uploading montages onto Youtube/Vimeo

DouglasLow

May 19, 2013
Singapore
hi guys, I've created a wedding montage for my friend and would like to upload it onto YouTube/Vimeo.

do I have to pay copyrights for the song that I am using? (its by a commercial artist/bannd).

I heard from a friend that there may be a 'blanket clearance' by YouTube to allow us to upload montages like this. Is it true?

advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I know that there are probably alot of qns on this topic already, but the reason i am asking is partly because i have a friend who is into videography who told me that i can upload my videos onto youtube eventhough i did not purchase the copyrights to the music/audio file. Just that my video would become Youtube's property and they can do whatever they want with it, in return, they pay for our copyrights.

Is that true?

I am also puzzled because, there are alot of individuals who sang the covers of other artist and never got into any trouble. So does it mean that my video will be safe too?

This is what I found on the YouTube rules page.

Is it possible to use a copyright-protected work without infringing?

In some circumstances, it is possible to use a copyright-protected work without infringing the owner’s copyright. For more about this, you may wish to learn about fair use. It is important to note that your video can still be affected by a claim of copyright infringement, even if you have...
Given credit to the copyright owner
Refrained from monetizing the infringing video
Noticed similar videos that appear on YouTube
Purchased the content on iTunes, a CD, or DVD
Recorded the content yourself from TV, a movie theater, or the radio
Stated that “no copyright infringement is intended”
Some content creators choose to make their work available for reuse with certain requirements. For more about this, you may wish to learn about the Creative Commons license.

Source: youtube.com/yt/copyright/what-is-copyright.html

This is what I found on the YouTube rules page.

Is it possible to use a copyright-protected work without infringing?

In some circumstances, it is possible to use a copyright-protected work without infringing the owner’s copyright. For more about this, you may wish to learn about fair use. It is important to note that your video can still be affected by a claim of copyright infringement, even if you have...
Given credit to the copyright owner
Refrained from monetizing the infringing video
Noticed similar videos that appear on YouTube
Purchased the content on iTunes, a CD, or DVD
Recorded the content yourself from TV, a movie theater, or the radio
Stated that “no copyright infringement is intended”
Some content creators choose to make their work available for reuse with certain requirements. For more about this, you may wish to learn about the Creative Commons license.

Source: youtube.com/yt/copyright/what-is-copyright.html

thanks for sharing~