Upset at Bedok Resevoir (Please Read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moruzawa

Jun 2, 2008
So my company was engaged by a client to be the official photographer for a malay wedding at Bedok Resevoir.. My boss then gave me the two day assignment and I gladly accepted it.

So yesterday, I came down to the bride's side, introduced myself and my wife(Cam 2) as their photographers and went down for some refreshments since she wasn't ready yet. Then out of the blue, another guy came to the house, introduced himself as the bride's friend and whipped out his equipment and started to set up his gear. I was using a Nikon D90 with batt grip and a Tamron 17-50mm and he was using like D700 or something. He then proceeded to show off his gear and started to take test shots.

I have met other photographers on the job who were more amiable and were more respectful towards photographer in the official Cam 1 position.

Then he asked me, "You guys helping out to take pictures is it?"

I then informed him that we were engaged by the bride to be the official photographer for the wedding. So me and my wife went up to the bride's room and started to take journalistic shots of her getting ready. He followed us up and he actually told the bride to follow only his instructions.

At this point he started being an jerk and was smirking at the pictures I took, at the poses I told the bride to be in. And not only that, he also told me to get out of his way as he was shooting.

Malay weddings as you all know are more focused on the template shots, on the practice of the traditions such as the solemnization, the "tepung tawar", etc etc. So during these periods I have to be in a very good position as to be able to capture these critical moments. The last thing I would need during these moments are actually another photographer's flash overwriting my own, and the red sensor beam on the couple's face. Which was what happened yesterday. Not only that, he also rapped my shoulder and told me to move out of his line of fire. I was like, dude, i'm the cam 1. I have to stand where I am now so I can get the best shots for my client!

So at this point my operations manager and creative director came down to the wedding, and after they saw how aggressive this guy was, they told him off.

To which he replied, "Eh, I'm a professional, I have done malay weddings before."

Professional? I think not, he came down to the solemnization wearing shorts.

What would your opinions be on dealing with this kind of people?

Today would be the 2nd day of the wedding and I have to face this ass alone, wish me luck.

Last edited:
Simple... talk to the couple. Remind them who is the official photographer and if he cocks up the whole thing... that's their perogative.

Let them sort out that arrogant fella....

Ah .. another "pro" on the action. seem like its getting more and more happening now a days. Zac08's recommendation is the best. Talk to the bride and tell her the situation. if she is okie with it, then don't blame you for the bad picture output. Never less, you are not in the wrong nor anything to loose. Its the couple who will be in the loosing end if the picture turn out to be a complete mess.

sad.. so u are engaged by the client (u mean a company sponsor the wedding and the sponsor ask u to cover the whole wedding?) and that jerk is by the bride's friend..

think u better vie with that fellow to get the best shots, and do the talking later.. the ceremony don't wait for you..

good day..

rushing to get whatever shots that the official photographer had to have. professional, much?

i foresee more of this anyways, it's always been either we have to deal with the younger generation photographers with higher end gears or those oldschool photographers with their hasselblads and vintage malay art direction.

i've had my share of dealing with that middle-aged uncle photographer who was actually just the uncle of the groom. he picked a fight with me at that wedding on 21st march 09 @ bedok north that i told you about. so this is just YOUR fair share :sweatsm:

sad.. so u are engaged by the client (u mean a company sponsor the wedding and the sponsor ask u to cover the whole wedding?) and that jerk is by the bride's friend..

think u better vie with that fellow to get the best shots, and do the talking later.. the ceremony don't wait for you..

good day..

the client is the bride & groom, and they engaged the company which we am working for.

Edit: this is the wife of moruzawa btw. :D

Last edited:
"Bride's friend"

What I don't understand is, WTF is the bride thinking. If she hired a professional, why bothered to ask her friend to also shoot.

just keep letting all the guests know the couple hire your company, you and your wife are the official photographers, please follow your instructions.

let the couple know you have responsible for getting the good shots.

ignore this person.

