Upset over what some photographers do for a good picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the zoo on Sat with my nephews, the weather was good, we have lots of fun...

But I saw something that is very distrubing and I wanted to share my views and plea that fellow photographers don't follow what these guys did...

This is what happened:-

I was passing by the raccoon habitat and there is a crowd as usual. These raccoons are very interactive, getting the attension of everybody and always trying to ask for food.

I think it is common knowledge that we are not to feed the animals in the zoo. But what I saw happened was, while 1 photographer positioned himself for the shot, his friend is feeding the raccoons with assorted peanuts and crackers.

This is not the proper behaviour for nature photography... there were children around them and they started thowing food at the raccoons following after these photographers' irresponsible behaviour.

Pitch your skills in capturing nature, but pls don't do it at the expense of them, just so that you can get the perfect picture you wanted... worst when you mislead young children into it.

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: for those photographers no matter how well their photos turn out.

i saw something very similar... there was this father and son who wanted to take pictures with the raccoons and they were throwing bread to the raccoons to position them closer to them....
I was very very tempted to scold the both of them and glared at them but they seemed nonchalent about it....
Quite disgusted with the behaviour as well.... *shake head* ;(

The few photographers I saw are not some father & child team (sometimes we do close 1 eye for this kind of senario) but they are some experienced photograhpers with L lenses etc... maybe my expectation of experienced photographers are too high (or L lenses doesn't equal experienced)... but such behaviour should not happen at all...

Maybe should take pictures of in-considerate photographers and titled the album "The Ugly Side of Photography"

Anyway, like in all hobby, there are black sheeps.
Like anglers who dirty the jetty with their left-over baits and such..etc
Bird-watchers who bring snacks and bottled waters to watch birds and ended up littering the place with their snacks and empty bottles...etc

I am more concerned with the racoons getting ill from the stuff they feed them rather than the litter caused by the food.

Winston said:
Maybe should take pictures of in-considerate photographers and titled the album "The Ugly Side of Photography"

Yes...i like this idea. :thumbsup:
sometime this kind of people really make me vomit blood! they are not those 'hokkien peng' which dunnu how to read......some are very educated.....with big big DSLR coupled with big big lens and english words 'pily pala' out from their mouth.....and they just can read signs that tell them what not to do. :thumbsd:

Nothing new to me.
Yes, to Winston's idea. But do so quietly. Just don't be surprised when you find out who they may be.....

jesser said:
Yes...i like this idea. :thumbsup:
sometime this kind of people really make me vomit blood! they are not those 'hokkien peng' which dunnu how to read......some are very educated.....with big big DSLR coupled with big big lens and english words 'pily pala' out from their mouth.....and they just can read signs that tell them what not to do. :thumbsd:

Big lense do not equal to nature photographers, anyone with enough $$$ can buy them. These ppl are just idiots posing as nature phoptographers trying to take some shots by whatever means to justify for their $ spent on their equipment. They often give nature pohotgraphers a bad name. Anyway, I would just tell them off, if I do come across these ppl.

Do u know that I have heard of some so called 'nature' photographers freezing or poisoning their subjects (bugs) in order to do a so called perfect shot. I wish that they would stop their nonsense and give all organisms a break. :cry:

next time if anyone see these kinda pple, quietly go and alert the nearest zookeeper you can find and let the keepers deal with them...

Xpose said:
next time if anyone see these kinda pple, quietly go and alert the nearest zookeeper you can find and let the keepers deal with them...

before u do tat, take their pix first

face your flash in their direction, and fire continuously, blinding them. :devil:

What to do? :( Some ppl are not aware of the consequences of feeding the animals, worse is some of 'em just plain irresponsible & dun respect nature at all... ;(

I was there a couple of times taking racoons shots...Those ppl took away all their attention, tats why if u notice in my gallery, the racoon shots are all side view, coz they're more attracted to the food rather than my lousy camera :mad2:

There was once some teenagers (chao ah beng style) threw cigarette, and those poor lil' thing actually swallowed the thing... ;( :cry:

had a similar experience at the zoo too.

this was at the butterfly enclosure...near the exit of the trail. 3 fotogs, armed with monopods and telephoto/macro lenses were trying various methods to get the butterflies to keep still for their shot. they drag the branches towards them....bend the foliage all over e place to make sure their composition is good..pinch the butterfly's wings...

was totally disgusted with their actions. and those fotogs were not even young people but middle aged "uncles" (no offence here!)

as one fellow clubsnapper said....we shld jus take their picture next time n post it here. embarass e hell outta them.

but then, dat wld mean wasting one shot of celluloid...especially for us non-digital users here. ;p

"There was once some teenagers (chao ah beng style) threw cigarette, and those poor lil' thing actually swallowed the thing... "

:faint: :eek:

Goodness me, cigarette butts!!! That's nasty! :nono:

chngpe01 said:
Big lense do not equal to nature photographers, anyone with enough $$$ can buy them. These ppl are just idiots posing as nature phoptographers trying to take some shots by whatever means to justify for their $ spent on their equipment. They often give nature pohotgraphers a bad name. Anyway, I would just tell them off, if I do come across these ppl.

I guess there might be really some idiots posing as nature photographers using such unethical methods to take those 'dream' shots. But I have came across so called 'experienced' nature photographers going all out to get their 'dream' shots without regards to the well being of the subjects concern.

This not only happened in Zoo. I would like to suggest that if this happened in the Zoo, one should report the matter to the Zoo Keeper and ensure immediate action is taken. Individual telling them off is a no go as far as I had came across. :nono:

As for those so called 'nature photographers', it is good to keep in mind that the well being of the subjects should be the utmost important consideration in the process of getting that ideal shots. Nature lovers should work together to minimise such threats to the survival of these helpless creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.