Uprising of free labour. Time to step UP against it!

Uprising of people shooting for free. Do you think its spoiling the industry ?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennyong

Senior Member
May 2, 2004
5,587
0
0
Singapore
#1
recently there seems to be alot of freeloaders coming into CS to ask for FREE photographers to work for them and to use these works as their portfolio.

and they will be "paid" by giving them free lunch and drinks and prolly food/transport allowance.

this is spoilling the industry.

i now strongly dis-encourage pple to work for free. its outrageous. i really hope someone steps forward and make these people wake up their ideas...

i believe theres alot out there who share similar views.
 

hanqiang1011

Senior Member
Jan 22, 2005
2,553
0
0
Tiny Red Dot...
www.blitzwerkz.com
#2
glennyong said:
recently there seems to be alot of freeloaders coming into CS to ask for FREE photographers to work for them and to use these works as their portfolio.

and they will be "paid" by giving them free lunch and drinks and prolly food/transport allowance.

this is spoilling the industry.

i now strongly dis-encourage pple to work for free. its outrageous. i really hope someone steps forward and make these people wake up their ideas...

i believe theres alot out there who share similar views.
Hi there,

I am one of those who share your ideas. But if you are new to this line, a lunch and transport claim is ok, provided the sum given is not pitifully low. But most of all, must check with these outrageous threadstarter who credit will the photo go to, allowances given or not first.

Upz these thread for you Mr glennyong...

I strongly encourage fellow photographers, both newbies and pros, to come here to express your views.

Regards
 

glennyong

Senior Member
May 2, 2004
5,587
0
0
Singapore
#4
yanyewkay said:
So how much do you charge glennyong?
well... at least i CHARGE $ for every hour.....

but thats not the main issue on how much i charge. because its a totally different issue here. ;)
 

synapseman

Senior Member
May 6, 2003
2,196
0
0
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
#5
I think this is quite related to the other thread, something about people coming to CS to source for cheap photographers.

I tend to ignore all such requests. But then again, photography isn't my ricebowl and I'm not desperate for jobs/exposure. Maybe if I were a struggling photographer, I'd consider any means to get myself noticed?

But still, I also agree that there are many "chao-kuan" people out there who will take advantage of others any way they can.:thumbsd:
 

seanlim

New Member
Oct 28, 2005
943
0
0
NEL
#7
Actually i dont think photographers who shoots for free are spoiling the industry
I feel that is the people who ask photographers who shoot for free to shoot for free that spoils the industry:)
 

glennyong

Senior Member
May 2, 2004
5,587
0
0
Singapore
#8
seanlim said:
Actually i dont think photographers who shoots for free are spoiling the industry
I feel that is the people who ask photographers who shoot for free to shoot for free that spoils the industry:)
both are equally damaging. theres a saying, when theres a demand, theres a supply.

problem is. people are willing to do it for free. so the idea which it is giving to the people out there is these there is a ready market for free photographers such as students or people who wanna "bulit up" their portfolio for free.

we influence people from taking up free jobs so that the photograhy business for others will not get people saying such things like "sorry. i dunno who got it. but we suddenly have a FREE photographer who wants to bulit up his portfolio and can shoot for free"

its really bad. if its once. i can forgo it. but i am getting replies more and more often that people are willing to shoot for free... ;(
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#9
le's get the perspective right. it's not a problem of a market disturbed by free service providers. the issue here is the exploitation of unwary hobbyists, coupled with the s***** impression many people have thinking that they need to build some kind of a portfolio. (portfolio for who to see? for what? :what: )
 

dkw

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
1,051
0
0
CCK
Visit site
#10
Hi there,
I'm not really sure what you are polling, as the title is a little ambiguous. I do agree that the "freebie" mentality that many Singaporeans have is damaging to industry, and particular to areas like the creative arts, where the revenue generator is effectively ideas and intellectual property, things which are intangible and easily "stolen". There is no respect for IP in Singapore.

