upgrading nikon d60 -> canon 550d

tanglewire

Aug 9, 2010
is this considered a upgrade? i feel the IQ of a d60 not comparable to my canon s95.

it also turns out that the s95 can capture the colors better than my nikon d60.

looking at 550d because i take alot of shots from floor heights and feel the movable live viewer a plus point.

Have you found out those reasons why isnt your d60 performing up to your s95's expectation? And what aspects of IQ are you talking about i.e. sharpness, colours, ISO etc.

tanglewire said:
is this considered a upgrade? i feel the IQ of a d60 not comparable to my canon s95.

looking at 550d because i take alot of shots from floor heights and feel the movable live viewer a plus point.

Perhaps you could do a simple side-by-side comparison to show why your d60 disappoints in comparison to your s95?
550D has quite a few features which D60 lacks.
Ever considered d90? ;)

If you're confident that you can shoot better than your D60 and S95 by using 550D, by all means go and change.

You should stick to Nikon if you already have a few lenses.

However, you are not doing the D60 justice. It is well able to give you good quality photos. What aspect is it lacking wrt S95? If its just colors, they can be customized on the D60. Compact cams typically have vivid more saturated settings to appeal to the layman w/o need to tweak and customize.
If it is sharpness, it needs to be scrutinized as well. Compact cameras will give straight off 'sharp' looking shots. DSLR's typically require some post process (total user control). Look closely at 100% crop and you very often will see digital artifacts for compact cams (esp. at higher ISO).
In fact, the whole point of Pns cameras are that they have already done 'everything' for the layman.

Post some photos from both cameras so that ppl here can help you analyse what is wrong.

Last edited:
well AF-S lens are no doubt more expensive but... If you have 2 or more lens like me

Size... S95 VS D60 is definitely the CC
D60 VS 550D D60 wins by a few MM

what kind of photography you are in People? macro ?

well AF-S lens are no doubt more expensive but... If you have 2 or more lens like me

:dunno:
Don't understand what you're saying... D60 wins what by a few MM?
~blur liao~

Can you translate into english please?

The D60 is miles better than the S95. If you feel it's not, then the problem lies behind the camera, not in the camera itself. A DSLR is designed not to over-process pictures, while a compact will put in a lot of processing. If you switch to a 550D, you'll just get the same pictures you had before.

550D and "movable live view"? The 550D Liveview still stinks with basically no AF and you have to MF. If you frequently shoot from floor height, you should use a camera that has an articulating LCD, like a Nikon D5000, Canon 60D, or the bodies with fast autofocus and a tilting LCD (Sony).

i think u should question first why the hell u buy/use a DSLR when u like the picture out off a pocket camera better than from a DSLR, maybe u like canon's default color processing better for right out jpeg but but there's no way in hell a pocket can beat the pic quality of DSLR because of the sensor(though S95 got bigger sensor for a Pns still not a DSLR class) :bsmilie:

:dunno:
Don't understand what you're saying... D60 wins what by a few MM?
~blur liao~

I think he's talking about the size of the camera. D60 "wins by a few mm" because it's slightly smaller than the 550D. Dunno what he's talking about CC though, but I suspect it just means that S95 is much more portable as it is significantly smaller than the D60.

Anyway, DSLR pictures are meant to be tweaked later in post processing, and if you don't want to post process, set your D60's picture control to vivid and you'll see that the pictures come out better than the S95. If you're looking to upgrade your DSLR, you should get something like a D90. If you really need that "moveable live view", which I think you mean articulating screen, go for the Sony models as they have much faster AF in live view. The D5000 and 60D have articulating screens but their AF in live view is nowhere near Sony's

Last edited:
CC-Compact Camera

Well the story is he likes his Canon Compact S95 than his Nikon D60 and he i changing to Canon 550D because he likes the S95 Pictures

what do you mean by floor height you mean you put the camera on the ground ?

CC-Compact Camera

Well the story is he likes his Canon Compact S95 than his Nikon D60 and he i changing to Canon 550D because he likes the S95 Pictures

what do you mean by floor height you mean you put the camera on the ground ?
I still don't understand the point you're trying to make :dunno:

TS is trying to take many photos from very close to the ground, so having a DSLR with an articulating screen would possibly be useful.

to TS: if u r attracted to articulating LCDs, u can get either the nikon d5000 or the canon 60D.

d5000 is cheaper compared to 60D in terms of "body only" price. however, do consider carefully tho, that switching camps involves more money than upgrading to a newer body within the same camp as u gotta buy new lenses from the other camp instead.

HTH.

just woke up and realise so many valuable comments. really thank you guys for the effort.

yes the articulating LCD screen is a big plus for my photography need. i think it's really fine for me to change camp because i have no collection of lenses except for the 2 kit lenses

just woke up and realise so many valuable comments. really thank you guys for the effort.

yes the articulating LCD screen is a big plus for my photography need. i think it's really fine for me to change camp because i have no collection of lenses except for the 2 kit lenses
yeah I suppose you're not too heavily-invested in the Nikon system. Can switch without too much cost to your pocket :)

At the moment, it seems like Nikon hasn't really embraced the 'articulating LCD' in their DSLRs, the D5k being the notable exception.

Yup. So you could get a D5000 or a 60D, but if you want fast autofocus you need to look at Sony.

It seems like you will use the articulating screen quite a lot, means you will use live view a lot, and in such a case, I think Sony would be the best system for you since its live view AF is much faster than Canon or Nikon.
yeah I suppose you're not too heavily-invested in the Nikon system. Can switch without too much cost to your pocket :)

At the moment, it seems like Nikon hasn't really embraced the 'articulating LCD' in their DSLRs, the D5k being the notable exception.
Even then the D5000's articulating LCD doesn't really work very well. Hinging it at the bottom means using it on a tripod isn't a very good idea. Using it handheld, gotta struggle with the AF or use MF, while trying your best to compose the shot, and then when you shoot, the mirror has to slap down and up again, by the time ur composition gone already.

Even then the D5000's articulating LCD doesn't really work very well. Hinging it at the bottom means using it on a tripod isn't a very good idea. Using it handheld, gotta struggle with the AF or use MF, while trying your best to compose the shot, and then when you shoot, the mirror has to slap down and up again, by the time ur composition gone already.

If you use a small tripod QR plate, does it still block the movement of the LCD? Haven't paid close attention to the design.

If you use a small tripod QR plate, does it still block the movement of the LCD? Haven't paid close attention to the design.

I haven't tried using it on a small tripod QR plate, but on a normal tripod it definitely restricts the movement of the LCD.