Upgrading from NEX5! Which DSLR?

GegeV2

Oct 5, 2009
Hi guys,

as mentioned, after using NEX5 as my main camera for almost 2years, I'm interested in getting my first "proper" DSLR.

I have done some homework, and narrowed down my choices, however I can't decide, so would hope to hear what others feel/opinions.

Basically, I'm looking at either the Canon 60D or the Sony A65.

I would hope to get a set for less then $1700.

Why not 600D?
I understand that both are similar in their own ways ,but the 60D has better features and handling etc.

A77?
Yes, the A77 was my first choice.
But looking at the price, and after some considerations, I figured the A65 would be a more economical option.

No Nikon?
I have used both the D7000 and D90 for some time, and didn't really like it, personal preference i guess.

So what do you guys think? MAybe current users/the pros/anyone can advise me :dunno:

SkyStrike

Staff member
Nov 29, 2010
Somewhere
After doing your homework, what do you expect to get out of your existing nex 5 with this new dslr?

Btw, I don't see how improper is the nex 5...

Last edited:

GegeV2

Oct 5, 2009
hahas dun get me wrong, I did not specifically mean the nex5 is improper. my bad on the wrong choice of words.

I plan on keeping my Nex5 too.

Let's just say, I want something different, and hope that ppl can steer me in the right direction, in the context of getting a new dslr.

After doing your homework, what do you expect to get out of your existing nex 5 with this new dslr?

Btw, I don't see how improper is the nex 5...

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Well...the Canon 60D is a pretty decent choice considering it is a pro-amateur level dslr...But on top of that its actually what u are looking for in a dslr which is more important like what are your requirements eg,build quality,how fast the camera can shoot,etc...Or should i say what do you think that the NEX5 is lacking in or restricting you.The same applies to the Nikon D7000 & D90,both are competent in their own rights.What do you want in a camera body...?But as you have mentioned you have done your homework(Goggle or Youtube),maybe you should go down to the shops to have an actual feel of the 60D in hand to be more realistic.Cheers!

TWmilkteaTW

May 30, 2011
hahas dun get me wrong, I did not specifically mean the nex5 is improper. my bad on the wrong choice of words.

I plan on keeping my Nex5 too.

Let's just say, I want something different, and hope that ppl can steer me in the right direction, in the context of getting a new dslr.
hmm so what are you exactly looking for in the New DSLR that the Nex 5 dosent have or offer? Or you just feel like having/carrying a DSLR..

how different.. if you dontknow or dont/cant tell us what you are looking for besides saying " i wanted something different" there is no way we can help you.

Last edited:

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
After reading the FAQ on "What DSLR to get?", what are your requirements for features?

Basically...

1. Do you want high resolution and dynamic range?
2. Do you want high FPS?
3. Do you want fast AF in live view?
4. Do you want fast AF in video?
5. Do you want live effects preview?
6. Do you want in-body IS?

GegeV2

Oct 5, 2009
hmm so what are you exactly looking for in the New DSLR that the Nex 5 dosent have or offer? Or you just feel like having/carrying a DSLR..

how different.. if you dontknow or dont/cant tell us what you are looking for besides saying " i wanted something different" there is no way we can help you.
Basically,

24p video
shutter lag/shutter speed
manual settings/controls wise
the limitation of lenses available, a better flash would be good. viewfinder, better battery life.

Yes, the NEX5 has other features, that the Canon 60D lacks, but these extra features are present in the Sony's SLT range as well.

I hope I'm more clear :sweat:

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
24p video - Both have, and the A65 also offers PDAF
shutter lag/shutter speed - The Sony has the shortest shutter lag, but the fastest shutter speed is 1/4000th vs the 60D 1/8000th
manual settings/controls wise - Both oso have
the limitation of lenses available - Sure, Canon has more lenses (especially with their constant revisions) but for common focal lengths all offer good lenses.
a better flash would be good - The Sony 58 is awesome - love the swivel head
viewfinder - This is where OVF vs EFV comes into play, with the pros and cons of both.
better battery life - I believe the 60D has better battery life due to the "always on" liveview of the A65.

Also, consider that the EA1 and EA2 adapters can let you use Alpha lenses on your Nex too.

rhino123

Staff member
Sep 1, 2006
NA
Get the A65. It offers more features at a lesser price. And since you have used the Sony before, I think the functionity is almost the same.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I'd suggest you think carefully over this, cause a 60D won't give you too much over a NEX5 in terms of picture quality.
What you may gain with it though is handling, faster PDAF, OVF and more (esp. fast) lens options.