HOWEVER, I think that any attempt to try and impose some kind of minimum fee, or to ban photographers from doing free work, is doomed to failure. For one thing, it is anti-competitive; for another, the world is fast becoming one flat market place, and whilst the local pro-photogs may have some short term success in maintaining some kind of pricing equilibrium, it may soon be overtaken by cheaper alternatives from neighbouring or not-so-neighbouring countries. In a way, the profession of photography is fast becoming commoditised. The barriers to entry have now been significantly lowered, and even newbies, with the right equipment and some training and common sense, can do a "decent" job.

The way I see it, there isn't any exploitation at play, merely the free-market at work.....but I don't like it any more than you do.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#11
glennyong said:
well... at least i CHARGE $ for every hour.....

but thats not the main issue on how much i charge. because its a totally different issue here. ;)
why is it a different story? you got to set the standard for us to follow. I am one of those that gets paid a sumptious meal for a 2 hour event for a club in my alma mater. That's all I ask. Heck! I even ferry them to and fro venues and carry their equipment!
 

xray

New Member
Jul 28, 2004
662
0
0
Singapore
www.hachisu.com.sg
#12
I'd do it for free if it was a charity. And friends get will get my service almost free too. They pay for food.

Photography is my hobby, not a job, and I don't see why I should charge for my not-so-high-standards at all.

But if the job requires a professional to do it, I would recommend people to get a pro.
 

Dec 27, 2005
1,321
0
0
SG
www.zhang3feng.com
#14
when i was studying... we will get some job lobang once in a while as free lance.. b'coz these pple know we are student, the $$$ they give also lower.. but they still PAY!

i find that people who are jus starting or newbies building portfolio.. no matter how good or bad.. u shd at least charge a small sum of $$$ so that it will not spoil the market with the word "FREE"... it's not doing u any good too... :dunno:
 

Dec 11, 2005
332
0
16
#15
There are still many valid reasons one can shoot for free...
for charity, portfolio, exposures, trial shoot...etc...
but if one knows that people are using his photo to generate revenues and he is still shooting for free ( for portfolio, passion, interest or whatever reason), then I would say he is a real idiot and market spoiler...
Stick to the bottomline,
you shoot, he generate revenue, you get paid... PRO :thumbsup:
you shoot, he don't generate revenue, you don't get paid... CHARITY :thumbsup:
you shoot, he generate revenue, and you don't get paid.... IDIOT :thumbsd: :nono:
 

#17
projekts said:
Stick to the bottomline,
you shoot, he generate revenue, you get paid... PRO :thumbsup:
you shoot, he don't generate revenue, you don't get paid... CHARITY :thumbsup:
you shoot, he generate revenue, and you don't get paid.... IDIOT :thumbsd: :nono:


nicely put. :thumbsup:
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#18
projekts said:
There are still many valid reasons one can shoot for free...
for charity, portfolio, exposures, trial shoot...etc...
but if one knows that people are using his photo to generate revenues and he is still shooting for free ( for portfolio, passion, interest or whatever reason), then I would say he is a real idiot and market spoiler...
Stick to the bottomline,
you shoot, he generate revenue, you get paid... PRO :thumbsup:
you shoot, he don't generate revenue, you don't get paid... CHARITY :thumbsup:
you shoot, he generate revenue, and you don't get paid.... IDIOT :thumbsd: :nono:
so I belong in the charity all along..

what about
you shoot, he generate loss...? :dunno:
 

raptor84

Senior Member
Dec 6, 2005
4,726
1
38
Singapore
www.furry-photos.com
#19
My stand is with xray. I only shoot for free for animal welfare ogranisations since i get to use thier 'models' and it gives me practice. For me it is still a hobby that gives me the capability to capture the passion that I have for animals. Once i feel comfortable about charging for the photos then maybe I can start freelancing..
 

Dec 11, 2005
332
0
16
#20
yanyewkay said:
so I belong in the charity all along..

what about
you shoot, he generate loss...? :dunno:

you shoot, he generate loss... Must Stay Away from You :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom