Upgrading Lens

devoidedlife

Dec 12, 2010
Hi guys I need your opinion on this matter, currently Im using D90 with the kit lens. However I do find that the zoom is abit limited hence I am thinking of upgrading to a 18-200. Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of the lens?

if distance is a problem, you can consider the 55-300mm. brand new is less than 500 I think. at least then it doesnt overlap the 18-55 that you are having now or is yours the 18-105 (cannot remember which is d90's kit) or a 2nd hand 55-200 which is about 200 2nd hand?

Last edited:
im using the 18-105 kit. may i ask whats the different between the 55-300 and the 70-300? which is better? and is the 18-200 lens better than my kit lens in terms of quality?

if you don't like changing lens, 18-200. i find the iq diff between 18-55, 18-105, 18-200, 55-200, not to be signficantly discernable...

there are also of course lenses like sigma 18-250 and tamron 18-270...

personally i think the 16-85 and 70-300 make a magnificent combo... that combo you can see the iq diff...

im using the 18-105 kit. may i ask whats the different between the 55-300 and the 70-300? which is better? and is the 18-200 lens better than my kit lens in terms of quality?

the 55-300 is for DX format only
70-300 can be used on DX and FX, which makes it more expensive despite the shorter range

is there any difference in terms of picture quality.I dont wan to compremise quality over the price

is there any difference in terms of picture quality.I dont wan to compremise quality over the price

IMO if you take the 18-200mm, or any of the other kit lens, there's no real compromise in IQ & you have the greater range you desire. But you have to accept distortions at both ends that is quite normal for lens of these ranges; if you can't accept this, then its a no no. I've taken thousands of shots with this lens & its IQ still surprises, in addition to its versatility, macro included (maybe I'm lucky to have a sharp copy). If cost no object, IQ more important, lens change no problem, then can go for the combo as was mentioned..

This link may help answer some of your questions...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Last edited:
personally i feel that if you are planning to take most of your shots indoors, the 18-200 might be a little bit of a problem. however, for outdoor shooting in nice and bright daylight, the 18-200 is a very :thumbsup: lens.

just my 2 cents, cheers!

So what is ur verdict?

For me, I have this lens for more than 2 years & its still with me even if I have other lens, so this speaks for itself :thumbsup: But you have to decide for yourself as expectations, requirements etc differ. Best you go actually try it out yourself first...

I have both this 18-200 as well as the combo :)

Last edited:
well ok i will go try the 55-300 70-300 and also the 18-200. Guess its really down to which i prefer and suits my needs.

18-200 is one step back in IQ, one step forward in convenience. The IQ is worse than 18-105.

All 55-200, 55-300 and 70-300 are all superior to the 18-200 in their respective ranges.

It appears your perceived limitation is the "reach", so going for the longer range will bring better results.

IMHO forget 18-200. 55-200 can be had for spare change in BnS.

so between 55-300 and 70-300? which is better? the price difference not really a problem.

If you've got budget for the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VRII then ditch any plans of getting a cheaper alternative. I once owned this lens but sold it off after I converted to faster FX lenses. I was very impressed with the VR performance of the lens, and at 200mm, you will need really steady hands to pull of decent shots especially when lighting is not ample. :)

any1 have the price updates for 70-300? places to recommend? seen the price guides not sure if prices have changed and also havnt had the time to check out pricing myself.

any1 have the price updates for 70-300? places to recommend? seen the price guides not sure if prices have changed and also havnt had the time to check out pricing myself.

Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

John 3:16 - S$850.00
MS Color (AMK) - S$750.00

Quotations were got beginning of November.

If willing to go grey,
DD electronics - S$680.00

All prices include GST.

All the best. It's a lovely lens.

However I do find that the zoom is abit limited

Sorry that I might have wrong perception... But what's your prefered focal length? If you are not going to print it at large; and if it's not too far from your expected focal length, I would suggest you to crop the photo instead of upgrading the lens.

Somehow I think D90's 12.3MP allow you to play with it if you are just a casual shooter.

Or course, if you have the bullet... just go ahead and get the 18-200. Despite the IQ (which I find it's reasonable after sharpening on screen), it's a very convenient lens.