Think in future... all "official" wedding photographers must don an "OFFICIAL" pass so that everyone knows where to smile at during the shoot. ;p

Joke aside... but I do feel that the engaging party should be informed of this problem... just in case later when they got the pictures... they complained of the works... u explained... n the only thing u can expect is the bride saying... "WHY DON'T U TELL ME EARLIER??? U SHOULD HAVE TOLD US WHEN THIS PROBLEM OCCURS!" :dunno:

Ah .. another "pro" on the action. seem like its getting more and more happening now a days. Zac08's recommendation is the best. Talk to the bride and tell her the situation. if she is okie with it, then don't blame you for the bad picture output. Never less, you are not in the wrong nor anything to loose. Its the couple who will be in the loosing end if the picture turn out to be a complete mess.
:thumbsup:

Think in future... all "official" wedding photographers must don an "OFFICIAL" pass so that everyone knows where to smile at during the shoot. ;p

Joke aside... but I do feel that the engaging party should be informed of this problem... just in case later when they got the pictures... they complained of the works... u explained... n the only thing u can expect is the bride saying... "WHY DON'T U TELL ME EARLIER??? U SHOULD HAVE TOLD US WHEN THIS PROBLEM OCCURS!" :dunno:

Bro .... you suddenly POP out. :sweat:

I would encourage people follow oversea practice....always carry an OFFICIAL Badge around for every assignments. :)

I even see an well organised photography team wearing shirt with Official Photographer printed on. It is easy to identify who is who. They are the ones who are given the most respect. :thumbsup:

I would encourage people follow oversea practice....always carry an OFFICIAL Badge around for every assignments. :)

I even see an well organised photography team wearing shirt with Official Photographer printed on. It is easy to identify who is who. They are the ones who are given the most respect. :thumbsup:

Hmm... reminds me of Tommy Boyz... :think:

True... It would be a good practice to don an official photography team shirt during such assignments... Just hope those "Self-Claimed" Pro wont be doing the same thing too. :sweat:

all the best bro! remember to inform the bride and groom about ur problem. hopefully they can do something abt it.

Even for weddings?

before taking the assignment , should made known to the client that u have the precedence over photographers that they've unknowingly invited; else you have the choice to walk off with full payment from the client. even better, put that down in writing...

save you guys from all these misery...

show us the so call "PRO" picture.
need to see how "PRO" he look like..:thumbsd::thumbsd:

So my company was engaged by a client to be the official photographer for a malay wedding at Bedok Resevoir.. My boss then gave me the two day assignment and I gladly accepted it.

So yesterday, I came down to the bride's side, introduced myself and my wife(Cam 2) as their photographers and went down for some refreshments since she wasn't ready yet. Then out of the blue, another guy came to the house, introduced himself as the bride's friend and whipped out his equipment and started to set up his gear. I was using a Nikon D90 with batt grip and a Tamron 17-50mm and he was using like D700 or something. He then proceeded to show off his gear and started to take test shots.

I have met other photographers on the job who were more amiable and were more respectful towards photographer in the official Cam 1 position.

Then he asked me, "You guys helping out to take pictures is it?"

I then informed him that we were engaged by the bride to be the official photographer for the wedding. So me and my wife went up to the bride's room and started to take journalistic shots of her getting ready. He followed us up and he actually told the bride to follow only his instructions.

At this point he started being an jerk and was smirking at the pictures I took, at the poses I told the bride to be in. And not only that, he also told me to get out of his way as he was shooting.

Malay weddings as you all know are more focused on the template shots, on the practice of the traditions such as the solemnization, the "tepung tawar", etc etc. So during these periods I have to be in a very good position as to be able to capture these critical moments. The last thing I would need during these moments are actually another photographer's flash overwriting my own, and the red sensor beam on the couple's face. Which was what happened yesterday. Not only that, he also rapped my shoulder and told me to move out of his line of fire. I was like, dude, i'm the cam 1. I have to stand where I am now so I can get the best shots for my client!

So at this point my operations manager and creative director came down to the wedding, and after they saw how aggressive this guy was, they told him off.

To which he replied, "Eh, I'm a professional, I have done malay weddings before."

Professional? I think not, he came down to the solemnization wearing shorts.

What would your opinions be on dealing with this kind of people?

Today would be the 2nd day of the wedding and I have to face this ass alone, wish me luck.

Brother,
Let the couple know and ask them to talk to their "friend". While that is happening, a small flash unit with optical slave attached facing backwards from you will make sure that anyone behind you gets flared out. We used to do that years ago to foil "Pro" guests at weddings. Were using hammerhead flashes then though, so don't know what you can do nowadays to attach the flash.
But seriously, such guests are real asses and you should not confront him yourself. Let the bride and groom handle it.

d700, what a piece of show-off...as far as i know, no one goes to a wedding wearing shorts, that form of respect is lost when a photographer doesn't wear properly for the nature of the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.