upscaling camera

bayusuputra

Sep 24, 2009
SG_ID
www.flickr.com
hi, recently i saw an ad in the BnS section that says camera upgradeable to 10MP (from ori. 5.5MP)

how is it done? can it be done for any cam?
if yes, will it affect the electronics in any way negative? TIA!

cheers!

hi, recently i saw an ad in the BnS section that says camera upgradeable to 10MP (from ori. 5.5MP)

how is it done? can it be done for any cam?
if yes, will it affect the electronics in any way negative? TIA!

cheers!

I am interested to find out too.
Post the link to that ad here.

Really?? Never heard of it before... :dunno:

Actually now that i think of it, there is.

Medium format cameras with digital backs. You can change the digital back to a high MP one. But not 10MP la. Nowadays, digital backs for MF is around 60MP (good ones la).

Actually now that i think of it, there is.

Medium format cameras with digital backs. You can change the digital back to a high MP one. But not 10MP la. Nowadays, digital backs for MF is around 60MP (good ones la).

Ic... and I thought it's dslr... I am not an expert in MF... so can't comment much. :sweat:

It is using interpolation to get a 10MP picture.

It is the same with the old Fuji S7000 as well as the Fuji S2 pro I had. It really a 6MP sensor but with 2 diodes for each pixel, one to capture the highlights, one to capture the lowlights. But with interpolation, it is capable of producing an image the size of a 12MP image. It is not the same as having a 12MP sensor. But they were quite good cameras and I have produced very good pictures with both cameras back then.

Here is the review for the old Fuji S2 pro.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis2pro/

Here is the review for the old Fuji S7000.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/

Last edited:
after reading some articles in google, i am still a little confused about the interpolating concept.. is the concept like digital zooming? or rather the pixels adjust to the pixels surround them to produce a larger count of pixels? or am i getting it all wrong?

if the concept of pixels trying to adjust to surrounding pixels correct, will there be significant loss of image quality? cus what i read is that it is negligible (i.e. u can't really tell)

sorry for asking a lot of questions, but this is something really new to me and i am very curious about it.. TIA

after reading some articles in google, i am still a little confused about the interpolating concept.. is the concept like digital zooming? or rather the pixels adjust to the pixels surround them to produce a larger count of pixels? or am i getting it all wrong?

if the concept of pixels trying to adjust to surrounding pixels correct, will there be significant loss of image quality? cus what i read is that it is negligible (i.e. u can't really tell)

sorry for asking a lot of questions, but this is something really new to me and i am very curious about it.. TIA

If you are interpolating too much, of course there is a significant loss of IQ. If you are interpolating to double the MP count, 1 pixel to 2 pixel, it is quite doable. There is definitely some loss of IQ but just not visible to the naked eye.

This is also the technique software like Genuine Fractals use, to blow pictures up bigger. Check out http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=7

Last edited: