Upto what shutter speed can I take shakefree handheld pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafique

Sep 10, 2002
Singapore
geocities.com
People,
I would like to know...upto what speed can i take handheld pics. Sometimes I hear comments like.."shutter speed to slow..did you use a tripod".
May I please know approximately what is the threshold for shakefree handheld pics and after what limit should I consider using a tri/mono-pod.
Thank you.

Your shutter speed must not fall below( 1/focal length of lens in use) seconds.

just a rough guide.....better to use a tripod(a study one ofcourse)

and whether to use a tripod also depends on your subject.

regards

hondacub

1/60 s........but for me i can go up to 1/8 with support from a wall or something i can lean on.......handheld else......1/15 s......

The 1/focal length rule is just a guideline. Your mileage may vary.

Other factors will include:

- the weight of your equipment (some say the heavier it is, the steadier it will be, but that also has its limits)

- the ergonomics of your equipment (the better and more comfortable you can hold your camera, the more steady you can keep it)

- your heartbeat and breathing rate, as well as your mental state (tired?stressed?panting?)

- the way you press the shuttle release button

- The moment you release the shutter relative to your heart beat (releasing shutter in-between your heart beats will help reduce camera shake cause by blood rushing through your arms)

- your posture

- where you are standing (the rule does not apply if you are standing on a sampan floating along Singapore river and you try to take a night shot of the shophouses along the river bank):D

- your expectation of how sharp your pictures should be

So, you should know your own limits and capabilities. If someone tells you he can shoot down to 1/30 sec at 200mm handheld doesn't mean that that will be your limits.

My advice is to try it out for yourself. No one can tell you what is your own limits.

Roy: you forgot 1 thing... if your lens have IS. hehe.

IS can help you handheld 1-2stops more than normal.

If you using , 50mm and shoot a subject. The slowest you can handheld ( advisable ) is 1/50 but if you got IS, you probably can do 1/20 or somewhere there..

P.S: 50mm got no IS, dun go around asking. heh.

Just an opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Originally posted by Klause
Roy: you forgot 1 thing... if your lens have IS. hehe.

You are right :embrass: . I overlooked that because I do not have a single piece of IS or VR gear.:(

There has already been some big "discussions" on the effectiveness and applicability of IS/VR in a few other threads, so lest not get into any more details here. Enough to say that it will generally enable a slower possible hand-held speed, but should not be taken beyond what it is intended for.

What I really want to emphasize here is that the 1/focal length formular is not a rule, but a just a guide, and there are many other factors that will skew each person's hand-held speed capabilities.

Yeah true. Btw.. I also no IS gear. Heh... you are not alone.

It is possible that whether or not you have a Marksmanship award from SAF will also determine if you will be able to shoot at lower than average hand-held speeds. Just a thought...;)

Originally posted by roygoh
The 1/focal length rule is just a guideline. Your mileage may vary.

Other factors will include:

- the weight of your equipment (some say the heavier it is, the steadier it will be, but that also has its limits)

- the ergonomics of your equipment (the better and more comfortable you can hold your camera, the more steady you can keep it)

- your heartbeat and breathing rate, as well as your mental state (tired?stressed?panting?)

- the way you press the shuttle release button

- The moment you release the shutter relative to your heart beat (releasing shutter in-between your heart beats will help reduce camera shake cause by blood rushing through your arms)

- your posture

- where you are standing (the rule does not apply if you are standing on a sampan floating along Singapore river and you try to take a night shot of the shophouses along the river bank):D

- your expectation of how sharp your pictures should be

So, you should know your own limits and capabilities. If someone tells you he can shoot down to 1/30 sec at 200mm handheld doesn't mean that that will be your limits.

My advice is to try it out for yourself. No one can tell you what is your own limits.

Roy,
Thank you for your generous feedback.

Cheers,

Originally posted by hondacub
Your shutter speed must not fall below( 1/focal length of lens in use) seconds.

just a rough guide.....better to use a tripod(a study one ofcourse)

and whether to use a tripod also depends on your subject.

regards

hondacub

Thank you guys, thanks hondacub, Kluase, Roti, TweakMax and Roy for your replies.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.