Not open for further replies.

kahheng

Jan 20, 2002
bride.ru
Just passing this along................. :blah:

http://www.ura.gov.sg/cudd/shaping_spore/my_city/index.html

============= blurb ==================

Theme: “My City”

Singapore has evolved from a congested and slum-ridden, city to a modern metropolis that has not forgotten its past, despite its relatively short history.

Today, Singapore boasts a unique CBD skyline, a clean Singapore River with bustling life on its banks, and revitalised historic districts in Chinatown, Little India and Kampong Glam. Our city streets are pleasant, with manicured sidewalks, shady trees, works of art, and enlivened with al fresco life. These are things that mean different things to different people.

What does it mean to you? Where is your favourite place in the city? Could it be the Palm Valley at the Botanic Gardens, the fountain at Bugis Junction, or your living room?

Capture the essence of these spaces through your lens and share it with us. It could be the Singapore River, Orchard Road, Bras Basah-Bugis, the CBD, the Civic District, the historic areas or even your own home.

In November, URA will be holding an exhibition on Singapore’s history of city planning and urban design in which photographs of the city today will be exhibited. Here’s your opportunity to share with other Singaporeans and the rest of the world where your heart lies in the city.

Prizes

First prize: S$2,000

Second prize: S$1,000

Third prize: S$500

3 merit mentions: S$200 each

Submit your entries by 12 noon, 1 September 2004
The closing date is extended to 12 noon, 24 September 2004.

=========== end blurb ===================

The contest form and rules and regulations can be downloaded from this URL

http://www.ura.gov.sg/cudd/shaping_spore/my_city/index.html

By entering this competition, each participant accepts and agrees that URA shall be granted, without the need for payment of fees or royalties, a non-exclusive and perpetual right and licence to use, reproduce, modify and prepare derivative works of all shortlisted / exhibited photographs submitted as entries by the participant for whatever purpose as may be deemed fit by URA without making any reference to or acknowledgement of the participant or this competition. For the avoidance of doubt, such right and license granted to URA shall include the right to publish, display, reproduce or otherwise publicise or communicate all shortlisted / exhibited photographs submitted as entries for any exhibition or publication (irrespective of whether or not URA shall profit from such exhibition or publication).

the above taken from the rules is a bit disturbing, not only do you give them rights to use but also to profit from your photos???

one way of getting photos cheaply without commissioning a photog to do it.

As usual, another cheap way of getting free photos.... I think the goverment should do something about copyright. Maybe we should write a email to our PM. To stop this trend. :think:

Let's see. They pay in all minimum $4100 + costs of exhibition. but they get a whole bunch of pictures for their later usage and still make money out of it.

Just dont like that part about not acknowledging or referencing the original author. Talk about copyright.

guys, why so negative about all that.

2k may not be worth your time and effort. but i guess there are many others out there who will be interested in it.... people who have not won any competition before , newbies, me..etc ;)

anyway, are most competition like this too?

bigfatfish said:
guys, why so negative about all that.

2k may not be worth your time and effort. but i guess there are many others out there who will be interested in it.... people who have not won any competition before , newbies, me..etc ;)

anyway, are most competition like this too?

I think the issue here is not the 2k, but the fact of losing the copyright of the photographer, WITHOUT acknowledgment..... URA reserve the right to use your photograph and WILL NOT GIVE YOU the acknowledgment should they use it in their advertisment etc etc, even if you DO NOT win anything and you ARE NOT allow to complain, NO ONE will know you took the Photograph ......

we should all send in pictures of Stanford Library to remind them of the loss of a precious collective memory ... it used to be the favourite hangout of so many Singaporeans anyway (...and they are partially responsible for the demolishing of Stanford Library :bheart: )

Did someone suggest to the cut-waste panel to use photo competition to get "free" photos?

bigfatfish: the issue here is that you can send in your best photo that you've taken in your life so far, hoping like hell you'll win something. URA can shortlist your photo but eventually decide nah doesn't deserve a prize. later URA can use your photo for their own use including use which earns them profit from your photo, and give you zero credit, NO ONE will know you shot that photo. isn't this a big concern? the diff with other competitions is that this is the first time that I have seen the organizers trying to get the rights to earn profit off submissions. most other comps at least give credit to the photog too. I"m disgusted that its URA and not some private company.

hoppinghippo said:
bigfatfish: the issue here is that you can send in your best photo that you've taken in your life so far, hoping like hell you'll win something. URA can shortlist your photo but eventually decide nah doesn't deserve a prize. later URA can use your photo for their own use including use which earns them profit from your photo, and give you zero credit, NO ONE will know you shot that photo. isn't this a big concern? the diff with other competitions is that this is the first time that I have seen the organizers trying to get the rights to earn profit off submissions. most other comps at least give credit to the photog too. I"m disgusted that its URA and not some private company.

:eek: OH, now i understand. so its not even the winners whose copyright can be bought over, but also the participants who arent awarded.thanks for the clarification.

now i understand what the digust is all about.

I think we should collectively rite in to voice our concerns.......

rueyloon said:
I think we should collectively rite in to voice our concerns.......
I'm in for such action. We should voice out our concern to the right authority about such act! :cool:

And what makes you all so sure the 'winners' aren't pre-selected and one of their own ? ;)

hoppinghippo said:
By entering this competition, each participant accepts and agrees that URA shall be granted, without the need for payment of fees or royalties, a non-exclusive and perpetual right and licence to use, reproduce, modify and prepare derivative works of all shortlisted / exhibited photographs submitted as entries by the participant for whatever purpose as may be deemed fit by URA without making any reference to or acknowledgement of the participant or this competition. For the avoidance of doubt, such right and license granted to URA shall include the right to publish, display, reproduce or otherwise publicise or communicate all shortlisted / exhibited photographs submitted as entries for any exhibition or publication (irrespective of whether or not URA shall profit from such exhibition or publication).

the above taken from the rules is a bit disturbing, not only do you give them rights to use but also to profit from your photos???

I am definitely ok if I do not get paid, even if they profit from it....I can take it as National Service, especially if they can use the picture to proudly show off Singapore.

WHAT I CANNOT ACCEPT IS THAT THEY CAN USE IT WITHOUT GIVING PROPER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT/CREDIT TO THE PHOTOGRAPHER. THIS IS NOT IN LINE WITH THE GOVERNMENT WANTING TO PROMOTE ARTS AND CREATIVITY.

Agree, this is very sad, coming from an organisation dominated by architects whom should know better

Status
Not open for further replies.