt of the correct exposure. D3000 lacks this function. A330 has it.

Live View: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Again, a great function for beginners. Pros who have used DSLR for donkey years will have no issue with using the OVF all the time. However for a newbie coming from a PnS, having a live view will be very good. Im not saying u have to use Live View all the time, but its good to use in alot of situations. And in certain positions, using live view will be more useful than using OVF. For example when taking Over the Head shots, there is absolutely no way u can use OVF. But u can still use the live view, especially since the A330 has a tiltable LCD screen.

Image Stabalisation: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
IS modes can reduce handshakes, compensating around 3 fstops of light. Thats good enough reason to have IS mode. The 3000D does not have IS build into their camera, thus you have to buy lenses which has IS build into it. But these lenses typically cost more than non IS lenses. The A330 comes with IS build into their camera, as such ALL lenses which they use becomes an IS lens. This is a major cost savings. Do you wanna pay extra money to buy IS for all your lenses?

In Body Auto Focus Motor: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
As the D3000 does not come with a build in AF motor, they can only use auto focus with AF-S and selected AF-I lenses. These lenses will thus cost more than similar lenses which do not require in lense AF motor. Besides cost, it also reduces the selection of lenses which the D3000 can use. Of cos you can still AF lenses which dont have in lense AF motor with your D3000, but they will only be usable in manual mode. If u buy an AF lens which cant AF with your camera, you are either insane, or u are too rich.

Wireless Flash Transmitter: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Sony DSLRs comes with a build in wireless flash transmitter. The Nikon D3000 does not have this build in, so you have to buy a wireless transmitter which cost an additional few hundred dollars.

The Sony A330 comes with build in AF motor, so you can be sure they can work on all AF lenses. And do note that Sony alphas can use ALL Konica Minolta AF lenses. As such in terms of lens selection, the A330 actually has more lenses to choose from. Thus the lack of in body auto focus motor actually makes it cost more money in the long run, and also lessen the choice of AF lenses selection.

So seeing all the facts above, its up to you to decide which camera is better.

PS: Adding Canon 1000D into the equation, i would choose the D3000 over the 1000D, due to 1000D's lack of spot metering mode, which I feel is pretty critical for me, but of cos this is subjective to different person's perspective. Some people probably wont ever use spot metering.

Again and Again.... Camera bodies in the same league are almost same. Don't be fool by the specs on paper or the MP number and all those novice killer. For normal people, there will be no visible output difference.

What makes the difference is the LENS. Buy any body that your friend is comfortable with, be color, be shape, be weight....... but make sure the camera body is supported by reasonable range of LENSES, ACCESSORIES at a reasonable price.

If you think differently then a Prosumer will be a better fit.

Hi
Nikon D3000 will be more towards to compare with the other 2. For beginners, the D3000 come with a Guide mode which is extremely useful for 1st time DSLR users. The only setback is that the D3000 does not have a 'live" mode, but once you get use to a DSLR, frankly you do not use the 'live" mode that much.
I have both the D3000 & D5000, picture quality are great, no complains..

Hope this helps..

RC

Look at the Pentax Kx as well.

1. On body shake reduction
2. On body lens drive motor
3. Spot metering
4. On camera HDR
5. Best JPEG high ISO noise performance (bettering even more expensive models)
6. Backwards compatibility to all K-mount lenses

If you only want the brands mentioned, the A330 or D5000 would be the better models from the 3.

Look at the Pentax Kx as well.

1. On body shake reduction
2. On body lens drive motor
3. Spot metering
4. On camera HDR
5. Best JPEG high ISO noise performance (bettering even more expensive models)
6. Backwards compatibility to all K-mount lenses

If you only want the brands mentioned, the A330 or D5000 would be the better models from the 3.

In terms of value, nothing beats Pentax K-x now.

That said, it really comes down to the needs, preferences and shooting style of the end user. Some people will buy a DSLR, a kit lens, and a simple telezoom and will be happily using the camera till it dies. Some will be happy with a DSLR, a 18-200(or 250) and will never ever have any need for another lens ever.

It all comes what your friend is looking for, the interface he/she likes, how he/she intends to use the camera and his/her shooting style.

There is no right answer which is better.

I would suggest your friend to go down to the shop and test out all the camera that you have listed. See which one he/she like best and thats it. IQ is almost the same for all the cameras listed by you, it all boils down to what your friend wanted and how he/she shoot the camera.

Also it would boils down to cost and the number of accessories and lens that that camera have. Anyway, for all major brand of cameras, the accessories and lens should be almost the same, unless your friend looked at the m4/3, Samsung and Sony NE3 or 5, then there might be a lacking in terms of lens available.

Hi all.

since you are already using a canon system, buy her a 1000d, then you can lend her ur lenses and give her pointers in using the canon system too.

i vote for nikon/kx in that case....

an ex user of 1000D
good for entry level ! :thumbsup:

Since they are all almost around the same price, $600-700, I can buy any one of these 3.

I am afraid the D5000 is not in the price range of $600-700. It costs about a $1000.

Anyway, although the Nikon D5000 has all the diagram and stuffs saying it's too dark or whatsoever, I find the design rather weird, it doesn't have a direct ISO button control, you have to go through the menu which I find very troublesome.

The 'common sense' here is that, since you are using Canon, why don't you get her a Canon too?

Last edited:
I agree with the posts earlier. Since you're using canon, getting her a canon will allow you to share equipment and knowledge.

Quality wise, all 3 are similar. But personally, I would recommend the 1000D or A330.

If you take D3000, i suggest you to pay a $100-$200 more for D5000.
Or else take D1000. You can share lens.
Not suggest for A330 for long terms.