Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinlimlx

Jan 2, 2008
Thinking of upgrading my current walk around kit lens 17-85 to either

24-105mm f4L USM IS ~$1400

OR

24-70 f2.8L USM ~$1750

which would be the better choice and worthy of value? Feel free to recommend if there's alternate upgrade i should consider~ thanks!

It all depends on what conditions you shoot most in. If you shoot often in dim conditions, the constant f/2.8 aperture of the EF 24-70L would be a better choice. The EF 24-105/4L IS undoubtedly has a versatile range for a walkabout lens in the day. However if working in dim conditions, a external flashgun might be required.

Do note that the 24-70 is a big and heavy lens. Add in the hood and it's not really a good walk around lens. 24-105 is lighter but due to the F4, not suitable for dim condition unless you are using external flash. For 1.6x crop cameras, the 17-55 IS is the best because of the F2.8, IS and the 17mm wide end. Good for landscape and walkaround. Get another 50mm or 85mm for portraits and you are all set. If and when you upgrade to FF, just sell and get the Ls.

Keep the 17-85 for wide angle.
If you shoot mainly street go for 24-105mm f4 L USM IS.
But if you do model shoot often get the 24-70mm f2.8 L USM.

Happy buying...;)

Prime for portraitures.
Which prime?
EF 85 F/1.2 L II...:)

Hi, guys! thanks for the reply! I'll go do some research and time about it again.

OR consider this combination: 17-40mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.2 L, 580EX II.
:D
You forgot: plus 5D. :bsmilie:

Anyways, on a more serious note to TS: you need to ask yourself this question first: what do you feel merits the need to upgrade to an L series lens? Do you need the better build? Image quality? Sharpness? Do think about it 1st before dumping the cash.

Remember: wants and needs are two different things.

You forgot: plus 5D. :bsmilie:

Anyways, on a more serious note to TS: you need to ask yourself this question first: what do you feel merits the need to upgrade to an L series lens? Do you need the better build? Image quality? Sharpness? Do think about it 1st before dumping the cash.

Remember: wants and needs are two different things.

5D is in 2 weeks time ;p For me all my equipment are needs, i never buy 'wants' hehe.

Not picking on you, you have a good selection of gear that suit your needs :D

But the f/1.2 lens isn't a need if you stop it down :D

Honestly i seldom use at the f/1.2 end, usually f/2 at the most. But no choice cos the 50mm L doesn't have a smaller aperture one.

Honestly i seldom use at the f/1.2 end, usually f/2 at the most. But no choice cos the 50mm L doesn't have a smaller aperture one.

Eh, so then is it want or need? Don't need f/1.2 what, so why is there a *need* for L?

ANYWAY, back on topic
What conditions do you want to shoot at Edwinlimlx?

Eh, so then is it want or need? Don't need f/1.2 what, so why is there a *need* for L?

That's the point. If Canon has a 50mm f/2L i'd rather get that cos it'll save me more money. I need L for its contrast, that's y i upgraded all my lenses to L.

That's the point. If Canon has a 50mm f/2L i'd rather get that cos it'll save me more money. I need L for its contrast, that's y i upgraded all my lenses to L.

Me too...Love the colour of L...:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.