Upgrading my C2040Z to C700UZ for 10X Opitcal Zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckling

Jan 19, 2002
Tiong Bahru
Visit site
After handling the C2040Z for a week, I found that what I need is a camera with greater zoom capability. Hence, I am looking at Canon Pro90SI, Olympus C2100UZ or Olympus C700UZ.

I can see that lots of member in HWZ (maybe they're here now) uses the C700UZ, where as only JAYAN (from HWZ) uses C2100UZ.

I am eyeing at the Olympus cos' the Canon is much more expensive - abt $1600 i guess.

Therefore, guys - valuable feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

PS: I was reading dpreview / Steven Cam....the whole evening.:eek:

The C2100UZ probably offers the best bang for bucks if you could get it at the same price as Jayan.

Hi Duckling

I just bought the 2100UZ witha Hoya filter for 950 without GST at Alan Photo yesterday.
If you are really keen, I don mind meeting you and letting you dabble with the camera and even going to Alan with you.

But i do think the 2040 is a good camera
The 10X zoom is fun... I wont deny it but why don you keep 2040 for a while more before making the decision... its been barely three weeks since you bought it.

I own a C700uz and is very satisfied with it. Although without Image Stabliser, you can simple use a tripod to take night shots(if you are serious, you should bet a tripod even for camera wif IS). I like it for the size and weight. It is the smallest 10x zoom camera around and is rated as (half-pocket size). C700uz seems to have better image quality over C2100uz(for my eye).

As for the C2100uz, i've used it be4 and it is also a wonderful machine although it is much heavier and big. It has remote and has IS. The 10x zoom lense is slower than C700uz.

So.. If you like to bring your camera around whenever you go out, get C700uz.
If you don't you can try C2100uz.

C2100uz is introduced in 1998. C700uz is very recent.. probably a year ago.

Originally posted by Ninja
The C700's has a faster lens same as your C2040 than the slower C2100uz.

The C700UZ does not have the same fast lens as the 2040. It has the same slow lens as the C2100UZ (F2.8-3.5).

Now then I know why ppl say that photography is a expensive hobby ;)

:p that's why it's important to get a good first camera to match your needs. but often, you won't know what you're really looking for until you get one.

Originally posted by mpenza
:p that's why it's important to get a good first camera to match your needs. but often, you won't know what you're really looking for until you get one.

How long does it take to really explore the whole camera in terms of features and functions?:confused:

greatly depends on the individual. some people could take half an hour while some could take months :p

greatly depends on the individual. some people could take half an hour while some could take months :p

How long did you take?:)

Originally posted by fusetrips

How long did you take?:)

It took me... hmm.... 7 months before I realise my first real digicam (Fujifilm 4700Z) did not meet all my needs. I was taking photos of the Big Ben in London and the pics turn out awful due to blooming and insufficient exposure. Decided then to get one with more manual features and offers expandability via filters and converters. The 4700Z is not a bad camera. It's small, easy to use, capture great colors and has one of the best video recording then (80s with sound!!!). The resolution is also not bad (2.4MP).

My first cam was a old MX500. Used about 2 mths and got hooked. Then go buy C700uz =P .

We both started with a Fujifilm camera :p I would've gotten the C700UZ if it were a bit cheaper then.

The C700UZ does not have the same fast lens as the 2040. It has the same slow lens as the C2100UZ (F2.8-3.5).

Yup....the Oly C-2100uz and C-700uz are have F2.8 lens....only the Oly C-x040z series has F1.8 fast lens. :D

We both started with a Fujifilm camera :p I would've gotten the C700UZ if it were a bit cheaper then.

Me too...I started with a Fuji MX series 1.3MP DC. :D

Originally posted by sebastiansong
Hi Duckling

I just bought the 2100UZ witha Hoya filter for 950 without GST at Alan Photo yesterday.
If you are really keen, I don mind meeting you and letting you dabble with the camera and even going to Alan with you.

The 10X zoom is fun... I wont deny it but why don you keep 2040 for a while more before making the decision... its been barely three weeks since you bought it.

Hi Sebastian....that's quite a gd deal..so total u paid $978.50 incl. GST is it??? :p

Originally posted by sebastiansong
Hi Duckling

Don't sell it so soon....it's quite a good DC....why not u consider adding a TC to increase the zoom??? The 52mm threaded Oly 1.9x C-210 is selling for $70 in Mustafa. :)

Can't he just buy a zoom len to get the 10X or more he wanted?

Seen a guy do that with his A20!

Originally posted by Jayan

Don't sell it so soon....it's quite a good DC....why not u consider adding a TC to increase the zoom??? The 52mm threaded Oly 1.9x C-210 is selling for $70 in Mustafa. :)

There'll be vignetting.....

Originally posted by binbeto
Can't he just buy a zoom len to get the 10X or more he wanted?

Seen a guy do that with his A20!

A sharpshooter (8x) would do. But he won't be able to use the whole zoom range.

Status
Not open for further replies.