Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

CTRRR

May 12, 2010
Hi, would like to seek advise from the bros here on whether I should upgrade to 5D2 or not 

Am currently using 7D and have the following lens or in the near future.

1) Sigma 20mm 1.8 / Canon 20mm 2.8 ( Still deciding )
2) Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.4 ( Leaning towards Sigma )
3) Canon 85mm 1.8
4) Canon 135L
5) Canon 100-400
6) 18-55 & 55-250mm ( Bought them together with my 500D for my GF cause its light )

Please feel free to suggest on item 1 & 2 if you have experienced the lens.

Given that im using a 7D, I would like to know how great is the improvements from 7D to 5D2 in terms of colors and sharpness and the low light high ISO which MkII is famous for

I have been using 500D for a while and do not have any problems with the fps nor the AF ( Unless someone tells me that 5D2 is slower than 500D on the AF portion ?? )

I know that I will miss some function on the 7D ( One touch this and one touch that )but do not need them when Im using the 500D previously so I guess I can live without it.

Also, one thing to consider is that I do not have a shooting preference ( Potrait, landscape, sports etc ) which means I just shoot everything and also I do not know much about post processing. I use canon DPP for adjustment and sharpening.

With such amazing post processing skills any bros thinks that Im eligible to change to 5D2?

And let me know if i have left out any important points in my consideration process:D

Thanks alot in advance

haha I don't really think theres much difference in the colors and sharpness even if you upgrade. You should just stick to your 7D

Unfortunately, using 5DII doesn't really make your photo turn out fantastic automatically. Only correct shooting techniques will reduce the need to do amazing post processing

I feel the main factor in upgrading is deciding on what type of lense range you like to use

if you're not specializing on something, 7D would be just fine for general use.

but for the sake of just upgrading and if you can, go ahead.;)

5d mark 2 will give u better high iso...

that's one advantage of FF lah...

kenrockwell says FF gives better picture quality even when lousy lens is used...

with ff you can print larger print. but that is if u r a pro.

that's the 3 advantages i can see so far.

but composition and exposure etc... is most imp ... many great photos are taken by crop camera....

so it seems to me the only advantage is better hi iso pictures only lor....

hi TS

i re read kenrockwell article on ff advantage..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/full-frame-advantage.htm

now i am having second thoughts... he is saying ff givesu better pic and sharper pic at 100% ... but for me i don't view pic at 100%...

so perhaps u can ignore those 2 advantages lah...

pai seh

With such amazing post processing skills any bros thinks that Im eligible to change to 5D2?

Photos for comparison can be found on flickr. They have a really nice feature called camera finder. That will allow you to judge what both cameras are capable of in the right hands. You will probably not find much difference in color and sharpness.

If you need more sharpness, lens are the way to go. If you need better low light performance, its time to upgrade.

I'm sure you know that photos will not improve that much since you already upgraded once from 500D to 7D. So, you are eligible once you can afford to upgrade ;)

It's your money... If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.

haha I don't really think theres much difference in the colors and sharpness even if you upgrade. You should just stick to your 7D

Unfortunately, using 5DII doesn't really make your photo turn out fantastic automatically. Only correct shooting techniques will reduce the need to do amazing post processing

I feel the main factor in upgrading is deciding on what type of lense range you like to use

Oh isit? Read all over the net that 5d2 users are always shouting on the colors the camera produce??

And i totally agree on the shooting techniques and in terms of range, I like a wide angle prime Which works on ff where a wide prime on a crop is either expensive or not wide enough :)

if you're not specializing on something, 7D would be just fine for general use.

but for the sake of just upgrading and if you can, go ahead.;)

Haha it's not for the sake of upgrading but just that I still have a 500d if I need the extra reach from the crop factor hence starting to see if there are any improvements :)

Hi, would like to seek advise from the bros here on whether I should upgrade to 5D2 or not 

Am currently using 7D and have the following lens or in the near future.

1) Sigma 20mm 1.8 / Canon 20mm 2.8 ( Still deciding )
2) Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.4 ( Leaning towards Sigma )
3) Canon 85mm 1.8
4) Canon 135L
5) Canon 100-400
6) 18-55 & 55-250mm ( Bought them together with my 500D for my GF cause its light )

Please feel free to suggest on item 1 & 2 if you have experienced the lens.

Given that im using a 7D, I would like to know how great is the improvements from 7D to 5D2 in terms of colors and sharpness and the low light high ISO which MkII is famous for

I have been using 500D for a while and do not have any problems with the fps nor the AF ( Unless someone tells me that 5D2 is slower than 500D on the AF portion ?? )

I know that I will miss some function on the 7D ( One touch this and one touch that )but do not need them when Im using the 500D previously so I guess I can live without it.

Also, one thing to consider is that I do not have a shooting preference ( Potrait, landscape, sports etc ) which means I just shoot everything and also I do not know much about post processing. I use canon DPP for adjustment and sharpening.

And let me know if i have left out any important points in my consideration process:D

Thanks alot in advance

Based on what you've written above, I would like to post you the following questions:
1. In your opinion what makes one ELIGIBLE for an upgrade? :dunno:
2. From what I gathered, it seems that you are already pretty contented with your 500D and 7D. If that is the case why are you thinking of an upgrade? (i.e. what's your main motive of upgrading?)