In that line of thought (getting more out of getting a DSLR), I'd even consider a used 5D and 3 plastic fantastics (ie. 35/1.8; 50/1.8; 85/1.8) just to get a more different experience over the NEX.
Else a system like m4/3 (it has fast lens options and small size).
To me NEX5 to 60D is a lateral move rather than moving up by much.

The decision is yours of course ;)

GegeV2

Oct 5, 2009
Yeah! I mean, like for all the times I been using the NEX5, the pictures that came out of it, many ppl did not believe it came from that small lil thing. the image quality is just simply stunning~

Aside from the 60D, how bout the A65? Its yet again another "new tech" from SONY

I'd suggest you think carefully over this, cause a 60D won't give you too much over a NEX5 in terms of picture quality.
What you may gain with it though is handling, faster PDAF, OVF and more (esp. fast) lens options.

In that line of thought (getting more out of getting a DSLR), I'd even consider a used 5D and 3 plastic fantastics (ie. 35/1.8; 50/1.8; 85/1.8) just to get a more different experience over the NEX.
Else a system like m4/3 (it has fast lens options and small size).
To me NEX5 to 60D is a lateral move rather than moving up by much.

The decision is yours of course ;)

kei1309

Apr 12, 2010
Earth
www.facebook.com
Yeah! I mean, like for all the times I been using the NEX5, the pictures that came out of it, many ppl did not believe it came from that small lil thing. the image quality is just simply stunning~

Aside from the 60D, how bout the A65? Its yet again another "new tech" from SONY
don't really like the handling of the A65. i would rather go for the A77. with the ease of access via all the buttons, it's a no-brainer if you ask me to choose between the 60D and A65. the difference from the A65, is that the A77 offers you more control with more buttons, as well as top LCD and the articulated screen. also, the choice of having the vertical grip (which the A65 doesn't have) is a total plus point.

GegeV2

Oct 5, 2009
Yea, A77 is what I initially wanted. But i have to keep into a certain budget :(

don't really like the handling of the A65. i would rather go for the A77. with the ease of access via all the buttons, it's a no-brainer if you ask me to choose between the 60D and A65. the difference from the A65, is that the A77 offers you more control with more buttons, as well as top LCD and the articulated screen. also, the choice of having the vertical grip (which the A65 doesn't have) is a total plus point.

rhino123

Staff member
Sep 1, 2006
NA
I voted for A65 too since A77 is out of your budget. But would advice that you go down the shop and test up these cameras yourself to see if it suits you.

Not to forget adding in the Pentax K-5 in your selection too.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007

The lines between DSLR and other systems have certainly blurred over the past 2-3yrs.

A65, I think you better check it out at a Sony store.
Personally, I think its a waste of money.
Its just 24mp of close to what you already have on the NEX and arguably poor high ISO performance due to the SLT. (sample comparison s on DPR and IR)
You do get more fps (to what end do ppl want even more fps? might as well shoot 30fps and select the needed frame (ie. video) :D ), better handling and faster AF of course.

I'd like to say look at the K5 too, but then again same sensor as the NEX, but it does offer more than the 60D (ie. in-camera shake reduction; HDR; small primes; better high ISO; best APS-C DR).

My frank advise is to wait. Wait and see what is coming out by around Sept (Photokina). You don't have an urgent need to get another camera.
Look at what is coming out in the year and at least get something that will offer a bit more than what the NEX5 is providing you now.
At worse, you get that A65 or D60 at a cheaper price later in the year. ;)

Feb 14, 2012
bryank.myfotojournal.com
GegeV2 said:
Yea, A77 is what I initially wanted. But i have to keep into a certain budget :(
if your intention is to upgrade why not get the best? because if you get the middle one due to budget, you will be thinking of upgrade soon after sometime. a77 will be better off a65 with consideration of the weather sealed body and much better performance and with that specs, it will last you longer before you upgrade again.

brapodam

Jun 12, 2009
AMK
I would recommend the Sony. Since you already use Sony, the interface would already make sense to you. Getting a camera of another brand can be confusing. I've used both Nikon and Canon at the same event once, and it was very confusing switching from one to the other. So don't get the Canon, it'll only confuse you since you have to remember and get used to 2 different interfaces, which can get very frustrating sometimes.

Top Bottom