Upgrading to D200 (With D300 coming.......)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltake

Oct 10, 2006
Up North......
I have been planning to upgrade my camera from a D70 to a D200 and luckily have been holding on till now....... when news of D300 going to hit the market.

Of course D300 looks 'delicious' but will not sink my $$ into a BBB virus so have decided to stick to my original plan to buy a D200 as I am still a green bird.

Question is :
- would a brand new D200 be dropping in prices with the D300 due to be out in the market in Nov? So should i wait till Nov? How much would the price drop be in the retail market?
- whats about the resale market? Should seller be having a lower expectation in the price they are letting go? (See alot of D200 'popping' out int he B&S forum here).

Any advice from any bro or sis here? Thanks.............

Buy a used D200 when D300 stock arrived in Singapore. Mostly likely not going to be Nov07. Maybe Dec07.

if u like the specs and price of D200...go ahead...or not the waiting game is going to continue forever...

If you like D300...go ahead...the final decision lies with u...

I just want to know whether the price of an 'older' generation is going to drop when the new generation is up in the market and also how much drop will it be if there is any............ :embrass:

I just want to know whether the price of an 'older' generation is going to drop when the new generation is up in the market and also how much drop will it be if there is any............ :embrass:

the market forces will decide...no one will be able to figure that out...

Not much.... Nikon does not shoot itself in the foot by lowering the price of their camera that much. Probably drops by 100 - 200 I suppose. This has actually been discussed in other threads.

Not much.... Nikon does not shoot itself in the foot by lowering the price of their camera that much. Probably drops by 100 - 200 I suppose. This has actually been discussed in other threads.

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by not lowering the prices. The D300 is miles above the D200 in terms of specs, people are calling it the D2Xs killer! If the price difference isn't big enough, the D200 won't sell.

sure drop a lot one. Even if the official price does not drop, the 2nd hand market price will drop as the D300 is really a very compelling upgrade for its price.

I am waiting for fuji s5pro to drop price :)

if i am not wrong, they have stopped producing new D200 cameras and some shops have had no stocks recently

if i am not wrong, they have stopped producing new D200 cameras and some shops have had no stocks recently

Nikon's stated that they will continue producing the D200 along with the D300. I'm guessing the shortage is due to lowered production rates, since the factory that produces the D200 is the same one that makes the D300

Nikon's stated that they will continue producing the D200 along with the D300. I'm guessing the shortage is due to lowered production rates, since the factory that produces the D200 is the same one that makes the D300

ok if that is true, then i am wrong

so, now it is up to nikon to price the cameras

I have been planning to upgrade my camera from a D70 to a D200 and luckily have been holding on till now....... when news of D300 going to hit the market.

Since you already have a D70, it's best to wait, regardless of whether you eventually get the D200 or D300, because if you do get a D200, wait a few months can save a few hundred dollars. :D

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by not lowering the prices. The D300 is miles above the D200 in terms of specs, people are calling it the D2Xs killer! If the price difference isn't big enough, the D200 won't sell.

This is interesting... :think:

Then they may be pricing each differently enough to ensure a gap in choice... D300 should be about 3k rite?

They can't drop D200 below 2 k as this will affect their D80 sales too... so I guess they will still hold it around 2.1k or so...

This is interesting... :think:

Then they may be pricing each differently enough to ensure a gap in choice... D300 should be about 3k rite?

They can't drop D200 below 2 k as this will affect their D80 sales too... so I guess they will still hold it around 2.1k or so...

But the thing is the D300 has specs that pretty much best the D2Xs, a camera with an official price 3 times that of the D200's official price. I don't know why anyone would get a D200 when they can now get the features that used to cost 3 times more for 0.5 times more.. Also many predict the D2X(s) and D2H(s) to rapidly devaluate, what with the D3 taking over as the pro body to have, and the D300 having specs that trump both. I don't think the D2X(s) will dip below the D300's price, but it will be close, so consumers will still have the choice to get that formerly out-of-reach pro body for again, not a lot more.

But yea, it'd definitely affect D80 sales if it drops too much. Nikon might decide to smooth out the price points too. Now that it doesn't cost a lot to jump from D200 to D2X level, it makes sense to shorten the jump from D80 to D200.

Thanks for all the advice bro!! I am still interested in the D200, even though D300 looks compelling to get, like the idea of the 2 CF slot. But looks too professional cam for me at the moment. I am just hoping the price for the D200 (brand new) to drop below $2k.

A brand new D200 would cost about $2190 (any changes in the price?) and would only be interested to get a 2nd hand if its price at around $1800. At $2.19k for a brand new D200, I would rather wait for the new D300. Price difference is worth its added features.........

NIKON!!! Are you hearing us!!! Drop you pants now!!!!:bigeyes:.......... sorry, I mean drop your price now!!!! :bsmilie:

Thanks for all the advice bro!! I am still interested in the D200, even though D300 looks compelling to get, like the idea of the 2 CF slot. But looks too professional cam for me at the moment. I am just hoping the price for the D200 (brand new) to drop below $2k.

A brand new D200 would cost about $2190 (any changes in the price?) and would only be interested to get a 2nd hand if its price at around $1800. At $2.19k for a brand new D200, I would rather wait for the new D300. Price difference is worth its added features.........

NIKON!!! Are you hearing us!!! Drop you pants now!!!!:bigeyes:.......... sorry, I mean drop your price now!!!! :bsmilie:

They would rather discon than drop the prices but from the looks of it, since they have already dropped the prices from about $2.8k, it seems like the D200 is likely to stay. ;p I believe the D300 would be in the region of $3k. Not cheap!

I reckon a D300 will cost $2,900 to $3K. Most likely the D200 price will drop slightly. The main attraction of the D300 as compared to the D200 is the high resolution screen. The extra 2 megapixels at the same frame-size as the D200 will just magnify any lens weaknesses. Still, if you can spare the $$, go for the D300. If you are already on the D200, I would advise, stick to what you already have. The difference in features is not worth it.

I reckon a D300 will cost $2,900 to $3K. Most likely the D200 price will drop slightly. The main attraction of the D300 as compared to the D200 is the high resolution screen. The extra 2 megapixels at the same frame-size as the D200 will just magnify any lens weaknesses. Still, if you can spare the $$, go for the D300. If you are already on the D200, I would advise, stick to what you already have. The difference in features is not worth it.

Hmmm...... will consider taking up the D300 ;p. Maybe just nice with the year end bonus round the corner.;)...ehehhhee....... Christmas present for myself eh :cool:? hahhaha.......... If price of D200 not going to drop much :p, then will seriously consider getting the D300. But feel like its a big jump leh.... :dunno:

From the B&S forum, looks like alot of D200 owners getting rid of their D200 and going for the D300........

The new focusing system and apparently awesome high ISO performance isn't worth it? :O

Status
Not open for further replies.