Upgrading of lens

kaixinxuan

Mar 27, 2012
Hi need some advise of upgrading of lens. I am currently using kit lens 18-55mm. Considering to upgrade to lens with better zoom. Looking into 18-200mm. I have limited budget so looking into buying 2nd hand. Is sigma and tamrom sufficient? Need some advise from seniors. Thanks :)

Any difference in the image quality?

It depends very much what genre of photography ur into...eg,landscape,people,etc.The Canon 18-135mm & 18-200mm are great zoom lens for beginners to learn.Do take note beyond 100mm or more,distortion may start to appear but generally,both lens are great walkabout lens which produces great image quality.As for Sigma & Tamron brands,they are also great lens & it is up to individual preference & budget.The 18-135mm sells about $350 & 18-200mm $550 there about in the Buy & Sell section.Cheers!

Hi need some advise of upgrading of lens. I am currently using kit lens 18-55mm. Considering to upgrade to lens with better zoom. Looking into 18-200mm. I have limited budget so looking into buying 2nd hand. Is sigma and tamrom sufficient? Need some advise from seniors. Thanks :)
Yes 3rd party sufficient. Especially if you are tight on cash. They are good enough.

If you are tight in cash, anything is good enough

If I were you, I'd try for the 18-135mm. See if you can afford that. As mentioned earlier, there may be some good deals in the Buy and Sell segment.

Thanks for the advise. Will there buyers for kit lens? How much can I sell them for? I have searched in wts section. Looks like no sellers for kit lens. Thanks.

Actually I would advise you to keep your 18-55mm lens and get the 55-250mm lens too, just to try out the focal lenght and if it is sufficient or enough for you. There really is no need to jump into getting a 18-200mm immediately.

55-250mm lens is not expensive, very well made and take good and sharp pic. I used it for one of my zoo trip and like it alot.

If changing lens is not too much of an issue (it's a DSLR after all, not a superzoom compact camera), then I second the suggestion of the 55-250IS as a cheap n good addition.

rhino123 said:
Actually I would advise you to keep your 18-55mm lens and get the 55-250mm lens too, just to try out the focal lenght and if it is sufficient or enough for you. There really is no need to jump into getting a 18-200mm immediately.

55-250mm lens is not expensive, very well made and take good and sharp pic. I used it for one of my zoo trip and like it alot.

Those 18-200 lenses, be it original manufacturer or 3rd party, in my opinion, are meant for convenience at the sacrificial of image quality. By getting those super zoom lenses, you are paying much more to replace ur current lens with worse of quality than what a complementing lens can do. You should ask yourself what do you want. Convenience or Quality (with the caveat of a cheaper price tag).

kaixinxuan said:

as others mentioned, 18-200 is a lens of convenience. In terms if iq, many would classify it still under kit lens quality.

Also, depending on what are the stuffs you normally shoot, there are different recommendations. But as a all in one lens, a better iq? not so much difference from your 1855, but for convenience purpose, alot better than 18-55 55-250 combo.

For iq improvement, 1755 or 1750 would be better. But this is only if you are comfortable with this focal range.

So if you want all in one, 18200, better IQ, 1750/55.

Not sure if your question is answered.

I don't know what you intend to shoot, but I am basing this on the assumption that you just want a general purpose lens with a longer focal length. If you don't mind lens changes, I would say that the 18-55 and 55-250 combo is a great for beginners.

1)55-250mm ~ $200-$250
2)18-135mm ~ +/- $300
3)18-200mm ~ +/- $500

I can offer you a 4th option, but it might burst your budget. consider the 15-85mm. It gives you slightly longer range and much better IQ. but this comes at a price $800

Hi thanks all for the advise. Yes i just want a general lens with better focal length. I have not really decided which area i wan to focus on. But just feel that kit lens i not sufficient.especially for street photography. So thinking of upgrading. I have researched on the prices of canon lens. But they are way too expensive.for my budget. So considering third party lens. 18200mm for canon is ard 1k. While tamron is ard 360. I just need a decent lens for my shooting :)

What is your budget?

Ard 350 to 400.

Hi thanks all for the advise. Yes i just want a general lens with better focal length. I have not really decided which area i wan to focus on. But just feel that kit lens i not sufficient.especially for street photography. So thinking of upgrading. I have researched on the prices of canon lens. But they are way too expensive.for my budget. So considering third party lens. 18200mm for canon is ard 1k. While tamron is ard 360. I just need a decent lens for my shooting :)

If you are looking for a all-in-one, 18-200 is definitely a good bet. Also, I guess the pricing 5now5torm is referring to are for 2nd hand lenses.

btw, Just a consideration...IF you have a lens you are eyeing on for it's IQ, it may be worth it to save up for it, than to buy a lens due to budget and find that it's IQ is bad (or you dislike some characteristics of the lens, CA, bokeh etc.)

Last edited:
kaixinxuan said:
Ard 350 to 400.

The only lens which you can buy is 18-135mm for your budget. This is good enough for a multi purpose lens. If you have more budget then i highly suggest the 15-85mm or 17-55mm. Both with IS and USM.

personal preference would be 18-55 and 55-250 combo. That was my setup when I first started.

Ard 350 to 400.

looking to your budget's range, i'd suggest the 2 lenses combo if you want to get more focal length.
18-55 IS and 55-250 IS

else, you can grab 18-135 lens, but u will get shorter focal length.

hope you can get your lens soon :)

A note on the 55-250. The largest aperture is only f/4. Even the Canon literature says it's not very fast. It's good for bright scenes, but you'll need either high ISO or a tripod with low light. I sold off my copy because of this.

i also suggest you use te 55-250 since you have 18-55. if you will be buying the 18-135 or 18-200 then you have no use for the 18-55. as per your budget, you can only get the 18-135 but if you can add 100-150 more you can get a secod hand canon 18-200. for sigma 18-200 there are few issue like on 18mm the background or bokeh is bad and there is a paint peeling of the paint body overtime.for tamron 18-200 well ita not ap sharp as canon and the lens is quite old.im suggesting you get the 18-270 if you want to go with tamron. if im not mistaken the price of the second hand should be thesame as the canon 18-200.hope this helps.cheers